S4's built in "Remote Viewfinder" + Nexus 10?

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I searched for a while on Google and I couldn't find anything... My Galaxy S4 has a feature built into the camera called remote viewfinder, not to be confused with the multiple separate apps by Samsung in the Play Store also called remote viewfinder. I know it can be used to connect two S4s, but I want to use the screen on my Nexus 10 to control the S4 camera. I tried to connect them via NFC but it failed.

I know the S4 and Nexus 10 already have a hard time using NFC together so I read the "about" in the camera app and saw that all the NFC does is set up a WiFi direct connection for the camera stream. I tried manually connecting the two devices via WiFi Direct and to my surprise the camera did recognize the connection.

Unfortunately, the S4 said my Nexus 10 was not compatible. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the remote viewfinder apps in the Play store are not for the S4.

Can anyone help me? Is there some app or setting I can change? Could I install the original S4 camera apk on my tablet some how so they could work to the same thing gether? Is there a 3rd party app that can achieve the same thing across the two? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I searched for a while on Google and I couldn't find anything... My Galaxy S4 has a feature built into the camera called remote viewfinder, not to be confused with the multiple separate apps by Samsung in the Play Store also called remote viewfinder. I know it can be used to connect two S4s, but I want to use the screen on my Nexus 10 to control the S4 camera. I tried to connect them via NFC but it failed.

I know the S4 and Nexus 10 already have a hard time using NFC together so I read the "about" in the camera app and saw that all the NFC does is set up a WiFi direct connection for the camera stream. I tried manually connecting the two devices via WiFi Direct and to my surprise the camera did recognize the connection.

Unfortunately, the S4 said my Nexus 10 was not compatible. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the remote viewfinder apps in the Play store are not for the S4.

Can anyone help me? Is there some app or setting I can change? Could I install the original S4 camera apk on my tablet some how so they could work to the same thing gether? Is there a 3rd party app that can achieve the same thing across the two? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
You can't install the S4's APK on the Nexus 10. It needs the TouchWiz framework for it to work.
Only way I see this working is if you use a 3rd party app that works on both the tablet and phone, but I'm not aware of any. Maybe someone else knows of such an app :)

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. :-\ not the news I wanted to hear but maybe there is a third party app... or maybe still some other way to trick my S4 without installing touch-wiz and all that on the tablet. I'm sure there are many people who would benefit from this, particularly if any android device could do it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
or maybe still some other way to trick my S4 without installing touch-wiz and all that on the tablet. I'm sure there are many people who would benefit from this, particularly if any android device could do it.

Can't be done, unfortunately. Even on my S4, getting the TouchWiz camera to work with my AOSP ROM would be a hassle. I've only seen one ROM that supported the TouchWiz camera, but it was an S4 ROM. As far as I know, not even a custom ROM would make it work on the Nexus :-\

Posted via Android Central App

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh :-( Well maybe someone knows of a third party app that would work? In my experience most third party camera apps that send live camera data screw it up, like most apps that turn an old android phone into an IP security camera, the feed looks distorted or is not at the correct ratrio.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay