My SD card update (corrupted)

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I went to Best Buy and bought the 32g class 10 Samsung SD card as recommended by the geek squad. I'm on my second to last day of vacation in Cabo and took my last pics of my favorite beach. They are CORRUPTED!! ALL the other pics are fine. My S4 is breaking my heart. I got the notice to update to KitKat yesterday and decided to wait until I'm back in the US. I wonder if that could have caused it? I'm just frustrated with this SD card issue. If I go back to Best Buy they will act like they have never had of the problem. The Samsung Reps at the store seem to NEVER hear of the problems that we talk about here. Maybe I should bring up this site while I'm in the store!!

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh man, that's terrible! Sorry to hear about those lost pics. SD card problems on Samsung devices are such a common topic on these and other forums, and there certainly have been a lot of discussions about corruption. By all means, you should show those reps any number of the threads here. Probably wouldn't do much, but I kind of wonder if anyone has ever thought about a class action against Samsung, because that might make them start to listen.

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm just upset that I ' thought' I did it all right and left those pics. I also asked them (at the time I bought my S4) if they had the tri-band S4 and even told them that I read that the model number would end in a'T'. They said there was no such phone. After much discussion I went ahead and bought the phone. TWO WEEKS later I read that the phone was indeed out... Best buy said ALL S4 phones are tri-band. I was tired of arguing and gave up. I wanted better reception in an area that just has horrible reception and dropped calls. I don't know if they are uninformed about all these issues or if I'm reading articles that are out in space somewhere!

sjsmith1708

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
S4 is not compatrable with class 10. Ive had so many class 10 cards with problems. Got a class 6 now n cant fault it.

If your considering a class 6 get a genuine samsung one. U got my 32gb off ebay for 12 quid!!

Best ?12 ive spent!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I went to Best Buy and bought the 32g class 10 Samsung SD card as recommended by the geek squad. I'm on my second to last day of vacation in Cabo and took my last pics of my favorite beach. They are CORRUPTED!! ALL the other pics are fine. My S4 is breaking my heart. I got the notice to update to KitKat yesterday and decided to wait until I'm back in the US. I wonder if that could have caused it? I'm just frustrated with this SD card issue. If I go back to Best Buy they will act like they have never had of the problem. The Samsung Reps at the store seem to NEVER hear of the problems that we talk about here. Maybe I should bring up this site while I'm in the store!!

It may not be hopeless. There are a variety of utilities like Card Recovery that might help.

http://www.cardrecoverypro.com/?gclid=CPrkzajv9LwCFQHNOgodkC8AcQ

WRITE NOTHING to the card---that may make files unrecoverable if you had any chance. Take it out of the machine.

--Also, for future reference, whether using internal or external storage, there are a lot of apps these days that will back your stuff up on the schedule you want. Facebook has an auto-upload feature for cameras for instance. Once you establish a wi-fi connection, it is pretty automatic and covers your rear end. If you don't like Facebook, Google+ will do that as well. You only have to be a member of either and accept the photo upload feature when installing the Android App. Since they both do it automatically whenever something is newly shot, it is hard to ever lose much no matter what. This is a really great solution for security. Other programs like Lookout are great, too, but you need to set the schedule there. More interesting is Seagate...if you have a Seagate Drive and Backup Plus Dashboard that comes with it, will let you backup photos (or what you choose to backup) on whatever schedule you set it to when you have wi-fi. If at home, it will backup to your external Seagate hard drive. If not, it can backup to a standard cloud location like Google Drive or SkyDrive or DropBox. Both Lookout and Seagate Mobile Backup will handle other things besides photos, too. Great little app, but you have to have Seagate Backup Plus to use it, and that means you have to have a Seagate drive, too.

In any case Fb and G+ pretty much make this very simple for free when it comes to photos. It won't handle anything else (unlike Seagate).

In every case I hear of like this I ask: did you originally format the card in the device? Those who load from a computer seem to have many more problems.

Last edited:

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
It may not be hopeless. There are a variety of utilities like Card Recovery that might help.

http://www.cardrecoverypro.com/?gclid=CPrkzajv9LwCFQHNOgodkC8AcQ

WRITE NOTHING to the card---that may make files unrecoverable if you had any chance. Take it out of the machine.

--Also, for future reference, whether using internal or external storage, there are a lot of apps these days that will back your stuff up on the schedule you want. Facebook has an auto-upload feature for cameras for instance. Once you establish a wi-fi connection, it is pretty automatic and covers your ****. If you don't like Facebook, Google+ will do that as well. You only have to be a member of either and accept the photo upload feature when installing the Android App. Since they both do it automatically whenever something is newly shot, it is hard to ever lose much no matter what. This is a really great solution for security. Other programs like Lookout are great, too, but you need to set the schedule there. More interesting is Seagate...if you have a Seagate Drive and Backup Plus Dashboard that comes with it, will let you backup photos (or what you choose to backup) on whatever schedule you set it to when you have wi-fi. If at home, it will backup to your external Seagate hard drive. If not, it can backup to a standard cloud location like Google Drive or SkyDrive or DropBox. Both Lookout and Seagate Mobile Backup will handle other things besides photos, too. Great little app, but you have to have Seagate Backup Plus to use it, and that means you have to have a Seagate drive, too.

In any case Fb and G+ pretty much make this ***** proof for free when it comes to photos.

In every case I hear of like this I ask: did you originally format the card in the device? Those who load from a computer seem to have many more problems.

My main problem is that I'm in Mexico and only have wifi when I get back to the hotel :-( Will be home tomorrow to try to fix this up and connect to the laptop. I've been leaving my phone in Airplane mode and it's been a wonderful tiny laptop! (easy feeder too - is only eaten a few pics of of HUNDREDS!!)

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
S4 is not compatrable with class 10. Ive had so many class 10 cards with problems. Got a class 6 now n cant fault it.

If your considering a class 6 get a genuine samsung one. U got my 32gb off ebay for 12 quid!!

Best ?12 ive spent!

Yep, I got the Samsung card and listened to the 'advice' from the Geek squad about the class 10 bit. Should have gone with the 6.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Best ?12 ive spent!

That is certainly not true. I use nothing but Class 10. Both my S4 and Galaxy 10.1 (2014) work just fine.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
That is certainly not true. I use nothing but Class 10. Both my S4 and Galaxy 10.1 (2014) work just fine.

I've purchased 3 32GB Class 10 cards. All of them have fried after approximately 1 month of use. The first was Adata, the second was Kingston, the third was Sandisk. All three of them fried, and all three of them lost every piece of data on them. This is making me convinced that the Class 10 cards are the problem. I will purchase Class 6 cards for my S4 from now on because of this.

Just because it hasn't happened to you yet, that does not mean that it won't.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I've purchased 3 32GB Class 10 cards. All of them have fried after approximately 1 month of use. The first was Adata, the second was Kingston, the third was Sandisk. All three of them fried, and all three of them lost every piece of data on them. This is making me convinced that the Class 10 cards are the problem. I will purchase Class 6 cards for my S4 from now on because of this.

It is really hard to decide on anecdotal evidence. I understand individual experiences can differ.

I can only say---I have used Class 10 since they came out. It is not that astonishing as a "new" and "latest" thing these days. Never had a problem.

I would add, though, that for most users the big advantage of Class 10 will be recording high def video. If you're not doing that, it probably doesn't matter a lot.

cachun402

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to hear that same thing happened to me but I had a pny sd card restarted my phone and came back on said damaged SD card but luckily I connected it to my computer and pics were there so transfered them to my computer and now have a Samsung class 10 sd card and works perfectly. Don't see the need to drop down to a class 6 just going to be slower read speed compared to a class 10

preferredduck1

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

I used a 64 go sandisk class 10 on my note 2. All worked fine until android updated on its own on my phone. After that the card registered in the phone but any new videos or pics were corrupt. Old stuff was not. So I got a note 3 after the issues with said update. I formatted the card in the new phone and the data stayed. I even deleted while it was hooked into my computer and the data came back. I wrote stand up comedy for myself and I use this often to record ideas etc which is why I got a 64 go in the first place. So today I tried to play music I loaded on recently and it couldn't support the file format in mp3 form. I had 0 problems with my card until android uodated. Now it looks like I will have to shell out more cash for a new card when I did nothing to cause the problems. Thecard Iis still functional on other devkces, just not my phone anymore which is what i really use it for.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12