Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Dust behind lens/on sensor? Any suggestions or do I try a warranty claim?

I bought my Galaxy S4 last summer...July I think...from an AT&T store. Everything has been fine...until yesterday. I snapped a few pics with the camera and discovered 2 black spots/specks in the pics. Here's an example pic:

http://i.imgur.com/4GJquWV.jpg

Just the day before, these spots were not present.

It is just the main lens on the backside of the camera. I have cleaned and re-cleaned the lens with microfiber and with q-tips. Nothing doing. I have removed the back/battery cover and tried compressed air and a blower. No change. I am debating whether to try tearing it down further and blowing air again.

Should I tear it down further? Or should I try for warranty coverage? I don't have any extra insurance coverages, just the standard warranty. And the Samsung warranty does say:

This Limited Warranty does not cover: (a) defects or damage resulting from ... sand or dirt ...
    On the other hand there is literally no damage to the phone at all...it's been in an SPG Slim Armor case within a week of purchase and has a screen protector on it. It's essentially pristine.

Any input for me here?

Default Re: Dust behind lens/on sensor? Any suggestions or do I try a warranty claim?

I'd say that's indeed dust or debris on the sensor or somewhere inside the lens mechanism. If your phone is pristine and the outer lens cover (the clear plastic/glass lens covering the actual lens) is clean and scratch-free, warranty should definitely cover this issue. Besides, if the lens cover is dirty or scratched, you don't usually see such sharp-edged artifacts in photos. My old HTC phone has a very dirty lens cover (dirt inside the lens cover) and pics come out blurry and muddy but there are no black, sharp-edged artifacts in the pics.

I wouldn't tear it down any further. Just take a few shots that clearly demonstrate the problem (just like the one you posted) and show them to AT&T or Samsung service. This is exactly what the warranty is for!