My phone won't cut on and I need help, fast.

MsPrettyPoetic

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I brought from Target under Verzion Wireless. I didn't get the warranty (I don't believe I did at the time because I had to wait to see if my parents were putting me under their plan, but they did not). I brought the phone in June 2013. I have had to buy 2 new phone chargers chargers in that time, the charger that brought with the phone was stolen. I brought a new charger from Verzion Wireless in October, but the wire started coming out of the cord. The part that goes into the wall worked fine, so in December I just brought a retractable USB cord from Radio Shack.

We recently got a new GS puppy in August. In January, he knocked me over unexpectedly with the phone in my hand, and it cracked the bottom of my screen, where the "go back" and "menu" buttons are, respectively.

My phone was working fine until 2 days ago, where it would be slow to charge, no matter where I charged it (boyfriend's house, my house, charged in the wall, charged by my computer).
Then yesterday, I noticed when I charged my phone by computer, it actually depleted my battery as long as it was charging. I tried charging it it by the wall, and it actually brought my life down to 0%. I could not cut it on.
When I tried to charge, it would stay frozen at the screen that shows my battery, with the little gray symbol commonly seen trying to upload a video. It wouldn't show green.
I thought it was the charger, but my dad tried his charger and it didn't work either. It would not cut on no matter what.
Then I tried taking out the battery and SIM card, but nothing worked.
Today, I tried pressing the home, power and volume up button but it brought me to a screen stating, "Warning A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications. If you want to install a custom OS, press volume up key. Otherwise press the volume down key to cancel."
I did not want to mess up my phone so I just left it alone and it went back to black.
I need my phone because I have places calling me about job interviews and it's the number I am to be reached at. I can not afford to not have my phone at this point.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I brought from Target under Verzion Wireless. I didn't get the warranty (I don't believe I did at the time because I had to wait to see if my parents were putting me under their plan, but they did not). I brought the phone in June 2013. I have had to buy 2 new phone chargers chargers in that time, the charger that brought with the phone was stolen. I brought a new charger from Verzion Wireless in October, but the wire started coming out of the cord. The part that goes into the wall worked fine, so in December I just brought a retractable USB cord from Radio Shack.

We recently got a new GS puppy in August. In January, he knocked me over unexpectedly with the phone in my hand, and it cracked the bottom of my screen, where the "go back" and "menu" buttons are, respectively.

My phone was working fine until 2 days ago, where it would be slow to charge, no matter where I charged it (boyfriend's house, my house, charged in the wall, charged by my computer).
Then yesterday, I noticed when I charged my phone by computer, it actually depleted my battery as long as it was charging. I tried charging it it by the wall, and it actually brought my life down to 0%. I could not cut it on.
When I tried to charge, it would stay frozen at the screen that shows my battery, with the little gray symbol commonly seen trying to upload a video. It wouldn't show green.
I thought it was the charger, but my dad tried his charger and it didn't work either. It would not cut on no matter what.
Then I tried taking out the battery and SIM card, but nothing worked.
Today, I tried pressing the home, power and volume up button but it brought me to a screen stating, "Warning A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications. If you want to install a custom OS, press volume up key. Otherwise press the volume down key to cancel."
I did not want to mess up my phone so I just left it alone and it went back to black.
I need my phone because I have places calling me about job interviews and it's the number I am to be reached at. I can not afford to not have my phone at this point.

I am really not sure what advice you expect to get at this point. I suppose you could try a new battery, but based on the impact damage you had from your dog knocking you and your phone down, it could have caused more damage than just the screen, knocked something out of place like a solder point, etc. That would not be covered under warranty. So long story short. Try a new battery, and if that doesn't work, there is not much more you can do. Except buy a good case next time that would prevent your screen from cracking from a drop.
This is one of those times when it's smart to spend 40 on a case, and not worry about your phone being bulky as it's protected, rather than slim line crappy case or no case, making the phone fragile and susceptible to damage.

Last edited:

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with mhinc. It does sound like it may be a bad battery, but it could be other problems from the dropped phone too. I'd try a new battery first, just to see if there's a cheap fix.