1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Kies Saved My Day

Soo, I'm new to the mobile "hacking/development" world but been obsessed with technology, breaking computers just to fix them, and building computers and such. I recently looked into rooting my GS4, currently running 4.3:MK2 build, and possibly putting custom ROM or CynogenMod onto it. So I started the root process with SafeRoot and it's was all good and dandy, then I downloaded SafeStrap to backup and possibly put the new ROM on. I places CynogenMod onto my SD card, booted to safestrap, then backup, and wiped everything....including my SD card...and proceeded to reboot the phone...rookie mistake. I went to turn it back on and behold, nothing but the Samsung custom with the little unlocked, pad lock. Using my little knowledge of these devices and how they worked, I went to the forums for more info, I discovered some software that you could connect your phone to and flash the stock ROM back to your phone. To no avail I kept encountering a AUTH! error. So I finally discovered Kies, connected my phone, put the model and EIN number in, then put my phone in ODIN mode and let Kies to it magic. There I went from thinking I had totally ruined my phone for good and would have to pay $$$ to gey it fixed to a fresh ROM. I the. Proceeded to root and re install safestrap once all was said and done and now I can say it feels faster than ever and the battery has lasted a lot longer, haven't charged in over 24 hrs on regular use of social media, calls, texts, YouTube etc..I'm only at 20% but that's quite the feat for me. Must be the bloat ware I removed with System App Remover and CPU Tuner. Are there any other apps I should know about for rooted phones? I've looked but haven't really found a direct answe. Thanks everyone for your time and reading.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,801 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Samsung Kies Saved My Day

Quote Originally Posted by rmcdonell318 View Post
    Soo, I'm new to the mobile "hacking/development" world but been obsessed with technology, breaking computers just to fix them, and building computers and such. I recently looked into rooting my GS4, currently running 4.3:MK2 build, and possibly putting custom ROM or CynogenMod onto it. So I started the root process with SafeRoot and it's was all good and dandy, then I downloaded SafeStrap to backup and possibly put the new ROM on. I places CynogenMod onto my SD card, booted to safestrap, then backup, and wiped everything....including my SD card...and proceeded to reboot the phone...rookie mistake. I went to turn it back on and behold, nothing but the Samsung custom with the little unlocked, pad lock. Using my little knowledge of these devices and how they worked, I went to the forums for more info, I discovered some software that you could connect your phone to and flash the stock ROM back to your phone. To no avail I kept encountering a AUTH! error. So I finally discovered Kies, connected my phone, put the model and EIN number in, then put my phone in ODIN mode and let Kies to it magic. There I went from thinking I had totally ruined my phone for good and would have to pay $$$ to gey it fixed to a fresh ROM. I the. Proceeded to root and re install safestrap once all was said and done and now I can say it feels faster than ever and the battery has lasted a lot longer, haven't charged in over 24 hrs on regular use of social media, calls, texts, YouTube etc..I'm only at 20% but that's quite the feat for me. Must be the bloat ware I removed with System App Remover and CPU Tuner. Are there any other apps I should know about for rooted phones? I've looked but haven't really found a direct answe. Thanks everyone for your time and reading.

Welcome to the forums.
    Glad you are back up and running.
    Do you have a custom recovery installed? I would use that to make a backup of your ROM.
    Otherwise Titanium Backup for apps.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    Glad you are back up and running.
    Do you have a custom recovery installed? I would use that to make a backup of your ROM.
    Otherwise Titanium Backup for apps.
    Use the safestrap recovery to make a full backup. +1 on Titanium Backup. But be careful with it. It's a very powerful app. You will not be able to flash ASOP roms-- only Touchwiz based roms, but I think you would enjoy Hyperdrive rom by sbreen94. Release 13 of HD rom is imminent. He has safestrap versions. HD was about the 3rd or 4th rom I tried and I keep coming back to it . Nothing else is close.
    BTW, trying put a custom recovery other than safestrap on any thing but a developer edition or lokied MDK build will result in the problem you experienced. (Don't know about GPE)
    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have always used Hyperdrive as I bought my phone post MDK. It is flashed on my stock room slot and works flawlessly. I would ultimately prefer cyanogen or aosp but I have HD customized to be pretty close to Google edition.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for all your help!