Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Galaxy s4 headphone plugged volume issue

Hello,

When I plug in my headphones into my Galaxy S4, it sets the media volume to about 60% volume. When the headphones are plugged in, the volume buttons don't adjust the media volume, they still adjust the phone volume. Then when I unplug the headphones, it resets the volume to whatever it was before the headphones were plugged in.

I want it to not change my media volume at all when I plug-in/unplug my headphones. My brother has the same phone, and plugging headphones into his phone doesn't change the media volume. How can I fix this issue? Thanks!

Default Re: Galaxy s4 headphone plugged volume issue

The phone is supposed to change the media volume when you plug in headphones, so it's not a glitch or error. If you're not playing music or media at the time, then the volume buttons will default to ringtone volume. I don't think you can prevent the phone from changing media volume when you plug in/unplug a headset, however it should treat both instances as different things, so if you set it to 80% with headphones in and unplug them, and it goes to 40%, then when you plug them back in it should go back to 80% again.

Their might be a third party app that allows you to set both media volumes to each other, or lock one to the other, but I've never seen such a thing. Personally I appreciate the feature, wouldn't want my headphones to be blasting the moment I plug them in!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Thanks, I see.

I downloaded Tasker and setup a task that maxes out the media volume when either I plug in the headphones, open up Poweramp, or open up Google Maps, and have it set the media volume to zero when neither of those things are happening. I listen to my music and navigate only in my car, so I want the media volume maxed out when I plug the phone into the auxilary jack of my car so I can just control the volume via the car's volume knob.

Tasker is a handy app, glad you were able to use it to solve this issue. Just remember your Tasker settings if you ever decide to use your phone's headphone jack for something else!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

lol, yeah. I'm sure it'll only take one time of me going to listen to a song via headphones and having it blast really loud music in my ears for me to always remember that the media volume is likely at max volume.

It took me a while to get the tasks correct, since I didn't want the media volume to drop back down to zero if I unplugged my headphones but still had Maps open, etc. So what I did was I made a reference counter called %mediaReferenceCounter that starts at zero when the device is booted. Then if I either plug in headphones, open poweramp, or open maps, %mediaReferenceCounter gets incremented by 1. If I end either of those tasks, it decrements %mediaReferenceCounter by 1. Then it checks if %mediaReferenceCounter is greater than zero, and if it is (that means something else [either plugged in headphones, powermap, or maps] is still wanting max volume, so) I set the media volume to max, else, I set it to zero. That sadly took me way too long to figure out, lol.