Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Default Dropped my Galaxy S4 in the toilet, won't charge?

I'm a genius and dropped my s4 in the toilet last night, and took it out immediately, and it worked just fine till this morning (and I was drunk so). I got home, plugged it in and the charging notification wouldn't come up. So I put it in rice for an hour, took it out, and tried charging it again. The symbol came up, but it wasn't charging, just said it was. Screen and camera and everything is working just fine. Even talked on the phone for a bit. I've put it back in the rice (took the sim card out as well). It's all in a bowl of rice. What are the chances it'll work again? And how long should I leave it in the rice? I got it from Rogers in July, and it's worked fine till now.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-02-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Default Re: Dropped my s4 in the toilet, won't charge?

Chances are 50/50... Either it will work or it won't... Water damage is very unpredictable.

Even with the rice treatment there is no promises.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

zm115 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

How long should I leave it in the rice for?

I'd leave it in there at least 24 hours.

But given the fact that you didn't do it immediately and continued to use it the damage is probably already done, especially when you plugged it in to charge. I'm guessing when you plugged it in there was some moisture in the USB connector and that is when the damage occurred.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Alright, so what should I do to fix this?

The best fix---buy the S5. It's water resistant. (For all those saying there is no reason to upgrade, I guess there IS a reason to upgrade! )
    ffejjj, Falafaleater and gdmin like this.

Default Re: Dropped my Galaxy S4 in the toilet, won't charge?

You gotta leave it rice for at least 48 hours

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

I'd love to, but I'm a broke college student. I'm going to an authorized Samsung cellphone repair shop tomorrow, and I'll see what they say

Quote Originally Posted by zm115 View Post
    I'd love to, but I'm a broke college student. I'm going to an authorized Samsung cellphone repair shop tomorrow, and I'll see what they say
    Yeah, I get that. I'm just taking a jab at all those critiques of the S5. Some of the "under the hood" advances can be critically important. They just don't seem to get any attention until disaster strikes.

Default Re: Dropped my Galaxy S4 in the toilet, won't charge?

Yeah water damage can be bad.. I hope the repair shop works for you.

My mom dumped her iPhone in the dog bowl the other day when I was visiting.. I immediately powered it off, towel dried it, and then threw it in rice for 24 hours. Luckily that did the trick and it is functioning fine .

Keep us posted Zm!

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

I think the S5 only survives 2 minutes in water anyhow?

I think the S5 only survives 2 minutes in water anyhow?
    The test for IP67 requires the device to work after having spent 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Took it in to the store today, it's $40 to $80 to repair any water damage, plus extra for any damaged parts. He said since it was working fine after it fell in water it's a good chance that it'll be 100% okay. But now my warranty's void, which I was okay with. If the usb port is actually damaged, it'll be another $80.

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts

A broke college student should have come up with the small amount for a water proof case, to avoid a $500.00 loss from one drunk night of stupidity.
    Maybe you could have bought a case and stayed home from one night of drinking.
    Because you turned it on and used it, immediately after you dunked it, you are done. The damage is done. If you had put it in rice RIGHT away, there would have been a chance.
    I don't agree with the tech you spoke to at all. I am guessing your bill will be a LOT higher, I am curious to hear the actual final bill.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---

if you pee on it so no way to work again
    SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

No need to be a ********* buddy. For your information, cost me $80 to get it fixed (plus tax), and it's currently in my bag right now. Not a "$500.00 loss from one drunk night of stupidity".
    And to celebrate, I'm going out drinking on Friday.

PS: took a look at the final bill, it was $90.40 in the end including tax.

- - - Updated - - -

My phone's 100% fixed, and didn't burn a hole in my pocket. $80 to check and fix for water damage, and that was all.

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts

No need to be a ********* buddy. For your information, cost me $80 to get it fixed (plus tax), and it's currently in my bag right now. Not a "$500.00 loss from one drunk night of stupidity".
    And to celebrate, I'm going out drinking on Friday.

PS: took a look at the final bill, it was $90.40 in the end including tax.

- - - Updated - - -

My phone's 100% fixed, and didn't burn a hole in my pocket. $80 to check and fix for water damage, and that was all.
    If you would have bought a $40 case in the first place, instead of spending the money to get drunk you wouldn't have had to dish out the repair costs.
    Typical teenager response though. You are too broke to do something smart, but when it comes to alcohol you have the money.
    And I was stating the obvious Not being a whatever rude word you used.
    Telus Mobility
    ---
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    If you would have bought a $40 case in the first place, instead of spending the money to get drunk you wouldn't have had to dish out the repair costs.
    Typical teenager response though. You are too broke to do something smart, but when it comes to alcohol you have the money.
    I got a iSkin case for free from Rogers which the sales associate told me was a good case. The alcohol was free on my part since I wasn't the one hosting the party, and I'm not a teenager. You're not stating the obvious, you're being rude and idiotic. Get off your high horse.

I'll take that teenager's line of thinking over yours any day. It's saved me close to a thousand dollars on insurance and phone cases over the past 13 years. Spending $1000 to prevent me from having to spend $80 is a pretty dumb thing to do.

Remember that "the obvious" was $500 a few posts ago.
    Thanked by:
    zm115 
    zm115 likes this.

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    I'll take that teenager's line of thinking over yours any day. It's saved me close to a thousand dollars on insurance and phone cases over the past 13 years. Spending $1000 to prevent me from having to spend $80 is a pretty dumb thing to do.

Remember that "the obvious" was $500 a few posts ago.
    What are you talking about??? What you said made ABSOLUTELY no sense! How does what you said even remotely have anything to do with me suggesting spending $40.00 on a semi water proof case to avoid spending money on a repair or an entirely new phone???
    Telus Mobility
    ---
    doomsday likes this.

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts

I got a iSkin case for free from Rogers which the sales associate told me was a good case. The alcohol was free on my part since I wasn't the one hosting the party, and I'm not a teenager. You're not stating the obvious, you're being rude and idiotic. Get off your high horse.
    It's apparent no matter what I say, you still know it all and own the world. Maybe when you grow up you will understand that preventative measures would save you money in the long run, which was my point all along. And based on you getting THAT stupid drunk that you dropped your phone in the toilet, would only make sense even more to get a case that was somewhat water proof. You got lucky this time in paying for just a repair which was STILL more than a case would have cost you and would have prevented water damage period. I would laugh the next time you do this and your phone is destroyed completely and you come back here whining that your broke *** had to spend 500 to get an entirely new one after arguing how stupid it was for me to suggest a case on your college broke budget.
    Telus Mobility
    ---

What are you talking about??? What you said made ABSOLUTELY no sense! How does what you said even remotely have anything to do with me suggesting spending $40.00 on a semi water proof case to avoid spending money on a repair or an entirely new phone???
    I could be way off (and I also find what her or she wrote to be a bit confusing) but I think he or she is suggesting that they saved "$1000.00" over a span of many years (13) by NOT purchasing insurance and/or phone covers and rather asking for possible fixes online (i.e. the rice trick) for careless actions that may have resulted in phone damage. If I missed the point, my apologies.

In my opinion, its kind of a silly way to look at it. If I go 13 years without an auto accident, then I guess the right line of thinking would have been to NOT have insurance since it would have saved me tens of thousands of dollars? I realize my 20-40 dollar cases and 7 dollar a month insurance over the course of many phones and years would indeed add up to a lot, but I prefer the peace of mind.
    mhinc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
    I could be way off (and I also find what her or she wrote to be a bit confusing) but I think he or she is suggesting that they saved "$1000.00" over a span of many years (13) by NOT purchasing insurance and/or phone covers and rather asking for possible fixes online (i.e. the rice trick) for careless actions that may have resulted in phone damage. If I missed the point, my apologies.

In my opinion, its kind of a silly way to look at it. If I go 13 years without an auto accident, then I guess the right line of thinking would have been to NOT have insurance since it would have saved me tens of thousands of dollars? I realize my 20-40 dollar cases and 7 dollar a month insurance over the course of many phones and years would indeed add up to a lot, but I prefer the peace of mind.
    I hesitate to say anything at this point, but...

I generally won't purchase insurance because the prices are ridiculously inflated (I've heard of some better deals of late, but also some outrageous pricing in the past) and I am pretty good at taking care of my stuff. If someone is the type who can never find their car keys and needs a car repair every 3 weeks due to some minor scrape or fender bender, they may understandably have a different answer, but I've made declining insurance into a sound economic decision over the years. That is just a matter of calculating $$$ and realizing the degree to which they exploit us. Then, you've also got to get REALLY unlucky. Losing the phone in month 2 of a 2 year contract--ouch. Destroying it in month 20 of a 2 year contract--yawn. Pretty close to getting rid of it anyway and how much was it worth at that point? Things depreciate quickly. Overpriced insurance, versus the relatively small possibility, based on my track record, of getting banged is an easy answer for me. Insurance costs often seem to me to rise to the level of scam. Insurance, extended warranties--generally not worth the bucks. (I don't recall offhand an insurance article, but consumer publications are chock full of warnings about extended warranties and how overpriced they are..) By taking a small risk that some catastrophe will occur early in my ownership of the device, which is the only significant financial risk, I've made out like a bandit by declining insurance. If one day I get clobbered and have to write a check for $500, so be it. I'm still ahead. WAYYYYY ahead. The $500 won't end my life. It is a reasonable self-insurance risk.

Cases are quite another matter. That I heartily recommend (although I'm not sure there are too many folks with pricey waterproof cases).

• For one thing, cases in general are relatively cheap. Unlike insurance, the cost of keeping the case does not go on forever. It is finite and fixed. An Otterbox Commuter is a nice case with drop protection for reasonable money (on Amazon, you should be able to pick them up for roughly $25)

• . For another, they can add value if you resell the phone--either because you have one to toss in, or better yet because they kept the phone pristine. In a sense, they pay for themselves.

• For a third, if the case protects you it is not just a matter of $$. You also avoid the incredible inconvenience of suddenly losing a phone temporarily and without warning. Depending on what happens, you may have re-setup your whole phone, etc. PITA.

• For yet another good reason, in a serious enough matter you could also lose irreplaceable data, too.

That is a laundry list of good reasons to have a case, and money is not always the determining factor. Insurance plans, by contrast, whether you have them or not, don't fix all those problems. They only address money. As noted, that is just a straight-up economic projection, which is why I come to a different conclusion there..
    Last edited by monsieurms; 03-08-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    I hesitate to say anything at this point, but...

I generally won't purchase insurance because the prices are ridiculously inflated (I've heard of some better deals of late, but also some outrageous pricing in the past) and I am pretty good at taking care of my stuff. If someone is the type who can never find their car keys and needs a car repair every 3 weeks due to some minor scrape or fender bender, they may understandably have a different answer, but I've made declining insurance into a sound economic decision over the years. That is just a matter of calculating $$$ and realizing the degree to which they exploit us. Then, you've also got to get REALLY unlucky. Losing the phone in month 2 of a 2 year contract--ouch. Destroying it in month 20 of a 2 year contract--yawn. Pretty close to getting rid of it anyway and how much was it worth at that point? Things depreciate quickly. Overpriced insurance, versus the relatively small possibility, based on my track record, of getting banged is an easy answer for me. Insurance costs often seem to me to rise to the level of scam. Insurance, extended warranties--generally not worth the bucks. (I don't recall offhand an insurance article, but consumer publications are chock full of warnings about extended warranties and how overpriced they are..) By taking a small risk that some catastrophe will occur early in my ownership of the device, which is the only significant financial risk, I've made out like a bandit by declining insurance. If one day I get clobbered and have to write a check for $500, so be it. I'm still ahead. WAYYYYY ahead. The $500 won't end my life. It is a reasonable self-insurance risk.

Cases are quite another matter. That I heartily recommend (although I'm not sure there are too many folks with pricey waterproof cases).

• For one thing, cases in general are relatively cheap. Unlike insurance, the cost of keeping the case does not go on forever. It is finite and fixed. An Otterbox Commuter is a nice case with drop protection for reasonable money (on Amazon, you should be able to pick them up for roughly $25)

• . For another, they can add value if you resell the phone--either because you have one to toss in, or better yet because they kept the phone pristine. In a sense, they pay for themselves.

• For a third, if the case protects you it is not just a matter of $$. You also avoid the incredible inconvenience of suddenly losing a phone temporarily and without warning. Depending on what happens, you may have re-setup your whole phone, etc. PITA.

• For yet another good reason, in a serious enough matter you could also lose irreplaceable data, too.

That is a laundry list of good reasons to have a case, and money is not always the determining factor. Insurance plans, by contrast, whether you have them or not, don't fix all those problems. They only address money. As noted, that is just a straight-up economic projection, which is why I come to a different conclusion there..
    Even an Otterbox defender would survive a toilet drop for the time it takes to reach in and grab it. and they are about 40 bucks. Insurance plans I have never purchased, nor was that even brought up above in the first place
    Telus Mobility
    ---
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Even an Otterbox defender would survive a toilet drop for the time it takes to reach in and grab it. and they are about 40 bucks. Insurance plans I have never purchased, nor was that even brought up above in the first place
    Holy jesus. You are the most unhelpful person I've ever encountered, and this is big considering I work in retail. I have an iSkin case, which isn't as fabulous as an Otterbox, I'll admit that. But I'd rather be able to eat for a week than shell out that money for a case. I'm a major klutz, and my iSkin has saved my phone numerous times from drops etc. I went into a store today and an Otterbox case costs $59.99. I'm happy with my case, and you're a useless little sh!t.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast