Is it just me or do Samsung phones have a lot of issues?

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of Samsung devices but as I read through this forum it's crazy the amount of issues I'm hearing about. Samsung phones have a lot of great features but they are notorious for eating SD cards and for things like unexplained screen dimming and fragile screens. Am I wrong, or are they problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of Samsung devices but as I read through this forum it's crazy the amount of issues I'm hearing about. Samsung phones have a lot of great features but they are notorious for eating SD cards and for things like unexplained screen dimming and fragile screens. Am I wrong, or are they problematic?

I'm leaving my iPhone and the S4 and Droid Maxx are my two finalists for my new device.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
As with any other phone, you're going to see a lot more issues on a forum for Android than you would elsewhere. I haven't had issues with battery drain, or bad SD cards and neither have any of my friends/family with S3s and S4s

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I would be inclined to agree based on my experience. My device stability has been in order from worst to best: Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Asus TF101, Samsung S4 GPE, Nexus 10 (also made by samsung), Neuxs 7, Toshiba Excite 10, Nexus 4, Sony Z Ultra GPE. In my limited experience Samsung fills out the top for least stable.

Last edited:

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I had much worse luck with the Motorola DROID series than with any Samsung phones. They've been generally stable and fun to use for me. The last gen BlackBerry devices were (ahem!) not without their issues, and an iPhone 5 I had was also flaky in a lot of ways. I think all devices have bugs and problems, some more than others, and it's just a question of whether you can live with them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems like every Samsung device I have had has had some sort of issue but that doesn't necessarily mean Samsung is a bad brand. I've had HTC phones just suddenly stop working on me

Posted via Android Central App

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
The issues appear more obvious because of the high number of Samsung devices owned. Every phone brand has its own problems.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I have owned Samsung phones ever since I switched from a iPhone 4. I have used the s2 skyrocket, s3 and s4 and no problems and keep all my phones naked with the same sd card for the s3 and s4 and no issues except with my s2 skyrocket had a faulty micro USB port.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Coming from a Nokia 6021 which was a 2005 phone, my expectation was high. My friend did his research and went for HTC, saying that S4 had issues based on what he'd read. I had the opportunity to get a free S4 so I went for it. Turns out, his HTC was screwed after 5 months, battery doesn't charge and camera had some purple shades. Apparently, it was an universal issue with a lot of people having the same problem. My S4 on the other hand, aside from some apps eating battery early on (nothing to do with the phone really) and my SD card being corrupted (don't think that was the S4's fault either), after 6 months of having it has been great beyond expectation. There's the occasional issues like the music player has no volume or an app crashing but those are such small problems, I'm sure all phones have that. I'd recommend an S4 if someone asked.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The issues appear more obvious because of the high number of Samsung devices owned. Every phone brand has its own problems.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Right. Samsung outsells all other Android OEM's combined, so they'd simultaneously have to have the highest manufacturing output and a significantly lower failure rate than all other OEM's to appear to be more reliable to people who base their failure rate analysis on the volume forum posts. It could very well be that they do have a higher failure rate, but you'd have to do a much more in depth analysis than, "I see lots of problems in the Samsung forums" to determine if that's true or not.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of Samsung devices but as I read through this forum it's crazy the amount of issues I'm hearing about. Samsung phones have a lot of great features but they are notorious for eating SD cards and for things like unexplained screen dimming and fragile screens. Am I wrong, or are they problematic.

I use iPad and Galaxy S4.

If you go to Apple forums in the main site (not iMore but Apple.com) , you will be seeing tonnes of threads specific to iOS 7 as well as Crashes/Performance/Battery threads.

Here's the ironic part which will make you little surprised :
Study Says Samsung Galaxy S4 is Currently World’s Most Loved Handset, Apple's iPhone 5 Most Hated - International Business Times

iOS 6 had so many troubles and so many threads back in 2012 but I never faced any issues with iOS 6 except maps.

Its just people can't stop bi**** and nitpicking things about these things.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Any forum will show issues. You can even see it on the iPhone boards.. Windows phone.. Any phone.

There is no flawless phone so.. It isn't hard to find issues with some. That's why Forums are here.. So we can work together to fix the issues :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have never had an issue with my Galaxy S3 or S4. Frankly 9 times out of 10, it's the user, they have installed something, rooted it and don't know what they are doing, etc...
This is common not just with Samsung but any phone brand. Provider also makes a huge difference...For example I am with Telus in Canada, when 4.2.2 came out we had
no issues what so ever. Yet you see people on Verizon going nuts with crazy issues. There are way too many variables to blame the manufacture as a whole.

As for fragile screens. They are a glass screen, sure it's Gorilla Glass, but they can still break. It's like a window in your home, sure it's sturdy, until a rock get's thrown through it.
As an owner, you protect your phone, get a good case. They do break, and they can't take a lot of abuse.
As for eating MicroSD cards. Never had that issue, and don't know anyone personally that has.

I will take a Samsung over an iPhone any day though I will say that :)

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Good points. I'm definitely getting out of my iPhone today! Just trying to decide between the S4 and the Droid Maxx. I don't like tinkering with SD cards so the fact that theres 32 GB built into the Maxx makes me lean that direction.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say a lot of issues. The battery has always been a weak point for them, and the SD card issue has plagued manufactures. I would say though they have more issues than most other manufactures this release cycle. I've never seen a current gen HTC or Motorola shoot itself in the foot with an ota or have the battery life fluctuate so much. It doesn't make them bad phones, but its something to consider.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
My gripe with my S3 wasnt so much the phone but the IU TW carrier build. I liked the phone a lot but the bloat and 1/2 assed updates were what made me sell it.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Good points. I'm definitely getting out of my iPhone today! Just trying to decide between the S4 and the Droid Maxx. I don't like tinkering with SD cards so the fact that theres 32 GB built into the Maxx makes me lean that direction.

an SD card is the way to go. Go read how many threads people have complained on when their phone dies, they can't recover their photos, videos, etc.. Not sure what tinkering you mean. You put it in and it's there. If your phone ever dies, the SD card comes out and you are good to go, stored, safe, etc...
Storing your stuff on your internal memory is just an accident waiting to happen

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
an SD card is the way to go. Go read how many threads people have complained on when their phone dies, they can't recover their photos, videos, etc.. Not sure what tinkering you mean. You put it in and it's there. If your phone ever dies, the SD card comes out and you are good to go, stored, safe, etc...
Storing your stuff on your internal memory is just an accident waiting to happen

... But check out the massive thread about all of the SD card corruptions people have had on S4s.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

VZW has the 32GB version of the S4. If you stuck to 32GB SD cards and lower you'll probably be fine

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20