1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GPS data usage

I wanted to check how much data would be used if I am using GPS (I will be traveling to neighboring country, so just wanted to make sure as I got conflicting reports from my carrier and reading)

Say for e.g. I set the route in my country and I keep going, I think it would not keep using data as the map and route is already there unless I turn GPS off and turn it again. Am I right?

If that is the case even when I am in neighboring country, I want to travel to a new place, would the data be used only for the initial loading? Just wanted to make sure before enabling the roaming plan.

Thanks.

Default Re: GPS data usage

GPS and OTA data are two separate things, as far as I'm aware. Data usage will be with regard to the map/navigation link with Google or other navigation servers. The GPS part is passive (I believe) reception of GPS data that is not part of your carrier's data stream, and that should not affect your carrier data usage. The conclusion is that as long as you're using the mapping/navigation system there's a potential for data use, whether or not GPS is turned on.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. I actually meant navigation when I meant GPS, aplogies for the confusion.
    If Navigation tool uses data, any idea how much data would be used for a trip - meaning would the data be used continuously or just initially to plot the route.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by vjy111 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I actually meant navigation when I meant GPS, aplogies for the confusion.
    If Navigation tool uses data, any idea how much data would be used for a trip - meaning would the data be used continuously or just initially to plot the route.

Thanks again.
    My guess, and it's only a guess, is that there would probably be some data usage while you're moving along, but I've never monitored that when using Google navigation to see how much it uses. I wouldn't think it would be a lot, but really can't say for sure.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for your help.

There are offline navigation apps that do not require data. You can download the maps before you travel.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro