Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Help reduce S4 Lag!

Hi Guys,

Hate to rant on a first post, but I'm having lag issues on my S4 and need to know if its "normal". This is my first android phone, had all iphones prior with the exception of my last phone being a windows phone nokia 920.

After catching a killer deal on the S4, I made the switch. Loving all the customization that can be done, however I am hating the lag.

When I open my text messages there is a lag, the phone app has a huge lag when I try and swipe to call sometimes it doesnt pick up my touch. I wont even talk about the gallery app, switched to quickpic already. Lags when opening camera app, switching camera modes, etc. In general it just feels like its always trying to catch up to what i'm doing.

I'm using Nova, contacts plus. I've tried nearly ever text app there is and they all seem to lag. I just keep finding it hard to believe such a powerful phone can be so laggy. It feels significantly slower than my nokia 920 was and that phone is not nearly as powerful spec wise. I've done the developer mode changes, disabled all the samsung bloatware, etc. Is there anything I can do to take less load off the ram/processor to make it perform faster or is it program issues between android/samsung hardware? What apps have you found slow things down?

I appreciate any tips.

Default Re: Help reduce S4 Lag!

I have the s4, and after using a windows phone for a little while, I agree its quite laggy. Not unbearable, but compared to the iPhone and windows phone its clear. So your lag is normal, its a part of having a s4 I suppose. I wish I opted for a moto x or nexus 5. But to address your the texting app issue, I use Textra. By far the best app I've ever used. So in all honesty, you won't get the same fluidity with the s4 that you did with your past phones, but still a awesome phone. Have a great day !:-)

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Help reduce S4 Lag!

Quote Originally Posted by Kolten Nay View Post
    I have the s4, and after using a windows phone for a little while, I agree its quite laggy. Not unbearable, but compared to the iPhone and windows phone its clear. So your lag is normal, its a part of having a s4 I suppose. I wish I opted for a moto x or nexus 5. But to address your the texting app issue, I use Textra. By far the best app I've ever used. So in all honesty, you won't get the same fluidity with the s4 that you did with your past phones, but still a awesome phone. Have a great day !:-)

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanks for the honest, yet a little disappointing response. I know there are trade offs to being able to have such customization, but really wish I could get it more responsive. Also thanks for the Textra tip, I have not tried that one yet.