Galaxy S4: I Think I'm Beginning to Despise This Phone

anejek1

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't know where to begin.

I've been having serious issues with my S4 and I barely use it beyond phone calls, NTKB texts, and checking email. It's been freezing up whenever I try to make a phone call. It will just hang on "Dialing..." and when I try to press "End" to start over, it freezes and will not return to normal unless I restart the phone. Note that it unfreezes when I receive a call, but unless I restart the phone, the cycle will begin again.

Sometimes when it goes to sleep and I push the power button to "wake it up" the screen will remain black, no matter how many times I push the power button. I end up having to remove the battery, which is highly irritating because I have a defender case and it is not at all easy to take off.

Samsung Apps will begin to randomly download updates in the background, but remain stuck at 21% which drains my battery. I'm unable to stop the download normally and have to Force Stop the entire process from the App settings menu.

Even though I barely hold 100MB worth of third party app data stored on my 16GB device (I store all of my media on my SD card) I continuously get the running low on device storage notification. The phone lags with key presses (there's ~a half a second delay), occasionally it runs so hot to the point where it actually burned (didn't leave a mark...just hurt) my thigh while in my pocket. And WiFi disconnects intermittently, regardless of the network I'm using (home, work, Starbucks, etc.)

I've factory reset, erased all of my data, and called Sprint wherein they just updated the PRL and some other mess that seemed to do absolutely nothing but waste my time. When I set up an appointment and took it into the Sprint store for an insurance exchange, the girl at the store was unbelievably rude telling me that because their store wasn't corporate owned that they couldn't process an exchange. Told me cross streets to another store, didn't bother to give directions, reschedule an appointment or anything, was completely apathetic to my issue, and then had the nerve to shrug her shoulders in a "whatever" format when she thought I wasn't looking.

I have been through the ringer with this damn phone (no pun intended) and am tempted to throw it through the Sprint Store window Discount Tire commercial style.

Soooooooo....anyone else having these custerfluck problems with this phone since Kit Kat and are there any known fixes? I'm at my wits end, here. So any tips/tricks would be most appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: I Think I'm Beginning to Despise This Phone

Welcome to Android Central, and ugh! Two things to try if you haven't already:

1. Check the battery integrity, because if it's failing, it can cause weird behavior. Try a new battery, see if it works. You can also remove your current battery, place it flat on a table, and spin it--if it spins freely, it's bulging in the middle, which means it's going bad.

2. Corrupted SD cards can also cause weird behavior. Try removing the SD card (making sure to unmount it first), then reboot and see what happens.

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I don't know where to begin.

I've been having serious issues with my S4 and I barely use it beyond phone calls, NTKB texts, and checking email. It's been freezing up whenever I try to make a phone call. It will just hang on "Dialing..." and when I try to press "End" to start over, it freezes and will not return to normal unless I restart the phone. Note that it unfreezes when I receive a call, but unless I restart the phone, the cycle will begin again.

Sometimes when it goes to sleep and I push the power button to "wake it up" the screen will remain black, no matter how many times I push the power button. I end up having to remove the battery, which is highly irritating because I have a defender case and it is not at all easy to take off.

Samsung Apps will begin to randomly download updates in the background, but remain stuck at 21% which drains my battery. I'm unable to stop the download normally and have to Force Stop the entire process from the App settings menu.

Even though I barely hold 100MB worth of third party app data stored on my 16GB device (I store all of my media on my SD card) I continuously get the running low on device storage notification. The phone lags with key presses (there's ~a half a second delay), occasionally it runs so hot to the point where it actually burned (didn't leave a mark...just hurt) my thigh while in my pocket. And WiFi disconnects intermittently, regardless of the network I'm using (home, work, Starbucks, etc.)

I've factory reset, erased all of my data, and called Sprint wherein they just updated the PRL and some other mess that seemed to do absolutely nothing but waste my time. When I set up an appointment and took it into the Sprint store for an insurance exchange, the girl at the store was unbelievably rude telling me that because their store wasn't corporate owned that they couldn't process an exchange. Told me cross streets to another store, didn't bother to give directions, reschedule an appointment or anything, was completely apathetic to my issue, and then had the nerve to shrug her shoulders in a "whatever" format when she thought I wasn't looking.

I have been through the ringer with this damn phone (no pun intended) and am tempted to throw it through the Sprint Store window Discount Tire commercial style.

Soooooooo....anyone else having these custerfluck problems with this phone since Kit Kat and are there any known fixes? I'm at my wits end, here. So any tips/tricks would be most appreciated.

Hi Anejek1!

Sounds like you have been having quite the experience with your phone. Have you checked to see if your phone is still covered under the manufacturers warranty? You normally have 1 year for malfunctions. Check with your carrier to see if you are eligible. If you have had the phone more than a year, another option would be to file an insurance claim. We are one of the insurance providers for Sprint. Do you have our coverage? If so, we welcome you to file a claim online in minutes at Welcome to Phoneclaim.com.

We understand how important a working phone can be. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks!

anejek1

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

I'm running Kit Kat 4.4.2. That's basically when all of this started. I just got the phone in December, have tried removing the battery (didn't do the spin trick to check for bulging though), and unmounted the SD card to recheck the storage issue, nothing has helped.

I'm wondering if there's maybe an app that runs in the background that wasn't updated properly or possibly the update corrupted a file which is why it's been freezing. But I wouldn't even know where to start looking for that particular app/file.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Is this the official Samsung 4.4.2 update you got? We've seen so many discussions about problems with various recent Samsung system updates to a whole bunch of their devices. It's too bad. Lots of people start off loving their device, and then the update messes things up.

anejek1

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

Yep. It's official. It downloaded automatically to my device (as per usual), and after getting sick of seeing the icon in my status bar constantly I installed it. I will forever regret that decision. :(

It's messed up because I've loved every Galaxy device I've had. I started with the Epic and then moved up to the S4 step by step. I've never seen an update as glitchy as this one. Pretty disappointed in Google and Samsung right now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Pretty disappointed in Google and Samsung right now.

I'd be disappointed, too! But I would point out that the fault usually lies with the device manufacturer and the carrier (rather than Google), because they're the ones who take the base update from Google and then modify it to be compatible with the hardware and all of the various preinstalled non-Google system apps, UI, and bloatware.

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I am thinking of getting an S 4 even though it's physically too big, (there is no pocket power Android , except Z1 compact), and I will make sure I don't downgrade to KIT KAT.

Apparently you are better staying with the Android Version the phone was designed around.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon