Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trouble accessing MTP

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and while I have loved my S4 I have only just got to the point that I need to connect it to my laptop and I'm having some trouble.

I have tried installing all the right drivers, downloaded Kies, but when connecting via USB my phone connects (charges fine), but I receive the message 'Unlock your device to use it as a media device'. From looking into this it states that in the notification window I should have the option to select a media transfer mode (MTP) but I don't have this option. Does anyone know how I unlock this so that my device can connect? I'm guessing there is somewhere in the settings, apparently on the S3 their was a USB utilities section under more options, but I can't locate this on the S4

Also, I have tried selecting the USB debugging mode from the Developers Option menu with no luck and it's doing my head in now.

Any advice please because It's annoying me now.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    20,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Trouble accessing MTP

Welcome to the forums.
    Do you have options under Settings>Storage>Menu>USB Computer connection?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your quick response. I have noticed when I did a search around this issue that others had suggested this, but to access Storage i need to go Settings>More>Storage and then it just has a list (Applications, Pictures etc) and the amount I have used, but there is no options for More within that.

I know this is going to be something really easy in the end, but I've been looking everywhere and can't find a solution.

Global Posts
    20,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by coopertown View Post
    Thanks for your quick response. I have noticed when I did a search around this issue that others had suggested this, but to access Storage i need to go Settings>More>Storage and then it just has a list (Applications, Pictures etc) and the amount I have used, but there is no options for More within that.

I know this is going to be something really easy in the end, but I've been looking everywhere and can't find a solution.
    When you are in storage, click your menu button next to home. What happens then?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Nothing whatsoever

I am also new to this forum and joined because I'm having exactly the same problem and symptoms as experienced by coopertown when I try to connect my Galaxy S3 to my PC as a USB mass storage device. I have never had a problem doing so from the beginning, but now, several months since I last tried and after update(s) to the phone OS, now at Android v4.3, this no longer works!

I too am going nuts trying to get the USB function to work. I have not changed any drivers on the PC. I have never installed Kies on the PC - never needed to. But, as you all describe, the phone menus have apparently changed, the USB menu is gone, and turning on USB Debugging doesn't help. In spite of the phone's notification (when you plug in the USB cable) to "Unlock your device to use it as a media device" , the phone never appears as a USB device on the PC. Clearly the phone is not acting as a USB client as it should be. Is this a new bug or is it design-intent? Any further ideas? - I'm desperate.

I am having the same problem. Note 3. Kitkat. Updated Kies and drivers just in case. No dice. When I go to settings > storage there isn't even a menu option anymore. Period. Where can I find the MTP option? I tried looking at every setting possible and now it is 2am and I am very frustrated.

I am having the same problem also... before the last update i just plugged in my phone and the screen would pop up and allow me to view files on the device... now when i plug in my phone the computer does not even see it ????

please help I need to download pics from my phone for work

tried it on 3 computers , win8, win7, win xp, its not my computers...