Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Annoying Android "Feature"

My apps are presented to me alphabetically. I have to scroll through 8 screens to get to the end (YouTube and yp). When on the apps screens, either the first or the last, why won't android allow you to scroll left to get from the first to the last (in one scroll) and/or allow you to scroll once more from the last screen to get to the first? I hate having to scroll 8 screens to get to an app I know is on the last page!

Global Posts
    17,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Annoying Android "Feature"

Quote Originally Posted by tem#AC View Post
    My apps are presented to me alphabetically. I have to scroll through 8 screens to get to the end (YouTube and yp). When on the apps screens, either the first or the last, why won't android allow you to scroll left to get from the first to the last (in one scroll) and/or allow you to scroll once more from the last screen to get to the first? I hate having to scroll 8 screens to get to an app I know is on the last page!
    There are options for this in third party launchers, like Nova.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have Nova installed and will look for that option. In case I don't find it, help please?

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Here. Under Apps and App Drawer.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    Thanked by:

When you long press the the dot/page indicator at the bottom of the app drawer. It goes to that page. No need for the finger exercise!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    Here. Under Apps and App Drawer.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/4ade7yse.jpg

Problem is you have to scroll through all the widget screens.....

Global Posts
    17,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Or you can tap on widgets tab and go back a page.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    msndrstood likes this.

In Nova, grab the blue bar on the right side and drag it. You can go from top to bottom with one slide.

Menu button >> Sort >> Custom

You can scroll from first page to last page by going left and opposite is also true.

Problem is you have to scroll through all the widget screens.....
    Actually you don't as there is a setting for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

#firstworldproblems

What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

I presume that the option Menu > Sort > Custom, and scrolling from first page to last page by going left, and the Infinite Scroll option all apply to Nova and/or Android 4.4. I sure don't see them on stock TouchWiz on 4.3. The one thing you can do with apps (not widgets) on that UI is organize them into folders, which I've done. It makes them quite easy for me to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-in-Decatur View Post
    I presume that the option Menu > Sort > Custom, and scrolling from first page to last page by going left, and the Infinite Scroll option all apply to Nova and/or Android 4.4. I sure don't see them on stock TouchWiz on 4.3. The one thing you can do with apps (not widgets) on that UI is organize them into folders, which I've done. It makes them quite easy for me to find.
    Dave, are you on VZW? I looked for this too, and it appears we are out of luck on VZW...

Posted via Android Central App on my VZW LG GPad 8.3 LTE

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by danhartman26 View Post
    Dave, are you on VZW? I looked for this too, and it appears we are out of luck on VZW...

Posted via Android Central App on my VZW LG GPad 8.3 LTE
    They are options in Nova for me.

What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by danhartman26 View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Verizon. But maybe it's Nova rather than carrier-specific this time.

As suggested above, I've thrown mine into three easy folders, and labeled them correspondingly: Customization, Tools, and Fun $h!t. As they are self explanatory, knowing where over 90 apps are within three folders is supremely easy in Nova.. Go into Nova Settings> Drawer> Drawer Groups then click on Folders.. Hit the + button and name the folder.. Then you can go into your app drawer, hit Apps in the upper left, then Configure, then select your newly named Folder from the drop down menu just to the right of the Nova Icon on top.. From there, add your apps, and repeat to your heart's content!

I just realized there are three different app drawer layouts in Nova and that affects the responses:

Three app drawer layouts in Nova: Horizontal / Vertical / List.

Each response needs to be considered in terms of the layout.. that's why there was such a variety of different responses (people use different layouts)

I'm pretty sure from responses I'm the only responder using List view. In list view everything is one big long vertical list but you can drag the blue line (on the right) and watch the letter (upper left hand side) to get wherever you want to go quickly. You can also scroll pretty darned quickly without the blue slider since it's scrolling in one long list (not swiping past individual screens which stop at each one). List view works well for me personally as an app drawer layout. I find myself doing similar excercize (scrolling through long vertical alphabetized list of Apps) in AFWall and Xprivacy so it's a quick easy familiar task. (I do have categorized shortcuts to commonly used programs in homescreen folders and in swipepad screens/folders, but there are sometimes when you want to go to App drawer). I can well understand others have different setups and preferences which suit them and this is not for everyone, but it works well for me.
    Last edited by electricpete; 04-01-2014 at 03:31 PM.