Blank Boot Screen After Turning On

chaddley

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to forums, so if I'm doing something wrong feel free to tell me. By the way, I tend to be very wordy and blab, so to gist everything up, read everything in bold.

Anyways, on my SGS4, I decided to root it using the saferoot method since the other methods I have tried are rejected thanks to the stupid KNOX add-in Samsung sneaked in on 4.3. I installed ROM Toolbox since someone had suggested it, and I found the feature that can change the boot animation, and of course I was clueless and decided to play around with it, which was a huge mistake. 2 hours later I learn that Samsung phones use a different type of boot animation, with the .qmg file extension, and the boot animation will not change via the app. Anyways, I have no idea what had happened, but after uninstalling ROM Toolbox, the boot animation is completely gone, and that not only bugs me, but it pissed me off. When the phone starts up, I see the Samsung Galaxy S4 initial screen, but then when the boot animation is supposed to kick in, it's blank; all that happens is the usual sound plays. I was also clueless in the fact that I did not back anything up. The phone and everything else works fine, it's just that stupid boot animation that bugs me. Any ideas? I've already tried replacing the .qmg files in the /system/media directory, but no luck.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to forums, so if I'm doing something wrong feel free to tell me. By the way, I tend to be very wordy and blab, so to gist everything up, read everything in bold.

Anyways, on my SGS4, I decided to root it using the saferoot method since the other methods I have tried are rejected thanks to the stupid KNOX add-in Samsung sneaked in on 4.3. I installed ROM Toolbox since someone had suggested it, and I found the feature that can change the boot animation, and of course I was clueless and decided to play around with it, which was a huge mistake. 2 hours later I learn that Samsung phones use a different type of boot animation, with the .qmg file extension, and the boot animation will not change via the app. Anyways, I have no idea what had happened, but after uninstalling ROM Toolbox, the boot animation is completely gone, and that not only bugs me, but it pissed me off. When the phone starts up, I see the Samsung Galaxy S4 initial screen, but then when the boot animation is supposed to kick in, it's blank; all that happens is the usual sound plays. I was also clueless in the fact that I did not back anything up. The phone and everything else works fine, it's just that stupid boot animation that bugs me. Any ideas? I've already tried replacing the .qmg files in the /system/media directory, but no luck.

When you changed the file, did you also change the permissions?

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I do believe you need to flash a kernal that supports custom boot animations. Then use rom toolbox. And yes make sure the permissions are the same you can change them with root browser that's in rom toolbox.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

chaddley

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Is this how it is supposed to look? I have no what I am doing :-! to be honest haha. With the current permissions, it still does not show the boot animation. Should I check and of the last three? I don't know what they do but I'm not risking bricking my phone if that's what it's going to do lol. 2014-01-30 20.06.19.jpg.

The bootsamsungloop.qmg is also has the same permissions as the attached image.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
No. See all those permission behind your pop-up, it needs to match those. Detick all of the executes and group/write and others/write. Set permissions and reboot.

chaddley

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh okay I see what you mean. After doing that however, no luck. I know it's not necessary to actually have a boot animation but it bugs me that I have no idea why it is not working. Any other ideas? Thanks by the way!

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Did you make a nandroid before replacing the file? You could just restore to that. Or download the boot ani zip and flash it in your custom recovery. You still may need to flash a custom kernal though.

chaddley

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I did not back anything up at the time - learned my lesson! From what I learned online, the stock Samsung ROM is not compatible with flashing boot animations or the like, which really sucks. I'm still looking for the root cause for this issue is, although no luck as of right now.