Samsung Galaxy S4 battery drain

seemak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi. My SGs4 is a year old. Till 4 days back the battery life was fine. I needed to charge my phone only once a day. Suddenly the battery started draining like crazy. Now I am charging my phone twice. I read and took all the steps by members of this thread , ie disabled most notifications , turned on power saving etc. but problem persists. Also earlier with no power saving mode and all notifications and apps functioning the battery was fine. So why the problem now? Do I need to change my battery?

Froide

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the identical problem.

The guy in Best Buy took a look at my phone, said it was a (common) battery problem. Since my phone's still in warranty (I bought it Dec 23; he looked at the phone July 2), he told me to call Samsung Support so they could replace it, free of charge.

Samsung Suppor said they'd EXCHANGE the battery (free of charge). Wanted me to send them my battery and upon receiving it, would send me a new one, free. But the process can take 11 days!!!!! When I complained about that, they said to call my cellphone provider to see if they could give me a loaner.

Sprint (my mobile service provider) doesn't do loaners. But gave me a $30 credit on my bill and urged me to use the money to buy a spare battery; the Sprint operator looked on the Internet and found a brand new OEM spare GS4 batter for $18, but still gave me the $30 credit.

illegalsvk

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I have had the same issue. I bought 1 year old phone and battery drain was as mentioned here. From 100 % to 90 % on idle in 40 minutes. Phone was wiped before, so I checked running applications and turned off "Story album". It's something from Samsung I never intended to use and now the battery is holding as it should.

Liz Wagner

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy S4, but it's a new issue. It was always dead by the end of the day and needed nightly charging, but now it's dead by mid afternoon. I installed Battery Doctor and it listed a bunch of apps that are draining the battery. But every time I tell it to 'optimize' and, I assume, close all the processes on those apps, they just come back a few minutes later and continue to drain. The biggest drain seems to be Android's Assisted Dialing (which I can't uninstall or turn off) and AirWatch (it's a corporate phone).

Does anyone know of any updates that could have happened to cause this? I'll check with my corporate guys too obviously but does anyone have any other ideas??

Tim Hammer

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
If the battery is good use a OEM charging cord not aftermarket sold on ebay, their smaller in diameter and charge at a much slower rate
then original equipment.

danelopower

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Try this Simple things to know where the fault lies?
  • Try another Samsung Galaxy S4 phone's battery, borrow from your friend or someone known, if it charges in time and stays, then it is clear that it was a problem with the battery, check your battery with his phone also.
  • If trying another battery also does not solve the issue, then the problem is in the phone, most probably in the motherboard, if your phone is over-heating?