Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Quick fixes needed for a new owner

I've owned the at&t s4 for 6 months and have been having some issues that hopefully some of you can help with. Thanks in advance.

1. I have a 64gb card but the on - board memory is filling up. I was advised to and downloaded Super Toolbox that helped transfer some but I'd like around a 70% clear phone memory but can't figure it out.

2. I've got some group texts going and I can't always see past more than 25. I miss some conversation and can't get it back.
    2.a. If the threshold is raised, are those messages still in the thread that I missed?

3. About 3 times a day, the phone loses sync with the sd card and I have to restart the phone. This Sucks b/c I am usually listening to some music, in the zone then POW! Why is this happening? It just started about a month ago.

4. After 6 months, my battery isn't holding much of a charge. I feel it's probably that too many items are running and when I try to force stop, it gives me a message that I'll mess the phone up. How can I regulate the apps I don't need running easily?

I am not cpu savvy and the simplest steps are appreciated as well as open discourse as to video links as a sole answer and the "this app is better than that app" conversation.
    Thank you

truthBOMB

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Quick fixes needed for a new owner

1. Make sure you have the newest version of Android. I think AT&T is on 4.3. Get an app from Google Play to transfer apps to your SD card. There are several. Check your miscellaneous files under Settings > Storage to see if you can delete some stuff. Don't mess with .thumbnails. Check your DCIM folder in the system memory under the "My Files" app > System. Set the camera app to store photos on the SD card. Check for albums saved in system memory under "My Files" > System > Pictures. Screen shots also take up space, so try moving those to the SD card.

2. Under Messaging > Settings > MMS, turn off automatic deletion or set the limit higher than 25. There is no way to recover/show the older group messages as they have already been deleted, but doing this will prevent you from missing more in the future.

3. Is your SD card a SanDisk? There was a massive number of SanDisk 64GB cards that were defective. I had the same issue. I'd recommend either sticking to 32GB cards or buying a really nice 64GB card at a reputable store like Target. Amazon and eBay are great, but most online 64GB cards are defective or of poor quality.

4. That's hard to fix quickly. Your best bet to save power is to turn off GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, S Beam, Air View, Smart Stay, etc. Apps don't usually eat up much battery on their own, and a collective drain caused by many apps can only be fixed by uninstalling unnecessary apps. Airplane mode can help too, since data drains your battery wayyy more than CPU usage.

Hope this helps!

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the ideas. It is a Sandisk, so I'll look to swap it out.

Another question :
    Now that some of my apps are on the sd card, the shortcut is still on my homepage, but when I select it, it errors The App Is Not Installed.
    Can I not have apps on removable storage and use them?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truthBOMB View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. It is a Sandisk, so I'll look to swap it out.

Another question :
    Now that some of my apps are on the sd card, the shortcut is still on my homepage, but when I select it, it errors The App Is Not Installed.
    Can I not have apps on removable storage and use them?
    Thanks

Try deleting the app shortcut and adding it back.

I know this post is a couple of months old but I just have a query on the comment you made about the .thumbnails file in the Miscellaneous folder. Why did you suggest not deleting it?

Thanks for your post.

Greg.