Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question S4 or Note 3?

HELP! I'm due to upgrade, do I get the Note 3 or the S4...
    I own a Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 and love it! Use it more than my laptop lol
    But here is where my problem lies... I love listening to music, taking pics of my kids, I've got a iPhone 4s 16gb presently and I use a lot of apps for example Spotify, Instagram, pinterest, Facebook Twitter, snapchat, gaming to name a few... and organising mine and my families life they calendar etc
    but I'm so bored with iPhone! I want a change, so guys and girls can u help? What do I chose?!? i keep hearing about 'Lack' of useable memory in the S4 & Note 3, then hear its perfectly fine you can fit all apps in, then i hear talk of amoled screen apparently a nightmare for 'burning' for heavy texters and gamers - im totally confuzzled!

Any help would be appreciated!

Laura x

Default Re: S4 or Note 3?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissLauLau View Post
    But here is where my problem lies... I love listening to music, taking pics of my kids, I've got a iPhone 4s 16gb presently and I use a lot of apps for example Spotify, Instagram, pinterest, Facebook Twitter, snapchat, gaming to name a few... and organising mine and my families life they calendar etc
    but I'm so bored with iPhone! I want a change, so guys and girls can u help? What do I chose?!? i keep hearing about 'Lack' of useable memory in the S4 & Note 3, then hear its perfectly fine you can fit all apps in, then i hear talk of amoled screen apparently a nightmare for 'burning' for heavy texters and gamers - im totally confuzzled!

Laura x
    I wouldn't recommend getting the S4, seeing as the S5 is only a week away from release. The Note 3 is only a few months old, its a power house and the battery life is amazing, even if you are a heavy texter and gamer! Also most Samsung phones offer external storage so space wont be an issue

Laura x
    I have both, If you don't mind the size of the Note 3,I'd definitely say get it. Although the S4 is is a great device, the S5 is around the corner. Most carriers have a 14 day return/exchange period. I'd take advantage of that and try the Note 3 on for size, the S Pen function is great never thought I'd ever use it, but actually use it all the time now. Good luck.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you both, i will patiently await the the S5 - might pop into my local hometown and have a nosey at the Note 3 too to get a feel for it

Thanks for making the time to reply to my post

Laura x

Thank you both, i will patiently await the the S5 - might pop into my local hometown and have a nosey at the Note 3 too to get a feel for it

Thanks for making the time to reply to my post

Laura x
    I have had the S4, it is a good phone! But if you decide to get it, make sure you get the 32GB for more space for apps and such.
    Blackberry Storm 1> Blackberry Storm 2> Samsung Mesmerize>Motorola Electrify>AT&T SG3>AT&T SG4> AT&T Optimus G Pro>AT&T LG G2

I'm using an S4 and I've got 98 apps (not including individual widgets) on my 8gb storage device. That's pretty good in my books.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Where we live the 16gb is only available, but apparently you only actually get 8.9gb to use!
    Im currently running a 4S (16gb) and ive got 4gb spare..... im beginning to worry that the S4 isn't going to be able to keep up with my apps list!

Apps i use: Halifax and Santander (Banking), Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, whatsapp, snapchat, Facebook Messenger, ebay, Gumtree, Spotify, First Bus, thetrainline.com, tapped out and Candy Crush.
    (Ok this little list has made me look bad lol!)

Aesthete18 - dare i ask do you think these would even fit?

I had a loo at the Note 3 and i must admit its a beefy looking phone! Loved the white one although the S View Cases are ugly in my book, just looks very weird - a curvy phone with a square box window... (enough of me winging haha!)

Any more help would be awesome

Laura x

Never owned the S4, Note 3 is a fantastic device if size isn't an issue, it has replaced a tablet for me, but it is a big (pun intended) step up in size from an iPhone

Where we live the 16gb is only available, but apparently you only actually get 8.9gb to use!
    Im currently running a 4S (16gb) and ive got 4gb spare..... im beginning to worry that the S4 isn't going to be able to keep up with my apps list!

Apps i use: Halifax and Santander (Banking), Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, whatsapp, snapchat, Facebook Messenger, ebay, Gumtree, Spotify, First Bus, thetrainline.com, tapped out and Candy Crush.
    (Ok this little list has made me look bad lol!)

Aesthete18 - dare i ask do you think these would even fit?

I had a loo at the Note 3 and i must admit its a beefy looking phone! Loved the white one although the S View Cases are ugly in my book, just looks very weird - a curvy phone with a square box window... (enough of me winging haha!)

Any more help would be awesome

Laura x
    Is that all the apps you use? For me, I love theming so that takes up a lot of space. Also, music and games. I even had a game that was 1gb which I deleted recently because I stopped playing it ages ago. I have a 16gb SD which is still emoty and my storage is down to 1gb. I believe 16gb is enough. But I also think it comes down to what kinda person you are and what you are storing. For example, if it's music and theming stuff chances are it's gonna be on your phone forever, so whatever space it's taking up is gone. And, if you're a hoarder like me, you'll end up keeping apps that you haven't used in months. From the look of your list, the apps you use don't require a lot of space. Do you have a premium account for Spotify?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Hello

Ive got the free version of spotify - i do have some music too, there are 400 hundred songs in my music for my iphone, all the apps above are what i use everyday - if i have an app and its not been used for ages it always get deleted lol, as for themes i have lots of pictures of my children, i take photos of them all the time, i tend to back them up once a month, take them off my phone and put them on PC - but as far as im aware you cant do themes on a iPhone?!?

Laura xx

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Oates View Post
    I wouldn't recommend getting the S4, seeing as the S5 is only a week away from release.
    Well, it's close to being announced. Depending on your carrier you could be months away from release. The S4 was announced on March 14th last year, but it wasn't available at Verizon until mid May, IIRC. You'll also pay more for it. It might be worth listening to see what the S5 has over the S4 and then deciding at that point, but I wouldn't totally discount the S4.
    Thanked by:

Hello

Ive got the free version of spotify - i do have some music too, there are 400 hundred songs in my music for my iphone, all the apps above are what i use everyday - if i have an app and its not been used for ages it always get deleted lol, as for themes i have lots of pictures of my children, i take photos of them all the time, i tend to back them up once a month, take them off my phone and put them on PC - but as far as im aware you cant do themes on a iPhone?!?

Laura xx
    I asked about Spotify because the premium account allows you to download playlists into your phone which would take up a lot of space. Also, I mentioned theming because it takes up a lot of space on my phone. Your management is good, transferring the photos, deleting apps you don't use. Things like Instagram and FB don't really take up that much space. I would recommend 16gb internal storage since you can't get an 8gb one but if you can find an 8gb one get that since from what I've gathered you like to change your phone so getting a high internal storage will be a waste. As for the SD card, it's up to you. The things you might want to consider is the price difference between a 32gb and a 16gb and also if SD cards are compatible with all types of phones, so when you change your phone can take the SD card over. Don't get the 64gb, you really don't need it.

Also, I'd vouch for the S4. Been using it for 6 months, pretty happy with it.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Cool, i'll order the S4 and see how i get on...
    am i going to need a Class 10 memory card do you think? or is there anything that you personally prefer...
    Thank you!

Laura x

Cool, i'll order the S4 and see how i get on...
    am i going to need a Class 10 memory card do you think? or is there anything that you personally prefer...
    Thank you!

Laura x
    Buying Samsung's memory card is the best way to go.There are companies like Sandisk etc. which are fault-prone due to quality issues.
    I have Sandisk 64GB card and it works awesome.I used it for my Lumia 820 before and Now using it for Galaxy S4.No problems so far but some people faced lots of issues (due to bad batch).

Remember that you can't install any apps on SD-card (There is an option to move apps to SD-card but even if you move apps to SD card , you won't save much space but 9GB Internal is soo much space to be honest)

For example , you can install books app and store books/pdfs/epubs in SD-card.....if you prefer.
    You can install camera app in internal storage and can store pics in SD-card...if you prefer.

If you can get 32GB Galaxy S4 go ahead but don't get 16GB variant if you play lots of big apps like Real Racing 3 , Asphalt 8 etc.Each game take up like 2GB space.

For normal apps and usage , 9GB is too much of storage for apps and you can store all your media can be stored on 64GB card.

I don't play big games , So 9GB Internal space is too much for me , I never had less than 2-3GB free space on my Internal Storage.
    I have lots of HD 1080p movies , Music and Pics on my 64GB card and its always 3/4th full.

Note III on the other hand starts with 32GB model and it doesn't have 16GB model , So its much better option.It also has stylus.

Galaxy S5 will also come with starting model as 32GB model , So I recommend you to wait for GS5 or Get Note III.
    Buy GS4 32GB if you play lots and lots of big size games.