Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Default Galaxy S4: Cannot save files to SanDisk MicroSD Card after KitKat Update

I just update my S4 to the KitKat version. Now I cannot save or create any file to my SD card. I keep getting the erroe message "file not found...... open failed EACCES (PERMISSION DENIED). Also, MyBackup Pro and TotalRecall apps would not save or backup to my card as well. They've all been working fine until I did the update. Please help!!

Default Re: Cannot save files to sANDisk Microsd Card after Kitkat Update

ummm not sure if you're aware that's one of the major problem that everyone is complaining about KitKat Google is preventing the ext SD from being write to now I think your only option is by hooking up to your computer using a usb cable. I haven't updated mine for that reason i just hope samsung is doing something to be able to edit on the sd otherwise SD will be totally useless especially when Samsung already have to much bloated software 16gb won't be enough space for anyone. You're almost better off to buy a 32gb phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolsba View Post
    I just update my S4 to the KitKat version. Now I cannot save or create any file to my SD card. I keep getting the erroe message "file not found...... open failed EACCES (PERMISSION DENIED). Also, MyBackup Pro and TotalRecall apps would not save or backup to my card as well. They've all been working fine until I did the update. Please help!!

Yes, I am having that problem as well. Unless an update comes it can't be done directly to the phone.

Most pre installed apps will work fine, most third party apps can read from, but not write to, create folders, or delete from ext storage, I believe that apps can be updated to have access to folders that THEY create, but will not have access, other than read, to any other folders on the SD card. Time will tell, but given that most manufactures have abandoned ext SD cards, I doubt it will ever be like it was.

for me ES File Explorer doesn't work with SD card after the update, but the stock file manager "My Files" works with my SD card with no problems so far.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by marioDOTmpeg View Post
    for me ES File Explorer doesn't work with SD card after the update, but the stock file manager "My Files" works with my SD card with no problems so far.

Posted via Android Central App
    Correct, I doubt any third party file managers will ever work again, some other apps, such as third party camera apps, also cannot save to the SD card, but I think this will be fixed, as I understand it, an app such as this, can be updated to create it's OWN folder on the card, and access that folder, but only READ other folders on the card.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    Correct, I doubt any third party file managers will ever work again, some other apps, such as third party camera apps, also cannot save to the SD card, but I think this will be fixed, as I understand it, an app such as this, can be updated to create it's OWN folder on the card, and access that folder, but only READ other folders on the card.
    ES File Explorer still works to copy/move files to/from my SD but cannot create folders within it.

Quote Originally Posted by marioDOTmpeg View Post
    ES File Explorer still works to copy/move files to/from my SD but cannot create folders within it.
    Yep, the stock My Files app is the only one I know of currently that can do that, I understand what Google is trying to do, but limiting choice is never a good thing IMO.