Used S4 for $100

sirjoseph

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a friend who broke up with her gf, and they were sharing a plan, which the gf now disconnected her from. She went out and got a new S4 for 1cent and has the old one just laying around..

She offered the used S4 to me for $100. Im tempted to do so, and use it for wifi and the tools it comes with, as well as a remote control for my DAW, Cubase. I would have no intention on reconnecting the S4 back to the network (Sprint). Im excited to use the camera as an all purpose pocket pc with wifi capabilities.

My question is.. Is the 16gb S4 worth $100? Its in decent shape, with some scuffs from being dropped a few times. Comes with a case and 3 batteries. Im not sure why it comes with so many batteries. Perhaps it has a draining issue? Idk.

Also, will the ex gf be able to cripple the phone somehow, if she wanted to?? Id hate to have it a few days or weeks and have it brick on me.

Anyway, id appreciate your feedback and look forward to your responses. Thank you for your time.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
first to answer your question, yeah why not if you have enough use for it as galaxy ipod touch like device with a better camera.

she could wipe the phone, but I would suggest doing a factory reset anyways and you will be fine.

Now this may not be a concern to you. but make sure the ex has no claim on the device, so that you don't get into any drama with a device she claims was stolen etc.

sirjoseph

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply! So the S4 still holds some value?

While i dont think the ex will report the phone stolen, i cannot be sure. If she did, would it interupt my usage of the phone? Again, only wifi, as connection goes. Other than that, itll only be used as a OFFLINE pocket pc (calcu, calender, cam, notepad, etc.)

Posted via Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply! So the S4 still holds some value?

While i dont think the ex will report the phone stolen, i cannot be sure. If she did, would it interupt my usage of the phone? Again, only wifi, as connection goes. Other than that, itll only be used as a OFFLINE pocket pc (calcu, calender, cam, notepad, etc.)

Your usage won't be interrupted since it's not connected to a network/carrier. If you're just going to use it as a fancy calculator, it's a pretty expensive calculator...

sirjoseph

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Lol I agree. However, the calculator was just an example. Its going to be mainly for wifi, camera, notepad to jot down lyrics and whatnot, and a remote control for Cubase to use as a recording assistant. It will be a very universal and important tool for me.

Appreciate the replies. :)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Lol I agree. However, the calculator was just an example. Its going to be mainly for wifi, camera, notepad to jot down lyrics and whatnot, and a remote control for Cubase to use as a recording assistant. It will be a very universal and important tool for me.

Then it seems like a good deal. You could also root it if needed :)

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one more interested in hearing about the lesbian couple? LOL

That's a decent price but I'd be weary of buying it if it's on the ex girlfriend's plan. Find out if she wants it back first before you buy it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Definitely worth more than $100. If she has no claims on the phone, you should definitely get it

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge