Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mhunter6378
  • 1 Post By mhunter6378
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Exchange Server Removes/Blocks/Hides Apps on Galaxy S4

When I connect to the email exchange at my office, my email syncs up wonderfully. However, once connected every non stock app on the phone disappears. The short cuts go away. The app icons go away and they are no longer visible from "Application Manager"
    The second you disconnect from the exchange, everything comes back.
    It's the same issue for everyone here with either a Galaxy S4 and I believe a few people with the note have this issue.
    No one else has problems with this when connecting to the exchange. They recommend using Touchdown to connect, but it's not my favorite app.
    I assume it has something to do with the exchange security, but why just the Galaxy?
    Our IT is unsure as well.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: Exchange Server Removes/Blocks/Hides Apps on Galaxy S4

Undoubtably it has something to do with the security certificates from your work exchange server. It's surprising that your IT people can't figure out what's causing it. Are you running Jelly Bean 4.3 by any chance? If you are it's possible that you are setting up your email through Samsung Knox. Knox is a business solution that will put business related apps in a container so to speak. When you open Knox apps it puts you into a different environment on your phone separate from all you personal apps. In that case you would only see the business apps installed through Knox and none of your other apps while in the Knox environment. The Knox apps will have a small yellow corner on the lower right with a key hole symbol in the yellow area to distinguish them as Knox apps. If you're not seeing that then this is probably not the cause. Depending on your carrier you may not even have Knox, AT&T removes it.

As an alternative you could try an app called Mail Wise beta. It's an email app that I have used and it works quite well with exchange email. The added benefit of this app is there is a security bypass for exchange email allowing you to avoid having to allow administrator privileges to the exchange server on your phone. If you go this route you have to load the app from Google Play and before putting in your email credentials for your exchange account go to the developers website and get the instructions for the security bypass. The app is free and can be found here

Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    Funez19 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,302 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    As an alternative you could try an app called Mail Wise beta. It's an email app that I have used and it works quite well with exchange email. The added benefit of this app is there is a security bypass for exchange email allowing you to avoid having to allow administrator privileges to the exchange server on your phone. If you go this route you have to load the app from Google Play and before putting in your email credentials for your exchange account go to the developers website and get the instructions for the security bypass. The app is free and can be found here

Hope this helps.
    this looks like an interesting app that may fill the whole in my life! being that you're a user of this app, I was wondering if it's possible to install this app strictly for work e-mail and not have it integrate with the personal accounts already on my device?

Quote Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
    this looks like an interesting app that may fill the whole in my life! being that you're a user of this app, I was wondering if it's possible to install this app strictly for work e-mail and not have it integrate with the personal accounts already on my device?
    Yes you can. I have run it side by side with the stock app while I was trying it out.
    Thanked by:
    dimm0k 
    dimm0k likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the advice! I will take a look into the Mail Wise beta. I'm running 4.3 and heard of Knox. I'm on Verizon, so it's there, but hasn't been setup and the little shield lock indicator isn't associated to any of my apps so I don't think it's that.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Undoubtably it has something to do with the security certificates from your work exchange server. It's surprising that your IT people can't figure out what's causing it. Are you running Jelly Bean 4.3 by any chance? If you are it's possible that you are setting up your email through Samsung Knox. Knox is a business solution that will put business related apps in a container so to speak. When you open Knox apps it puts you into a different environment on your phone separate from all you personal apps. In that case you would only see the business apps installed through Knox and none of your other apps while in the Knox environment. The Knox apps will have a small yellow corner on the lower right with a key hole symbol in the yellow area to distinguish them as Knox apps. If you're not seeing that then this is probably not the cause. Depending on your carrier you may not even have Knox, AT&T removes it.

Hope this helps.
    I installed Mail Wise and I'm trying it out. It's very nice so far.

Global Posts
    1,302 Global Posts

I just wanted to understand the "Exchange Security Bypass" option for MailWise. with this option turned on, does this mean IT won't have a clue my device is connected to their Exchange server, thus no IT restrictions on my device?

Quote Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
    I just wanted to understand the "Exchange Security Bypass" option for MailWise. with this option turned on, does this mean IT won't have a clue my device is connected to their Exchange server, thus no IT restrictions on my device?
    Not sure whether they will know your device is accessing the exchange server or not, but what it does do (at least in my case on exchange 2010) was allow me to avoid having to grant administrator privileges to exchange when I added my work email account. By not having administrator privileges they cannot control or wipe my device remotely.