Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Factory Reset issue

Hello all, new here and looking for advice on how to save my S4 from replacement and my wallets loss of the 99 dollar replacement fee with sprint insurance.

I recently acquired a virus on my S4, took it into radioshack where I purchased it and they had a heck of a time getting it to factory reset. Since then it has been fine. However, today it randomly rebooted and when it restarted it began updating all my apps, including the one that caused the virus (I believe). So i quickly did a factory reset on my own using the volume up, power, and home button. All went well, but now that the phone is on again and trying to get everything in line, my dropdown bar has been showing "preparing network" for about 40 mins and I can make a call but texts won't send. Additionally, my internet app crashes every time I open it. What is also strange is that after my factory reset, my contacts appeared right away, without me recovering them from gmail or my sd card, which may be normal, but it just doesn't seem like they should be there. Any ideas?

Global Posts
    22,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Factory Reset issue

Quote Originally Posted by alyssai View Post
    Hello all, new here and looking for advice on how to save my S4 from replacement and my wallets loss of the 99 dollar replacement fee with sprint insurance.

I recently acquired a virus on my S4, took it into radioshack where I purchased it and they had a heck of a time getting it to factory reset. Since then it has been fine. However, today it randomly rebooted and when it restarted it began updating all my apps, including the one that caused the virus (I believe). So i quickly did a factory reset on my own using the volume up, power, and home button. All went well, but now that the phone is on again and trying to get everything in line, my dropdown bar has been showing "preparing network" for about 40 mins and I can make a call but texts won't send. Additionally, my internet app crashes every time I open it. What is also strange is that after my factory reset, my contacts appeared right away, without me recovering them from gmail or my sd card, which may be normal, but it just doesn't seem like they should be there. Any ideas?
    Welcome to the forums.
    I am discussing this with some fellow Ambassadors at the moment.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Check in your Settings/ Backup and Reset and disable the option to RESTORE your Google apps/settings. This should stop it from installing your old apps and hopefully whatever app is causing your problem.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Almeuit likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I just tried to do that and now it won't even let me into my settings, I get "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped." So now it seems like its the virus blocking me from stopping it? I can't download any new apps, and random messages that say, "Unfortunately, samsung music, youtube, google tv, etc has stopped." even after I haven't tried to open them.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Its as though after the reset the virus is still present. Is that possible?

Are you sure it was a virus? Maybe somehow some system file got corrupt.

Have you asked Sprint to see if this would be covered under the warranty?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Are you sure it was a virus? Maybe somehow some system file got corrupt.

Have you asked Sprint to see if this would be covered under the warranty?

No I'm not sure, that is just what radioshack suggested. Can I call someone to find out if it is under warranty? The company or the store?

Global Posts
    22,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

No I'm not sure, that is just what radioshack suggested. Can I call someone to find out if it is under warranty? The company or the store?
    I would call either a corporate store or sprint directly. However, let's try clearing cache in recovery.
    [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Warranty is one year from date of purchase. The s4 isn't even a year old. Call Sprint directly

888-211-4727

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I would call either a corporate store or sprint directly. However, let's try clearing cache in recovery.
    [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried it and it seems to be running the same.
    Edit: just as I submitted this post, one text came through, but I can't send one back still. I will call Sprint

Global Posts
    22,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Let us know how it works out.

Phone Timeline
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I called sprint yesterday to clarify my warranty and they gave me the location of the nearest repair store. However, I had to go to work for 6 hrs before I could make it to the store. I just kept my s4 in my pocket with mobile data on and after about an hour of inactivity it began updating my network and everything else and now it's running great. I'm using it to type this post now! Perhaps it just needed time.. A lot of time! It took about 4 hours for it to get back to normal..

So now my question is.. what if this happens again and I run into this same problem. Would you all recommend I replace it regardless of how long it takes it to reboot after I reset it?

Global Posts
    22,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I called sprint yesterday to clarify my warranty and they gave me the location of the nearest repair store. However, I had to go to work for 6 hrs before I could make it to the store. I just kept my s4 in my pocket with mobile data on and after about an hour of inactivity it began updating my network and everything else and now it's running great. I'm using it to type this post now! Perhaps it just needed time.. A lot of time! It took about 4 hours for it to get back to normal..

So now my question is.. what if this happens again and I run into this same problem. Would you all recommend I replace it regardless of how long it takes it to reboot after I reset it?
    If it does, I would take it in.
    Glad it got sorted out. See you around the forums.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline

I am surprised that Sprint won't just send you a replacement. But glad to hear that it got sorted out. Definitely if it happens again, take it in.

Golfdriver97 likes this.