I don't want kit Kat..

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to set the phone to NOT install kit Kat? I will do it later, but for now I just don't want it. Thanks!!

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What is the reason why?

As for delaying, You can opt for installing later, or I think you can stop the OTA, by disabling one of the System apps, I just can't remember which one.

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Because I've read recently about some things that I use my phone for will not be available in kit Kat, like apps being on SD card. It's like Samsung is one of the few phones with the SD slot but kit Kat will make it more like the HTC one, however we will only have about 8g's available to us. I will try to find the article and post it here.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Because I've read recently about some things that I use my phone for will not be available in kit Kat, like apps being on SD card. It's like Samsung is one of the few phones with the SD slot but kit Kat will make it more like the HTC one, however we will only have about 8g's available to us. I will try to find the article and post it here.

I thought this issue had been resolved? I'm running the "Google Edition" version of Kit Kat on my S4, and as such I don't have apps2SD support regardless, so I can't verify that...but I thought I had heard that the SD card issues were only on early versions of the Samsung KK update, and that they've since been fixed? Maybe not....

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/0...ote-3-android-4-4-problem-hits-micro-sd-card/

I read the above article yesterday... Made me think I don't want it. Also, when I updated my nexus 7 to kit Kat, I wasn't happy to lose adobe flash and just want comfy like I was with 4.3. Maybe I just don't like change. I just don't want to lose some of the available uses for my SD card! I recently went through my 'trauma' of deciding between Samsung class 10 SD card or SanDisk and take chances. I went with the Samsung after talking to the geek squad at Best buy and the Samsung rep. It's just too many decisions AFTER making the big choice between the S4 and the HTC One.

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I am using my 64 gig micro-SD card for storage only (music, pictures and documents). Will Kit Kat interfere with that?

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm just constantly confused!! The Greek squad guys even told me it's not important to have a class 10 SD card for the s4 because they are mainly for cameras! No wonder I'm a mess :-(
So, back to my original question... Does anyone know how to stop the install just in CASE I do something wrong and let it install?
Thank you!

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

hey what kind of SD card are you using? I cant seem to find the right one. I just went through three in my galaxy s4. A 32gb sandisk (got corrupted and went blank AFTER WORKING FOR MONTHS). A 64gb class 10 sandisk (went blank and got corrupted in a few days, after the sandisk card). Then I just bought a Samsung 64gb class 10 sd card. I opened it and put it in the S4. I went to take a picture and it wouldnt save to the sd card. So i then went to "my files" and went through the sd card. It had a bunch of foreign symbols and stuff nobody could read. SO I backed out and went to the home page. Then boom my sd card went blank and was unreadable/corrupted. I took it out immediately after turning the phone off, and was finally able to format this one back to working condition (exFAT) on the computer. (all the other ones that got corrupted couldnt be saved; i had to toss them because they wouldnt format). So i took a picture off my computer and put it on the SD card and it worked. I then took the SD card (samsung 64gb class 10) and for the first time put in my galaxy tab 3 10.1. I was able to view the picture i took off my computer. Then i took 4 videos on the tablet. They saved, i was able to view them. Then while watching the 4th video i just made, it all of a sudden said that the video couldnt be played. SO I went to the home screen, and BOOM, my SD card went blank on my tablet?! I hooked it up to my computer just now and had to re format it again. That's twice in one day between the S4 and the Galaxy tab 3. Ive been dealing with this problem for quite sometime between the two devices. They both eat my sd cards and i cant find one that works. Is the 64gb card just tooooo much for them to handle? I'm thinking of trying a samsung 32gb class 10 next? what do you guys think? Ive never had problems with a samsung 8gb card but thats just too small. I like music and can download thousands in one day.

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm just constantly confused!! The Greek squad guys even told me it's not important to have a class 10 SD card for the s4 because they are mainly for cameras! No wonder I'm a mess :-(
So, back to my original question... Does anyone know how to stop the install just in CASE I do something wrong and let it install?
Thank you!

Your phone will tell you that it is ready for an update. The update will download to your phone, then it will ask you when you actually want to install it. You touch the button to make that happen i think? That is what it did with all my other updates. I believe you can just keep on postponing it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
hey what kind of SD card are you using? I cant seem to find the right one. I just went through three in my galaxy s4. A 32gb sandisk (got corrupted and went blank AFTER WORKING FOR MONTHS). A 64gb class 10 sandisk (went blank and got corrupted in a few days, after the sandisk card). Then I just bought a Samsung 64gb class 10 sd card. I opened it and put it in the S4. I went to take a picture and it wouldnt save to the sd card. So i then went to "my files" and went through the sd card. It had a bunch of foreign symbols and stuff nobody could read. SO I backed out and went to the home page. Then boom my sd card went blank and was unreadable/corrupted. I took it out immediately after turning the phone off, and was finally able to format this one back to working condition (exFAT) on the computer. (all the other ones that got corrupted couldnt be saved; i had to toss them because they wouldnt format). So i took a picture off my computer and put it on the SD card and it worked. I then took the SD card (samsung 64gb class 10) and for the first time put in my galaxy tab 3 10.1. I was able to view the picture i took off my computer. Then i took 4 videos on the tablet. They saved, i was able to view them. Then while watching the 4th video i just made, it all of a sudden said that the video couldnt be played. SO I went to the home screen, and BOOM, my SD card went blank on my tablet?! I hooked it up to my computer just now and had to re format it again. That's twice in one day between the S4 and the Galaxy tab 3. Ive been dealing with this problem for quite sometime between the two devices. They both eat my sd cards and i cant find one that works. Is the 64gb card just tooooo much for them to handle? I'm thinking of trying a samsung 32gb class 10 next? what do you guys think? Ive never had problems with a samsung 8gb card but thats just too small. I like music and can download thousands in one day.

I believe the one I have is this one:
Amazon.com : SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A : Micro Sd Cards : Electronics

To be honest, I sometimes have to wonder if the 64GB cards are just prone to corruption. Before getting the 64GB card, I had used several 32GB cards with no problem what so ever, but the 64GB cards seem to present more problems. I had to reformat this current card a few times in the beginning because it was becoming corrupted when I would try to transfer files on to it. It is working fine now, but I've been a bit weary about whether or not it will just crap out on me.

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Yep, EVERY sales person I talked to said to stay away from any SD card over 32gb with this phone - also the note3. Just get two 32gb and double your storage and your bill :-(
Also, since I'm on vacation, I set the phone to automatically send all pics to Dropbox... At least if the card goes crazy I will have a back up of my photos. I also check to make sure the pics are uploaded to Dropbox.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20