Galaxy S4: Google Play Services has gone nuts

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have an S4 and got the kitkat update a week or two ago, all was very well until today when suddenly Google Play Services began using more battery than my screen. I have been using about 35% of my battery per day so I could go almost 3 days on one charge, but today it's gone from 60% at 9am to 12% now, and the culprit is Play Services.

This happened to me with my S3 in the winter and I was told to uninstall and reinstall Play Services, which worked. But I can't figure out how to do that in KitKat, I have no such options this time. I uninstalled updates for Play Services and stopped the application and now I have TWO COPIES of it running. I don't want to do a factory reset if I can find a way around it - and somehow I managed to find a way around it before... but I can't remember now what I did, since it seems it was not to uninstall Play Services... I can't have my phone dying daily from just stupid Play Services. Has anyone solved this recently? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Play Services has gone nuts

When this happens to me from time to time, a reboot usually corrects it. Have you tried that? Remember also that just because it shows up twice in your "Running Apps" list doesn't mean that it's the same thing being duplicated--it probably represents a few different processes and services that are running.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I restarted, but then the battery was falling rapidly below 10% so I just shut it off and plugged it in. We'll see today!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I restarted, but then the battery was falling rapidly below 10% so I just shut it off and plugged it in. We'll see today!

Try clearing cache on the device and see if that helps. It'll save you from a factory reset if it does.

Follow this guide and refer to the S3 method for booting into recovery (volume up+home+power), I'm pretty sure it's the same for the S4: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app