Galaxy S4: My feedback for 4.4.x update

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Its been nearly 2 days since the update.

Some Changes in UI :

Status Bar Icons to White
Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-36-51.png

-Lockscreen Album Art

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-56-55.jpg

-Shortcut Camera Icon on Lockscreen

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-39-37.png

-Slightly tweaked up settings menu

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-38-00.png

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-38-28.jpg

-Changes in Multi-Window UI

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-43-58.jpg

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-44-10.png

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-44-39.jpg

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-45-08.jpg

Clear Button in Notification Panel :

Screenshot_2014-03-09-10-38-16.png

Other Aspects :
-Standby time on Wifi greatly improved
-Device feels same , no degradation in performance
-Camera shots seem little better (don't know if algorithms are tweaked up too)
-External SD-card related features are buggy and feel incomplete

Last edited by a moderator:

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: My feedback for 4.4.x update

Its been nearly 2 days since the update.

Some Changes in UI :

Status Bar Icons to White
View attachment 107260

-Lockscreen Album Art

View attachment 107261

-Shortcut Camera Icon on Lockscreen

View attachment 107262

-Slightly tweaked up settings menu

View attachment 107263

View attachment 107264

-Changes in Multi-Window UI

View attachment 107265

View attachment 107266

View attachment 107267

View attachment 107268

Clear Button in Notification Panel :

View attachment 107269

Other Aspects :
-Standby time on Wifi greatly improved
-Device feels same , no degradation in performance
-Camera shots seem little better (don't know if algorithms are tweaked up too)
-External SD-card related features are buggy and feel incomplete

How did you got the update? OTA or through kies or service centre? In India OTA update hasn't been arrived.

Posted via Android Central App from Samsung GALAXY S4 (GT-I9500)

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Through Kies (No data will be lost but you gotta download like 1GB data).

Update did arrive in India but didn't roll out to all regions.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Kies has some bug. After downloading 50% it says device has got disconnected. I got kitkat from service centre a couple of weeks ago, then I had to change my motherboard due to sd card problem from the same service centre (the problem was there before updating to kitkat). When I got my phone back I saw it's in 4.3 and it says latest update has already been installed. The service centre engineer couldn't update the phone through their pc and asked me to wait for the release of OTA update. Now still waiting fro the update to receive. 😑

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Kies has some bug. After downloading 50% it says device has got disconnected. I got kitkat from service centre a couple of weeks ago, then I had to change my motherboard due to sd card problem from the same service centre (the problem was there before updating to kitkat). When I got my phone back I saw it's in 4.3 and it says latest update has already been installed. The service centre engineer couldn't update the phone through their pc and asked me to wait for the release of OTA update. Now still waiting fro the update to receive. ��

oh , have you tried re-installing kies or trying update using another computer ?

btw , What sd card problem you had ?

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have tried. . My friend also has s4.. he couldn't update either..

All the files in sd card were getting deleted automatically after restarting the phone..only the apps were not deleted. . Sometimes the apps in the sd card weren't working until I restarted the phone..the error message was "the app has stopped working" for every app..

Last edited:

SAVAGE420

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys have the mobile button in the Notification pull down menu or no? Like it was back with 4.2.2.

It was taken away with 4.3.....dumb move.

SAVAGE420

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Still no mobile button in the drop-down notification menu.... STUPID. Oh well, I'm used to it now when they changed it with 4.3.
Other then that. It's good so far.
I'm going to check everything right now. Seems a million times smoother from 4.3 junk.

Sent from my shed.

Last edited:

SAVAGE420

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Can you post a screenshot ? What mobile button you mean ?

Right here. It used to be to the left of the wifi button back with 4.2. It was taken away with 4.3 and still gone with 4.4.2 .
It's not that big of a deal, but it was really handy and quick to be able to just pull down the notification menu and click it on or off as needed.

ubusy7ep.jpg

uzumyga8.jpg

Like I said above it was just nice and quick like that, but from 4.3 on, you have to pull down the notification menu, click settings, click data usage and turn it on or off in there with the check mark.
Like this screen shot I just took as well.
ade2aqyr.jpg

Doing stuff faster is how I liked it. Oh well I've learned to live with it like this, not a huge deal, just annoying that we can't customize to our liking. Can't please us all I guess.

But other then that, so far so good, I didn't like 4.3 much at all. This 4.4.2 is WAY more smooth and quicker doing stuff. All around as of now I like it alot better than previous updates.

No problems with my SD card functions as well. (64gig class 10)

Not sure as of now, the battery life compared to before is better, worse or the same, only time will tell me that I guess. But seems fine so far.

Also freed up a half gig of space or more on the phone as well. Not bad not bad...... :)

Hope that helped.

Sent from my shed.

Last edited:

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
See :

My phone is unlocked, Exynos Version.

Edit : how come you didn't change button placement much ?

You can change their positions using pencil button on top right corner.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1394804037000.jpg
    1394804037000.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 44

SAVAGE420

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I know I can move the icons around with the pencil button icon as always. I like them where I have them pretty much.

But I still don't have the mobile button at the top. I know ALOT of people's phones after getting the 4.3 it went away.. As well as with 4.4
Weird that you have it dammit, Oh well lol
Maybe different carriers and country's are slightly different.
I've always had the clear button on the notification panel and I see above you didn't before.
Sent from my shed.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I know I can move the icons around with the pencil button icon as always. I like them where I have them pretty much.

But I still don't have the mobile button at the top. I know ALOT of people's phones after getting the 4.3 it went away.. As well as with 4.4
Weird that you have it dammit, Oh well lol
Maybe different carriers and country's are slightly different.
I've always had the clear button on the notification panel and I see above you didn't before.
Sent from my shed.

Nah, I had clear button but they changed its look slightly in 4.4, it's more dark color now.

Mine is unlocked, carrier has no control regarding updates, so updates are faster and direct from Samsung.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Nah, I had clear button but they changed its look slightly in 4.4, it's more dark color now.

Mine is unlocked, carrier has no control regarding updates, so updates are faster and direct from Samsung.

Did you notice any problems with the SD card as discussed in this forum that kitkat is having some problem of not writing apps on SD card. If it's so then it's a serious problem for me. Please check and reply soon. I am from India having GT-I9500. Some people are saying it gas problems some say it's not. If it's real and happens for my phone then I won't update. As you own same phone and you are from same region, so I am asking you.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Did you notice any problems with the SD card as discussed in this forum that kitkat is having some problem of not writing apps on SD card. If it's so then it's a serious problem for me. Please check and reply soon. I am from India having GT-I9500. Some people are saying it gas problems some say it's not. If it's real and happens for my phone then I won't update. As you own same phone and you are from same region, so I am asking you.

I've got a I9500, and flashed Indian INU 4.4.2 KitKat, I was able to move Angry Birds Seasons to SD Card and it ran, so I haven't had an issue, BUT the games saved data goes to internal mem.
wGSd0oH.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke