Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will ROOTing my phone void my warranty if I do not add a custom ROM?

The title pretty much says it all. With the addition of KNOX I don't know if I can still ROOT my device without voiding my warranty. The only thing stopping me was I didn't think that there was anything I could really do to my phone if I couldn't add a ROM. But I recently just learned about Xposed Framework, and now I got my hopes up again!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Will ROOTing my phone void my warranty if I do not add a custom ROM?

Yes while any device is in the " rooted " state your warranty is voided. So if you took it into your store/carrier for warranty service or repair you would be turned away.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Will ROOTing my phone void my warranty if I do not add a custom ROM?

There was a way to ROOT your phone that was called "SafeRoot" and it was said that it wouldn't void your warranty. I wouldn't believe that unless every comment said that it was true. Will this work?

Posted via Android Central App

Are you referring to rooting your phone then using xposed framework and mods instead of flashing a rom into recovery?
    In theory this can be done without voiding your warranty because there are xposed mods that can hide the fact that your phone was ever rooted and you can then uproot. This was the case with my Epic 4g touch, I dropped it and shattered the screen so I followed the above procedure and my monthly insurance gave me a new lg optimus f7 without problem. I GUESS it varies from carrier to carrier, warranty to warranty, and situation to situation

LG OPTIMUS F7 4.1.2 w/ Xposed framework -_- posted using tapatalk pro

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is the case.

A warranty is something which is guaranteed my statute in most states. It warrants that a device must be free from defects. If your phone breaks for a reason which has nothing to do with it being rooted, a company cannot deny you a warranty repair because you installed your own software on it. Well, they can, but you can sue them and likely win. I've been to small claims three times in the past five years, and have won each time.

Imagine if a computer maker denied you warranty repairs because you installed Firefox, or obtained Administrative rights on your machine. You'd have a pretty strong case in court, and a phone is just a computer you can hold in your hand.

There's a bit of "POW" syndrome in us all lately, where we've come to believe the lies we've been fed for years.

Your hardware is yours. You own it. If you muck up the software, I doubt a warranty will help you, but if the hardware goes bad, you're well within most statutory warranties.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Balsagna View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is the case.

A warranty is something which is guaranteed my statute in most states. It warrants that a device must be free from defects. If your phone breaks for a reason which has nothing to do with it being rooted, a company cannot deny you a warranty repair because you installed your own software on it. Well, they can, but you can sue them and likely win. I've been to small claims three times in the past five years, and have won each time.

Imagine if a computer maker denied you warranty repairs because you installed Firefox, or obtained Administrative rights on your machine. You'd have a pretty strong case in court, and a phone is just a computer you can hold in your hand.

There's a bit of "POW" syndrome in us all lately, where we've come to believe the lies we've been fed for years.

Your hardware is yours. You own it. If you muck up the software, I doubt a warranty will help you, but if the hardware goes bad, you're well within most statutory warranties.
    Something I found to back up Harry's statements. For what it's worth, your mileage may vary:

Your Warranty is Not Void - XDA TV - xda-developersxda-developers

Rooting does not void your warranty. I rooted my phone and bricked it. i have a Metro Pcs galaxy mega 6.3. I called Samsung and informed them that i bout it second hand like this and i want it back to normal. They told me it is still under warranty and they will email me shipping labels. They fixed everything for free. I complained before they sent it back that Samsung's website says my Phone should have Kit Kat and everyone on the internet says they only have gingerbread. Metro Pcs is the red headed step child of the mobile industry so they didnt get the over the air update. I complained about this to Samsung and they informed me that they will be upgrading my Mega with Kit Kat. Dont believe everything you see on the internet.

I've sent my rooted s3 for repair with rogers and they never turned me away so idk

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3