Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default memory problem on S4

Hello Android people

so i recently got this S4 to my wife , looked great and everything but now it has this famous memory problem
    its GT-19500 version 4.2.2
    when i tap settings >>More>> storage it says total space 8.9 GB ,, now how come its just 8.9 g only ,, ???!! i bought this thing 16 G,, also i have application and data about 3.5 G in total and it says available 748MB only !!!! where is the rest ?
    also when i tap the task manager>> storage >> it says : system storage 15.27GB/16.00GB ,, why is there a diff in the memory calculations ?.. can this issue be resolved ? how ?
    how come i just bought this phone and its showing this huge utilization ?

Thank you

Default Re: memory problem on S4

The phone's own operation system and utilities consume space and have to reside somewhere. That's where your 16GB internal storage goes from 16GB to 8.9GB.
    Every hard drive or storage device (MicroSD) requires overhead to manage the file system. That's where your .73GB went on your external storage (MicroSD).
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    The phone's own operation system and utilities consume space and have to reside somewhere. That's where your 16GB internal storage goes from 16GB to 8.9GB.
    Every hard drive or storage device (MicroSD) requires overhead to manage the file system. That's where your .73GB went on your external storage (MicroSD).
    hello Trucky
    i have no external memory ,, what should i do ?

You don't have a MicroSD card inside your phone?
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Your external memory port is inside the battery. You have to remove it to insert the SD card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Phone History
    Blackberry Curve > HTC Hero > Blackberry Tour > HTC EVO > Blackberry Bold > Droid X > iPhone 4 > HTC Evo LTE > iPhone 5 > Droid DNA > iPhone 5 > Galaxy S4 > iPhone 5S > Galaxy S5

Twitter: @Shoenflwx

Quote Originally Posted by Darthstorm528 View Post
    Your external memory port is inside the battery. You have to remove it to insert the SD card
    Well... close. It's under the battery cover, although it's always a good idea to remove the battery prior to inserting or removing a SD memory card.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    You don't have a MicroSD card inside your phone?
    yes i don't have external SD ,, only 16 G internal memory ,, what should i do to free up some space ? and where is all the 8G eaten ? i swear i have only like 3.5 G used ,, where the heck is the rest of the 8 G ?? so strange and annoying

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedmabrouk View Post
    yes i don't have external SD ,, only 16 G internal memory ,, what should i do to free up some space ? and where is all the 8G eaten ? i swear i have only like 3.5 G used ,, where the heck is the rest of the 8 G ?? so strange and annoying
    Re-read post # 2. This normal.