Google Play Music can't download right now

peter66

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a new S4 and have been trying to find ways of getting my music onto it with many failed attempts - looked like it was going to be Doubletwist but then the KitKat update made that a no go as I wouldn't be able to download to SD card. I have opted for Google Play Music - I have set it to download to external sd card and I have started going through the slow process of pressing the little pin on each album so that it will download. First few worked fine but since yesterday it keeps trying to download but immediately flags up the message "Can't download music right now...Will try again later". It has been doing that for more than 24 hours now. I have tried restarting, making sure it is fully charged, unmounting and mounting the sd card, unpinning the album that it is partway through downloading in case that was the problem - no joy!

On a couple of occasions I have gone into the settings on Google Play Music to check that it is showing the external sd card as the storage location, and it has, but once or twice it has shown that external sd card as disconnected. That seems to sort itself out after a restart, but a bit weird all the same.

Please help! I am really missing my old iPhone at the moment!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It might be a server issue. It might be a bug in the app.
The only thing I can think of to try, and it may not work in this instance, is to clear app preferences in Settings. Go to Settings>Application Manager>Menu>reset app preferences.
This will cause any app you have set to always do something as a default to be reset, but sometimes this helps with general Play issues as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ensure you are on wifi (unless you have a data plan that allows alot of use)..

I only get that message is the download music via wifi only option is checked so that may be your issue. (see below). So ensure you're on the right connection.

Also a tip.. You can add albums you like to play lists. I always add a bunch of albums (or specific songs) to a playlist of the same genre.. That way when you need it on your phone you can simply pin the playlist and it will download it all at once.. ;).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1395850160664.jpg
    1395850160664.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 59
  • 1395850167998.jpg
    1395850167998.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 60

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You can try clearing cache in application manager. But I suspect that this is a server issue. I have having problems with some Google services.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

peter66

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi both

Thanks for your replies - I can confirm that I already had the wifi only box ticked. I tried clearing the cache but no good.

What I have done now is to unpin the music that it was trying to download completely, restarted the phone, and now I have pinned a different album and it has started to download OK. Very early days - it is up to 1% - but fingers crossed. I did have 4 albums all pinned and in the queue so maybe it was just a bit overwhelmed?!

peter66

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Spoke too soon - it got less than a quarter through the album before the same thing happened - "can't download music right now..." I am sitting at my desk, right next to the router with a very strong wifi signal. It's a mystery to me, so any help or other ideas would be welcome

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Spoke too soon - it got less than a quarter through the album before the same thing happened - "can't download music right now..." I am sitting at my desk, right next to the router with a very strong wifi signal. It's a mystery to me, so any help or other ideas would be welcome

Ah okay so it is downloading some and doing it. I've had this happen as well.. I've tossed it up to being a glitch.

Go to settings again and then to where the wifi option is and click on your "download queue". From there just hit the button at the top.. Usually says pause downloads when it glitches on me like this... But if you hit the Paul downloads and then hit resume downloads it should go again.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

plexippus

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I've done a bunch of troubleshooting and the problem for me is that there is a file that All Access is trying to download, however, that file doesn't exist on Google's server. My file in question is Channel 42 by Deadmau5. I "thumbed up" the song, and it added it to my autoplaylist. Sometime later--weeks, months...I don't know, the song would no longer play. During this time, the error started. The song would try to play, but then it would skip to the next song in the playlist. This file never downloaded and I verified that it is causing this error. I went online on my PC to remove the song from the "thumbed up" playlist by removing the "thumb". It removes the file from my Auto Playlist on my PC, however, it doesn't remove it from my auto playlist on my phone (you can't remove songs from the auto playlist via the phone, only via a browser). Now, I can search for the song Channel 42 and play it, no problem, just not the file that is in my autoplaylist. If I try to view the album, it says "unknown album" "unknown artist". If I try to buy the song, it says "not found". I can search for the song and download the song from the album that does exist, and I have no problems with this, but I still can't get this song from the same album to play from the autoplaylist. It is most certainly a different file that was changed on their servers.

So, the file won't download and because of this it causes the error, but I also can't remove it from the playlist because the file doesn't exist on the server. So, this error will continue without resolution.

I've confirmed that this is my account that is causing the problem and not the phone. I've cleared cache, hard reset...no dice. I even logged in on another phone; same error: Channel 42 is there but can't be played from my playlist nor can it be removed.

I spent an hour on the phone tonight with Google and they can't quite figure it out. The problem is being escalated. My honest opinion...the error for me started after google updated their app because the name of the album is >album title goes here<. That album title is a bug waiting to happen! I bet the script that added the file to the server made a mistake and thus we have a bug. Wouldn't that be funny?

Hopefully we will have a resolution for this soon.

jasonbmcc

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same problem and ran across your thread.

After reading through all the posts, I too was stumped. Then I tried un-checking "Stream via Wi-Fi only." Once I did that, all the songs in my queue downloaded immediately, even though I was connected to the wi-fi in my house the whole time.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem and ran across your thread. After reading through all the posts, I too was stumped. Then I tried un-checking "Stream via Wi-Fi only." Once I did that, all the songs in my queue downloaded immediately, even though I was connected to the wi-fi in my house the whole time.
I just had the exact opposite happen with my OnePlus One. I had it set to download on WiFi only, but stream via WiFi was unchecked. The moment I checked it, it immediately started downloading without a hitch. Weird. (Found this thread Googling for the issue.)

Gio Rodz

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this problem since I restored my HTC One M8 last week, it doesn't want to download any songs, and I've tried reinstalling the app, turning off and on my phone, clearing the cache etc. But none of those worked for me. Now, I tried disabling the option "Download via Wi-Fi only" and as soon as I uncheck the box, my music begins downloading!! That is messed up, but I'm happy that I can finally download my music, it was a pain for my data. Thank you guys!

Posted via the Android Central App

dismantelope

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Have also had this issue ever since doing a restore, but have had it across multiple devices for the past year. I've had success by unchecking both the 'Stream via WiFi' and 'Download via WiFi' options, even though I'm still connected to my home WiFi. It'll still use your WiFi for the data, but make sure to readjust these settings after your downloads are done if you're watching cell data usage. Most recently, I had to reboot my modem/router first before unchecking the above options. Recommend the same if all else fails, as it worked instantly after doing so.

tbt666

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Im having the same issue with my galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition only i dont have a option to turn off the download on wifi only because its the wifi model. Ive been trying to find solutions online that can help me with this and this is the only one that i have found that kind of resembles my issue. I really hope that someone can help me resolve this because it is a really irritating issue.

TheRuss

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Just had this exact same issue. I'm at work (without WiFi) but have unlimited 4G data, so am happy to use that instead, so I unticked the "Download only via WiFi" box and got the above error. My "Stream Only Via WiFi" box was unchecked, and as soon as I checked it (on the back of the above advice) the downloads immediately started. Weird.

Collin Lively

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a new S4 and have been trying to find ways of getting my music onto it with many failed attempts - looked like it was going to be Doubletwist but then the KitKat update made that a no go as I wouldn't be able to download to SD card. I have opted for Google Play Music - I have set it to download to external sd card and I have started going through the slow process of pressing the little pin on each album so that it will download. First few worked fine but since yesterday it keeps trying to download but immediately flags up the message "Can't download music right now...Will try again later". It has been doing that for more than 24 hours now. I have tried restarting, making sure it is fully charged, unmounting and mounting the sd card, unpinning the album that it is partway through downloading in case that was the problem - no joy!

On a couple of occasions I have gone into the settings on Google Play Music to check that it is showing the external sd card as the storage location, and it has, but once or twice it has shown that external sd card as disconnected. That seems to sort itself out after a restart, but a bit weird all the same.

Please help! I am really missing my old iPhone at the moment!!

I have been having the same problem with my s5 and stumbled upon here. After nothing I rear here worked, I decided to Force Stop Google play music. Go into Applications>All>Google Play Music>Force Stop. A pop up comes up saint it may cause errors but I did it anyway. I opened up the app and resumed music. It downloaded fine.

Herrow

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Collin, that's the only thing that has worked for me after being frustrated with not being able to download my albums for days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair