Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it just me or do Samsung phones have a lot of issues?

I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of Samsung devices but as I read through this forum it's crazy the amount of issues I'm hearing about. Samsung phones have a lot of great features but they are notorious for eating SD cards and for things like unexplained screen dimming and fragile screens. Am I wrong, or are they problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Is it just me or do Samsung phones have a lot of issues?

Quote Originally Posted by rockitdog23 View Post
    I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of Samsung devices but as I read through this forum it's crazy the amount of issues I'm hearing about. Samsung phones have a lot of great features but they are notorious for eating SD cards and for things like unexplained screen dimming and fragile screens. Am I wrong, or are they problematic?

I'm leaving my iPhone and the S4 and Droid Maxx are my two finalists for my new device.

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

As with any other phone, you're going to see a lot more issues on a forum for Android than you would elsewhere. I haven't had issues with battery drain, or bad SD cards and neither have any of my friends/family with S3s and S4s

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    MERCDROID and mhinc like this.

I would be inclined to agree based on my experience. My device stability has been in order from worst to best: Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Asus TF101, Samsung S4 GPE, Nexus 10 (also made by samsung), Neuxs 7, Toshiba Excite 10, Nexus 4, Sony Z Ultra GPE. In my limited experience Samsung fills out the top for least stable.
    Last edited by Google_Superuser; 02-09-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

I had much worse luck with the Motorola DROID series than with any Samsung phones. They've been generally stable and fun to use for me. The last gen BlackBerry devices were (ahem!) not without their issues, and an iPhone 5 I had was also flaky in a lot of ways. I think all devices have bugs and problems, some more than others, and it's just a question of whether you can live with them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not just you based on experience and people I know

Posted via Android Central App

Well it seems like every Samsung device I have had has had some sort of issue but that doesn't necessarily mean Samsung is a bad brand. I've had HTC phones just suddenly stop working on me

Posted via Android Central App
    Current phone im using: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

The issues appear more obvious because of the high number of Samsung devices owned. Every phone brand has its own problems.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have owned Samsung phones ever since I switched from a iPhone 4. I have used the s2 skyrocket, s3 and s4 and no problems and keep all my phones naked with the same sd card for the s3 and s4 and no issues except with my s2 skyrocket had a faulty micro USB port.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Coming from a Nokia 6021 which was a 2005 phone, my expectation was high. My friend did his research and went for HTC, saying that S4 had issues based on what he'd read. I had the opportunity to get a free S4 so I went for it. Turns out, his HTC was screwed after 5 months, battery doesn't charge and camera had some purple shades. Apparently, it was an universal issue with a lot of people having the same problem. My S4 on the other hand, aside from some apps eating battery early on (nothing to do with the phone really) and my SD card being corrupted (don't think that was the S4's fault either), after 6 months of having it has been great beyond expectation. There's the occasional issues like the music player has no volume or an app crashing but those are such small problems, I'm sure all phones have that. I'd recommend an S4 if someone asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggymart View Post
    The issues appear more obvious because of the high number of Samsung devices owned. Every phone brand has its own problems.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Right. Samsung outsells all other Android OEM's combined, so they'd simultaneously have to have the highest manufacturing output and a significantly lower failure rate than all other OEM's to appear to be more reliable to people who base their failure rate analysis on the volume forum posts. It could very well be that they do have a higher failure rate, but you'd have to do a much more in depth analysis than, "I see lots of problems in the Samsung forums" to determine if that's true or not.
    dancing-bass likes this.

I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of Samsung devices but as I read through this forum it's crazy the amount of issues I'm hearing about. Samsung phones have a lot of great features but they are notorious for eating SD cards and for things like unexplained screen dimming and fragile screens. Am I wrong, or are they problematic.

I use iPad and Galaxy S4.

If you go to Apple forums in the main site (not iMore but Apple.com) , you will be seeing tonnes of threads specific to iOS 7 as well as Crashes/Performance/Battery threads.

Here's the ironic part which will make you little surprised :

iOS 6 had so many troubles and so many threads back in 2012 but I never faced any issues with iOS 6 except maps.

Its just people can't stop bi**** and nitpicking things about these things.
    Thanked by:

Any forum will show issues. You can even see it on the iPhone boards.. Windows phone.. Any phone.

There is no flawless phone so.. It isn't hard to find issues with some. That's why Forums are here.. So we can work together to fix the issues .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts

I have never had an issue with my Galaxy S3 or S4. Frankly 9 times out of 10, it's the user, they have installed something, rooted it and don't know what they are doing, etc...
    This is common not just with Samsung but any phone brand. Provider also makes a huge difference...For example I am with Telus in Canada, when 4.2.2 came out we had
    no issues what so ever. Yet you see people on Verizon going nuts with crazy issues. There are way too many variables to blame the manufacture as a whole.

As for fragile screens. They are a glass screen, sure it's Gorilla Glass, but they can still break. It's like a window in your home, sure it's sturdy, until a rock get's thrown through it.
    As an owner, you protect your phone, get a good case. They do break, and they can't take a lot of abuse.
    As for eating MicroSD cards. Never had that issue, and don't know anyone personally that has.

I will take a Samsung over an iPhone any day though I will say that
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Good points. I'm definitely getting out of my iPhone today! Just trying to decide between the S4 and the Droid Maxx. I don't like tinkering with SD cards so the fact that theres 32 GB built into the Maxx makes me lean that direction.

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

I wouldn't say a lot of issues. The battery has always been a weak point for them, and the SD card issue has plagued manufactures. I would say though they have more issues than most other manufactures this release cycle. I've never seen a current gen HTC or Motorola shoot itself in the foot with an ota or have the battery life fluctuate so much. It doesn't make them bad phones, but its something to consider.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g

My gripe with my S3 wasnt so much the phone but the IU TW carrier build. I liked the phone a lot but the bloat and 1/2 assed updates were what made me sell it.
    The "infraction"

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts

Good points. I'm definitely getting out of my iPhone today! Just trying to decide between the S4 and the Droid Maxx. I don't like tinkering with SD cards so the fact that theres 32 GB built into the Maxx makes me lean that direction.
    an SD card is the way to go. Go read how many threads people have complained on when their phone dies, they can't recover their photos, videos, etc.. Not sure what tinkering you mean. You put it in and it's there. If your phone ever dies, the SD card comes out and you are good to go, stored, safe, etc...
    Storing your stuff on your internal memory is just an accident waiting to happen
    Telus Mobility
    ---
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    an SD card is the way to go. Go read how many threads people have complained on when their phone dies, they can't recover their photos, videos, etc.. Not sure what tinkering you mean. You put it in and it's there. If your phone ever dies, the SD card comes out and you are good to go, stored, safe, etc...
    Storing your stuff on your internal memory is just an accident waiting to happen
    ... But check out the massive thread about all of the SD card corruptions people have had on S4s.

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

VZW has the 32GB version of the S4. If you stuck to 32GB SD cards and lower you'll probably be fine

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts

... But check out the massive thread about all of the SD card corruptions people have had on S4s.

The majority of those were the cards, not the phones. SanDisk for example was admitting flaws and replacing them.
    Telus Mobility
    ---

That and your phone could be stolen, lost, or the SD card destroyed with the phone. SD cards are nice for cheap memory, but it's easy enough to back up your data on cloud storage or a home PC that there's no reason not to do it. Get a phone with the storage you want and then back your data up on something that isn't attached to the phone.
    vtpmt81 and mhinc like this.

You have to remember that those with issues will run and post, while those without issues don't often come on sites like this saying how great their phones are. Now that being said, all phones seem to have their fair share of problems, samsung just sells so many more it makes it seem like "all their phones have problems" And I am not a fan of samsung, they really need to tone down and code touchwiz better.
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

NEVER rely on a SD card. Always back your data up to a computer, external hard drive, or flash drive. This is one thing that Apple really does right with iCloud. You can copy the entire 'sdcard' folder of your phone to a hard drive in case your phone gets corrupted. Back up all of your texts and contacts and have them on your computer and a flash drive.

Every phone has issues even my iPhone 5 and Moto X (which I love). Heck I had 2 buggy phones in a row - the Blackberry Storm 2 and the Xperia Play (both had touchscreen issues).

There are more Samsung phones sold than any other brand, by far, so you're going to see more complaints about them. That's all.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast