Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

Default AT&T Galaxy S4: is the KitKat update worth it?

I heard a few negative things about the upgrade. Especially, having the sd card disabled for some applications. Whats up with this?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-01-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Default Re: At&t kitkat updat. Is it worth it?

Hello,

I look at it as all updates are a good thing. Yes there are things that change we don't all agree with but the under the hood tweaks and security updates are always a welcome plus with any update.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:
    20blks 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

How big of a deal is it with the sd card? Will the pictures and music still be there? Any info is great

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Hello,

I look at it as all updates are a good thing. Yes there are things that change we don't all agree with but the under the hood tweaks and security updates are always a welcome plus with any update.

You will have to let the S4 community chime in on this one. My wife has the S4 but she doesn't use a sdcard.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Rob79 View Post
    How big of a deal is it with the sd card? Will the pictures and music still be there? Any info is great
    The music and pictures are still there. I tried copying something over from internal storage to the SD card and that didn't work, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

Any other big down falls to the sd storage change?

Default Re: At&t kitkat update. Is it worth it?

Let's just say that AT&T could have added 4.3 and 4.4 together and still it wouldn't be worth the update.

I'm not noticing any issue with the sd card but I seemed to have lost a bunch of apps. Having to use Google play and app list to figure out what I've ever installed and then decide if was something I had before or something I intentionally uninstalled.

The all white status icons at top of screen are kind of odd as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Read some more posts and decided to do a manual reboot. Quite a few or maybe even all my apps have come back, at least to the apps tab, but still need to put them back on my home screen and/or folders where I had them previously.

Update seems snappier and smoother. No lag. Had a lot of apps disappear for some reason

Agree that the update is worth it. Much smoother and snappier.

Default Re: AT&T Galaxy S4: is the kitkat update worth it?

I think it is worth it. I did have to reinstall a few apps and then reboot to get some of my widgets to work properly but the new OS is noticeably faster on my S4 and it got rid of the bug where the window animator scale kept getting reset to 1 after using the camera. None of my data was lost from the apps, just had to reinstall them for some reason.

I store all photos and music on my SD card and I did not experience any problems with that after updating.

Could the apps disappearing be due to that they are not compatible with kitkat??
    Bankokbob54 likes this.

When you restart your phone they will come back that's what they did for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

No wifi for over 30 hours, numerous restarts, battery pulls...factory reset tonite before it goes to the ATT store.

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

Feature wise, not that much change. I thought battery life took a hit from 4.2 to 4.3, its better again with 4.4. It is snappier and smoother. I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    Feature wise, not that much change. I thought battery life took a hit from 4.2 to 4.3, its better again with 4.4. It is snappier and smoother. I am happy.
    Agree. I am not wowed, but am not having any problems either. It is like many "things". The excitement was in the anticipation and now that it's finally here...... What's next?!
    jaltman likes this.

the google keyboard is much improved from the samsung keyboard on 4.3. I hated that keyboard. It rarely learned words and often caused me frustration. On top of that I had to hold a button to get to the voice typing which is the best feature. The new kit kat google keyboard is much more intuitive and put the voice button next to the space bar with no need to hold down any buttons to access it. It also asks if you want to learn words after you use them twice.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpierre View Post
    Could the apps disappearing be due to that they are not compatible with kitkat??
    Yep, but most likely the app's publishers will update it shortly, or you may have missed that app's update request. No big deal.

I have 4.3 and photos taken with the camera are stored directly to the SD card. Is that possible with 4.4.2?

Default Re: AT&T Galaxy S4: is the KitKat update worth it?

It works with stock camera, but not third party apps like pro capture.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

Well, I updated and must say it was a huge mistake. Battery life is brutal and it is painfully slow. Home button takes seconds to actually go home and a lot of other problems. Oh well back to the z10 unless something improves
    Last edited by Rob79; 03-01-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I updated as so far my S4 is slow...in every respect. I use Nova..and thats usually very speedy, yet not anymore. Widget locker is now also slow as are the rest of my apps. Its also glitchy....sometimes an app will just close by itself or the windows will act funny. Im able to store things on the SD card no problem....but thats the least of my problems. If i had known i was going to wait...patently for THIS i would have skipped it. I contacted samsung...was told to wipe the cache partition. Nothing changed. Dont know what to do...
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

Exactly whats going on with my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosSW View Post
    I updated as so far my S4 is slow...in every respect. I use Nova..and thats usually very speedy, yet not anymore. Widget locker is now also slow as are the rest of my apps. Its also glitchy....sometimes an app will just close by itself or the windows will act funny. Im able to store things on the SD card no problem....but thats the least of my problems. If i had known i was going to wait...patently for THIS i would have skipped it. I contacted samsung...was told to wipe the cache partition. Nothing changed. Dont know what to do...

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I just took all of my app data off my SD card as ive heard that NOW can be a problem and that did squat. WTH....did samsung test this upgrade? are they planning on sending a fix anytime soon. I mean its not like you can chat with google about this....and i tried contacting samsung and was told sorry sir, it should work. This just makes me think its their way of pressuring people into buying the next phone. Oh...well it works for the S5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast