Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OTG SD-card unmounts automatically

Hi

I got an OTG USB/card reader for my S4 (9505) in October. Worked great, could transfer files between an SD card and my phone.

Updated from 4.2 to 4.3 in December. Thought I tested everything worked but apparently not, because when now when I plug it in it detects it but I immediately get the message "USB mass storage safely removed". Don't know if the update is the cause but it's the most significant change to my phone that I can think of.

Under Settings > More > Storage, the option is there to mount OTG storage, but selecting it does nothing. I've tried various OTG diagnostic/checking apps, they can all detect it, even that I'm using a 16 GB SD card with it. But I can't actually use the 'darn' thing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Phone is not rooted. I'm currently away from home so I wouldn't be able to make use of a solution that needs a PC . This is also why I need this device to work - to back up my photos from my (non-phone) camera because I have no other way.

Incase it's relevant:
    Model GT-I9505
    Android 4.3
    Baseband I9505XXUEMKF
    Kernal 3.4.0-2082040
    Build JSS15J.I9505XXUEMKF

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by GlacialDrift; 02-20-2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Adding version details

Default Re: OTG SD-card unmounts automatically

i have the same problem. Samsung S4 GT-i9500, international unlocked. not root, 100% stock. The phone is encrypted, forced by a microsoft exchange email server policy.
    I used to be on 4.2 since i bought it, i could use OTG usb without problem. Then i update to 4.3, everything works except OTG. as soon as i plug the USB OTG, it automatically unmount.

It seems its an issue with samsung Touchwiz. I had a Samsung galaxy S3, that had the same exact problem. I upgraded the S3 from 4.1.2 to 4.3, then OTG stopped working. the only way i fixed it was to revert the phone to 4.1.2, and boy its was not a simple task. much more time consuming than simply flash a different rom.

I guess that reverting my S4 to 4.2 would fix it, but its seriously pain in the ***.