AT&T Galaxy S4: is the KitKat update worth it?

Rob79

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I heard a few negative things about the upgrade. Especially, having the sd card disabled for some applications. Whats up with this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: At&t kitkat updat. Is it worth it?

Hello,

I look at it as all updates are a good thing. Yes there are things that change we don't all agree with but the under the hood tweaks and security updates are always a welcome plus with any update.

Rob79

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

How big of a deal is it with the sd card? Will the pictures and music still be there? Any info is great

Hello,

I look at it as all updates are a good thing. Yes there are things that change we don't all agree with but the under the hood tweaks and security updates are always a welcome plus with any update.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

You will have to let the S4 community chime in on this one. My wife has the S4 but she doesn't use a sdcard.

StuntmanMark

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

How big of a deal is it with the sd card? Will the pictures and music still be there? Any info is great

The music and pictures are still there. I tried copying something over from internal storage to the SD card and that didn't work, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mosher9

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: At&t kitkat update. Is it worth it?

Let's just say that AT&T could have added 4.3 and 4.4 together and still it wouldn't be worth the update.

nfc911

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I'm not noticing any issue with the sd card but I seemed to have lost a bunch of apps. Having to use Google play and app list to figure out what I've ever installed and then decide if was something I had before or something I intentionally uninstalled.

The all white status icons at top of screen are kind of odd as well.

Posted via Android Central App

nfc911

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Read some more posts and decided to do a manual reboot. Quite a few or maybe even all my apps have come back, at least to the apps tab, but still need to put them back on my home screen and/or folders where I had them previously.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: AT&T Galaxy S4: is the kitkat update worth it?

I think it is worth it. I did have to reinstall a few apps and then reboot to get some of my widgets to work properly but the new OS is noticeably faster on my S4 and it got rid of the bug where the window animator scale kept getting reset to 1 after using the camera. None of my data was lost from the apps, just had to reinstall them for some reason.

I store all photos and music on my SD card and I did not experience any problems with that after updating.

tigerpierre

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Could the apps disappearing be due to that they are not compatible with kitkat??

Rashawn29

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

When you restart your phone they will come back that's what they did for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

Rim85

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

No wifi for over 30 hours, numerous restarts, battery pulls...factory reset tonite before it goes to the ATT store.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site

Feature wise, not that much change. I thought battery life took a hit from 4.2 to 4.3, its better again with 4.4. It is snappier and smoother. I am happy.

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Feature wise, not that much change. I thought battery life took a hit from 4.2 to 4.3, its better again with 4.4. It is snappier and smoother. I am happy.

Agree. I am not wowed, but am not having any problems either. It is like many "things". The excitement was in the anticipation and now that it's finally here...... What's next?!

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

the google keyboard is much improved from the samsung keyboard on 4.3. I hated that keyboard. It rarely learned words and often caused me frustration. On top of that I had to hold a button to get to the voice typing which is the best feature. The new kit kat google keyboard is much more intuitive and put the voice button next to the space bar with no need to hold down any buttons to access it. It also asks if you want to learn words after you use them twice.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I have 4.3 and photos taken with the camera are stored directly to the SD card. Is that possible with 4.4.2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21