Is there a general search function that allows you to search the phone (for songs, apps, etc...)

slowlearner7

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Thanks in advanced for your help. I'm hopeless when it comes to Android so your help is appreciated. Apologies if this question has been posed elsewhere in the forum. Maybe because of it's simplicity, I can't seem to find it.

Is there a general search function that allows me to search my phone across different apps? So for example, search for songs, emails, etc...

To people who are familiar with iPhones, I'm essentially asking if there's a feature similar to the search bar you have on there.

Go easy-

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Yes, but Google Search can only do this in a somewhat limited way. Go to Google Settings>Search>Phone Search, then check off the various areas you want to search on the device. On my Nexus 5, I can choose to search for specific Apps, Chrome bookmarks/web history, Contacts, Google Play Books, Play Movies, and Play Music. Other 3rd party apps might be searchable as well.

There are apps you can install from Google Play that give you more functionality. Quick Search might be useful.