Battery help?

ManvirS

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
My battery these days has been decreasing quite a lot. I charge overnight so I have 100 in the morning. Here is what I do

Morning
10 minute read CNN check facebook, Instagram, train status

1 hour of music via Shuttle Music Player while traveling.

About 5 texts

Most of the day the phone is in my pocket I don't even take it out. I get push notifications from Yahoo Mail throughout the day.

Then some more texts
Facebook browsing
Instagram Browsing
Web browsing
Total about 20 minutes

Another 1 hour of Music

When I reach home at around 4 I have about 40 percent. Why?

I turn off wi fi when I leave, my brightness is 75 %, everything off, no apps running in background

My day starts at 5 :30 AM to 4 PM

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would help if you posted screenshots of your battery stats, with the percent breakdown of usage by apps/services, details showing your total screen-on time, and the quality of the cell signal.

Also, try removing your battery, laying it flat on a table, and trying to spin it. If it spins freely, it may be going bad, since it would be bulging from the middle (not a good sign).

melmc1403

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
My battery too is draining very quickly. It was after a security update a few weeks ago. Anyone else been experiencing this since?

Thanks
Mel

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
My battery these days has been decreasing quite a lot. I charge overnight so I have 100 in the morning. Here is what I do

Morning
10 minute read CNN check facebook, Instagram, train status

1 hour of music via Shuttle Music Player while traveling.

About 5 texts

Most of the day the phone is in my pocket I don't even take it out. I get push notifications from Yahoo Mail throughout the day.

Then some more texts
Facebook browsing
Instagram Browsing
Web browsing
Total about 20 minutes

Another 1 hour of Music

When I reach home at around 4 I have about 40 percent. Why?

I turn off wi fi when I leave, my brightness is 75 %, everything off, no apps running in background

My day starts at 5 :30 AM to 4 PM

If you post your battery stats , we can help you identify what's really wrong with your device.

I am saying because If you don't post those stats , Everyone will give you same tips : Reduce brightness , turn off GPS when unnecessary etc. (silly tips)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you can't post screenshots, maybe you could just transcribe the text and numbers that you see on that screen.

melmc1403

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
These are my battery stats x

Attachments

• 1392286227412.jpg
    1392286227412.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 40

ManvirS

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
64% screen 11 % cell standby 6 % Facebook 4 % android OS and I went from 100 to 76 in 2 hours 2 minutes on battery

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
64% screen 11 % cell standby 6 % Facebook 4 % android OS and I went from 100 to 76 in 2 hours 2 minutes on battery

As garublador mentioned, it would help to know your total screen-on time. Tap the Screen listing, and it should give you those details. Average usage for the S4 should probably give you around 5-6 hrs of total screen-on time (others with an S4, please chime in if I'm wrong).

melmc1403

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
On screen time on S4 x

Attachments

• 1392326862345.jpg
    1392326862345.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 36

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
On screen time on S4 x

I'm going to guess you were charging the battery at the time. Your battery percent went up 2% and your on screen time is incredible for only losing 1/3 of the battery. Nothing in your stats looks out of place. 4.5 hours of screen time is a lot so everything else will look pretty minor compared to how much battery the screen has used.

Unless of course you haven't actually used the phone that much. Then it looks like something is keeping your screen on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, something seems a little off there. 4+ hours of screen-on time with 60+% battery left is very unusual for a phone, unless it's some kind of extended battery.

Ryan Handcocks

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey. The Samsung galaxy's have large screens that is why most of your battery is on the screen. Also the apps may look like they are inactive but a lot of them are still using data and have a cache still active. My battery was quick at going down but I downloaded and app called "advanced task killer free" this app closes the apps properly and ends caches that are not needed. Now my battery lasts a lot longer on a daily basis.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
If you post your battery stats , we can help you identify what's really wrong with your device.

I am saying because If you don't post those stats , Everyone will give you same tips : Reduce brightness , turn off GPS when unnecessary etc. (silly tips)
Lol. That is how these threads go. As if knowing it's an S4 with heavy battery drain will lead to one solution (sometimes both posters and responders seem to think so).
I think your silly example is a productive one. Screen 64% of the power and is set to 75% brightness. I'd suggest put it to auto (and maybe keep your screen timeout relatively low).... I'd think that would reduce usage quite a bit (which is not to say it is the only way to improve battery usage).

Last edited:

ReMarkable_2112

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
This is mine after 7 hours is this good or bad?
eparujah.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
This is mine after 7 hours is this good or bad?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/14/eparujah.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Very decent battery life imo , It looks like there was a wakelock for about 1 hour duration , have you identified the source ?
I think you will give much better battery life if you can fix that wakelock.That would bring awesome 4h screen time.

I get around 4 hours screen-on time and 8-9 hours standby with brightness above 75% throughout sometimes 100% all the time (No task killers , No battery saver apps , No Anti-virus)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000