Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By plansta
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy s4 got HOT

So I had my galaxy s4 charging under my pillow last night when I just woke up to notice the charge led flashing red and the phone at 50 or greater degrees Celsius. I think the charger got caught on some of the cloth in the pillow and I'm lucky to be alive right now but what should I do I am extremely prone to setting the phone like that when I'm done and I don't think that in this day and age that our smartphones are going to burn down our houses. I don't know if the phone has sustained any damage but you know who's getting a call tomorrow.
    Edit: no internal damage running a virus scan to see if android 4.3 is going to try to burn down other peoples houses
    Edible Walrus likes this.

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy s4 got HOT

There have been reports of Samsung S3 and S4 devices getting very hot while charging. No idea how many are real and how many are just bogus. Google "Galaxy S4 got hot" and you'll see.

What I can recommend is NOT stuffing your phone under your pillow at night. Leave it beside instead - screen down, battery side up. As well, take the phone out of it's case (if you use one) while charging. The case will trap the heat instead of allowing it to escape.

Now that your phone got that hot it might have affected the battery. Between your phone and your battery there are built-in charging circuits that SHOULD prevent charging when the battery is above a certain tempurature, but it is something to be aware of. Batteries that have been repeatedly exposed to hot temperatures like that will generally have a shorter lifespan. (They may not last as long before being "worn out" from all the recharges, or they may not last as long per charge, or both). This is not always true but a good general rule.

Good luck, I hope you find a resolution to your issue
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile