Galaxy S4: kitkat 4.4.2 is a horrible update

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The 4.4.2 update seems to have been a successful update for the Octa Core Galaxy S4 compared to the Quad Core Galaxy S4. Also, the CPU has been throttled on the Quad Core variant, making gaming and multitasking more cumbersome. Also, run an AnTuTu bench mark of the Quad Core vs the Octa Core. The Octa Core scores 28,000+ on the test whereas the Quad Core scores only about 22,000 - a significant drop from Android 4.3.

Combine the throttled performance with the microSD fail, and you've got probably the crappiest update ever released by Android. I can't wait to ditch my S4 for the LG G3.

Posted via Android Central App

JLTEEXO

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
OKOKOK GUYS. I THINK I KNOW WHY IT KEEPS BUGGING THAT WAY. After 2 months, I finally might figured out what went wrong with the lockscreen, the warm up problem and the fast battery drain!

So, I did try to reset my device before already and the problem would still occur, but this time it was different. I reset it again without backing up anything or downloading anything (just to test it) and my s4 survived!

1. Google map / GPS or any application that reads your location are what cause the fast battery drain and the warming up issue.

What I suggest you to do is : go to
settings > more tab > application manager > look for Google Map > clear cache and clear data. Do this everytime after you're done using Google Map only!

If you don't need your GPS, keep it off and try to not allow applications to read your location as it keeps making your device running all the time...

2. Device cleaners apps, battery savers apps and antivirus are what making the screen stays black (won't wake up)

I don't know why but just uninstall it.. Jelly Bean used to support it but I do not know why it's acting up with Kit Kat. And yes, I did the test! Since the last reset, I tired to install only phew applications day by day until I installed AVG antivirus, DU Battery Booster, DU Speed Booster and the "stuck on black screen" came back and I had to reset my phone all over aaagain.

It's been 2 weeks now and I got no more problems! ; Much better battery life (only lose around 1-3% per hour now when idle) , no more excessive warming up and no more blackout! Happy me!! :)

You don't have to make a hard reset like me! Just make sure everything that has to do with your location utilisation remains off and unistall any cleaners apps or antivirus! Then restart your device for a last time and it should be fine.

Feel free to tell us if that worked for you or not!

Last edited:

chillonhill

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Glad I found this info. Thread
So it's not my phone, me too it's all screwed up. Will not wake up. Push the button. Black screen, keep pushing it eventually gets going. Swipe. Screen. Swipe screen again, Swipe screen again. Oh now. There we go, ok it works. But the worst for me Now. I keep getting email notifications, or some other notifications of nothing. With the same chime. I put my the defective email account to silent and it stopped. It's driving me crazy.

This totally blows, any ideas. What the heck is going on
Whoopee. Thanks google. I have a camera icon. But my phone is now. ****
Was going to buy a new phone, Lol. I was going to go to the videotron store. Because I thought the phone was defective. But may not choose android again because of this

I will try your above instructions. Will uninstall avast. Antivirus, and gps to off. To see what happens
S4. With videotron. Everything was fine from last summer up till the last update. Very unacceptable, hope they can fix these issues soon. But the notification chime thing is my worst problem. Every 15 minutes or so. Just keeps driving me nuts so had to put to silent.
Update: well I deleted every email and it seems to have stopped. Was somehow attached to another email a sender I guess. And getting notifications maybe. I have no idea. When I swiped down the screen it had a notification that was trying to send a previous email from September 2013. Like from 8 months ago, but those were deleted long time ago. But was still trying But kept failing. Maybe something to do with that. Anyways as long as the ringing has stopped every 15 min. It's good for me.
S4. With videotron

Last edited:

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
OKOKOK GUYS. I THINK I KNOW WHY IT KEEPS BUGGING THAT WAY. After 2 months, I might finally figured out what went wrong with the lockscreen, the warm up problem and the fast battery drain!

So, I did try to reset my device before already and the problem would still occur, but this time it was different. I reset it again without backing up anything or downloading anything (just to test it) and my s4 survived!

1. Google map / GPS or any application that reads your location are the causes of your fast battery drain and the warming up problem.

settings > more tab > application manager > find Google Map > clear cache and clear data. Do this everytime after you're done using Google Map!

If you don't need your GPS, keep it off and try to not allow applications to read your location as it keeps making your device running all the time...

2. Device cleaner application, battery saver application and antivirus are what making the screen staying black (won't wake up)

I don't know why but just uninstall it.. Jelly Bean used to support it but I do not know why it's acting up with Kit Kat. And yes I did do the test! I tried to install only phew applications since the reset day by day until I installed AVG, DU Battery Booster, DU Speed Booster and the "stuck on black screen" came back and I had to reset my phone aaagain.

My s4 survived since 2 weeks now. Much better battery life (only lose around 1-3% per hour now) , no more excessive warming up and no more blackout! Happy me!! :)

You don't have to make a hard reset like me! Just make sure everything that has to do with your location utilisation remains off and unistall device cleaner apps or antivirus!

Feel free to tell me if did it or didn't it worked!

I have been saying this from time to time.....that cleaners , anti virus etc. will only ruin the experience.................here is a comment regarding that which I made on other thread :

Best power saving technique is to use the power saving mode given by Samsung/OEMs because it works both on hardware and software level rather than normal apps which just control brightness and stuff which doesn't help in better battery in any way.

If you really want better battery life, don't constantly off and on location services. Keep it either on or off.

If you travel, put off location services because it constantly tries to watch the wifi hotspots and networks and try to report location to google which might use up battery life a lot.

Poor signal coupled with your phone trying to load stuff is the number one reason which causes battery drain most of the time.

Don't clear RAM because resuming apps on RAM is much better battery saver than restarting the apps again and again.

I never use any anti virus apps or battery savers or cache cleaners (which half of the time mess up things than fix them).

Don't clear cache unless you are out of storage or didn't clear it for a month.

Half the time, people make battery life worse by cleaning cache or clearing RAM which puts more pressure on the processor to reloading things.

Let the system do its work. Android automatically does everything for you. OEMs provide power saving mode optimized for that hardware.

P.S I once installed RAM usage meter on my iPad and I was shocked to see that system constantly takes up 80-90% of the RAM all the time.
I didn't even notice it until I installed the app. Android and iOS automatically manage your RAM.
Free RAM = waste RAM. No use of having 500MB free RAM because its useless without using it.

Linux and mobile OS works different from Windows PC. So, free RAM in windows is different from free RAM in Linux. (google search it)

JLTEEXO

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
@sanjay chandra

ahh..! So sad I didn't found your thread or it would help me a long time ago already. but you are right. Cleaners are totally big issues!

Last edited:

samsunghelp

May 14, 2014
Visit site
So what exactly are we supposed to do guys... my phone got messed up to the point of being unusable...
battery drain - needs to be recharged 3 times a day
long time to charge
Phone thinks its plugged in even when its not (have to take battery out to fix this)
terrible signal/wifi - both are constantly getting dropped
led indicators won't come on

It was a BRAND NEW phone too, straight out of the box and figured the update would begood... are we supposed to just return them?

rlh929

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Seriously I am so sad. I thought upgrading to 4.4.2 would fix many things for my s4 but it just got worse. I admit that the system is much more smoother now but it's far away from faster. My phone won't unlock/wake up now.. I can swipe on the black screen and it would make the unlock sound but the screen would still not respond/stay black and there is nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. my keyboard is jamming; it happens often that I can't type anything, can't press anything and again, theres nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. I never experienced any of this before the update and it's making me upset because I feel like it's really damaging my only 5 months old s4. I never had to restart my device before and now I have to restart it at least twice a day.. Anyways, I absolutely do not recommend this update.. but for those who their phone seems to be fine, well. you are lucky.

:(

Edit: I'm not the only one!!

Sprint Galaxy S4: Kitkat Update Screen Problem - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Galaxy S4: I Think I'm Beginning to Despise This Phone - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Kit Kat Bug - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Videotron / S4 / SGH-M919V

EDIT:

OKOKOK GUYS. I THINK I KNOW WHY IT KEEPS BUGGING THAT WAY. After 2 months, I finally might figured out what went wrong with the lockscreen, the warm up problem and the fast battery drain!

1. Google map / GPS or any application that reads your location are what cause the fast battery drain and the warming up issue.

settings > more tab > application manager > look for Google Map > clear cache and clear data. Do this everytime after you're done using Google Map only!

2. Device cleaners apps, battery savers apps and antivirus are what making the screen stays black (won't wake up)

I don't know why but just uninstall it.. Jelly Bean used to support it but I do not know why it's acting up with Kit Kat. And yes, I did the test! Since the last reset, I tired to install only phew applications day by day until I installed AVG, DU Battery Booster, DU Speed Booster and the "stuck on black screen" came back and I had to reset my phone all over aaagain.

It's been 2 weeks now and I got no more problems! ; Much better battery life (only lose around 1-3% per hour now when idle) , no more excessive warming up and no more blackout! Happy me!! :)

You don't have to make a hard reset like me! Just make sure everything that has to do with your location utilisation remains off and unistall any cleaners apps or antivirus! Then restart it for a last time and it should be fine.

My sd card keeps being corrupted by???? And I lose everything

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously I am so sad. I thought upgrading to 4.4.2 would fix many things for my s4 but it just got worse. I admit that the system is much more smoother now but it's far away from faster. My phone won't unlock/wake up now.. I can swipe on the black screen and it would make the unlock sound but the screen would still not respond/stay black and there is nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. my keyboard is jamming; it happens often that I can't type anything, can't press anything and again, theres nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. I never experienced any of this before the update and it's making me upset because I feel like it's really damaging my only 5 months old s4. I never had to restart my device before and now I have to restart it at least twice a day.. Anyways, I absolutely do not recommend this update.. but for those who their phone seems to be fine, well. you are lucky.

:(

Edit: I'm not the only one!!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=364941

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=374704

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=390295

Videotron / S4 / SGH-M919V

EDIT:

I don't know why but just uninstall it.. Jelly Bean used to support it but I do not know why it's acting up with Kit Kat. And yes, I did the test! Since the last reset, I tired to install only phew applications day by day until I installed AVG, DU Battery Booster, DU Speed Booster and the "stuck on black screen" came back and I had to reset my phone all over aaagain.

You don't have to make a hard reset like me! Just make sure everything that has to do with your location utilisation remains off and unistall any cleaners apps or antivirus! Then restart it for a last time and it should be fine.

My sd card keeps being corrupted by???? And I lose everything

Mary Laing

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Using Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - I too am not thrilled with the upgrade to Kit Kat. Don't like the fact that while in an app it fills the complete screen. Can't see the top bar with time and remaining battery life. I want this feature back!
Also, I've previously downloaded program so my grandkids can use only their games. Now this app won't open or play their games. Those small things are very frustrating!
Please change it so I could see the time while in apps.
I would attach a pic, but I just noticed they took away the button for screen shots!!! Grrrrrrrr
Also the button for minimizing the keyboard. Double Grrrrrrr

anon(8278816)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Just got an 83mb(?) Firmware download. Don't have time for it ATM, but I have been successfully using 4.4.2. Could this be 4.4.3?

SGH-I337M, rockin the Great White North on Telus

AzharB17

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
So guys haven't updated mine due to the risk, but will there be 4.4.3 released for this? Hopefully it is and hopefully it fixes these issues for everyone's benefit

gonza026

May 16, 2014
Visit site
hy everyone...

When I Update to KitKat4.4 the screen going black and I force to shoot down. When device start, the recovery menu is Up, and I pressed Reset to factory data, or something like that, and I Lost EVERYTHING.. I'm going to killme... I lost photos, videos, contacts, messagges.. everything.. Can Someone, help me to recovered?

Thanks a lot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc