Screen NOT working at all - How can I Factory Reset the Phone

SlumberRina

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
My screen isn't working at all. The store seems to think there is a crack in it so I'm getting a new one from the insurance company. I don't want to send them my current phone without wiping everything off. All the instructions online seem to need the screen to see what you're pressing. Is there any way to hard reset the phone without using the screen?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My screen isn't working at all. The store seems to think there is a crack in it so I'm getting a new one from the insurance company. I don't want to send them my current phone without wiping everything off. All the instructions online seem to need the screen to see what you're pressing. Is there any way to hard reset the phone without using the screen?
If you have no access to the screen then you can't reset it. Have you looked into a replacement or fix?

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Op stated that a replacement was on the way. The problem is wiping the old phones data for security purposes.

Op- are you able to plug it in to a computer with any luck? If so, can you get into it with Samsung Kies (downloaded from Samsung website?)

Posted via Android Central App

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Usually you have to allow Kies to operate no display no nothing honestly I would of just went to a repair shop and have the screen replaced or being it's out of warranty doing it yourself?? Not that hard with a tool kit and a blow dryer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Damn. Was the only thing I could think of. What about a Samsung rep at a best buy somewhere near? Maybe they could help. They hooked my phone up to company software on their computer when they went to do something with mine. Other than that, I don't think there's much you can do except trust the company, as far as I know, wiping the thing is the first thing they do when they can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Well the only thing I can suggest if your getting an insurance replacement if your that paranoid drop it in a bucket of water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
No you miss understood... The data on that phone.. All I can say to do is to get a new phone grab your sim /sd card out of it and drop the old phone into a bucket of water to fry it so all of the data is permanently wiped!!! Or you can try your hand at replacing the screen yourself

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell what I would try! If you have an OTG adapter, Plug it in the new phone and plug in a USB keyboard. memorize the keystrokes needed to do a factory reset! Try this exact sequence on the old phone! Be sure to remove the SD card before returning the old phone!

Dunking in water might permanently kill the old phone but it might have some effect o your warranty!

the guided one

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
hi

If you log into Google play on the PC/ Laptop, select your device from device manager, you can factory reset your phone, I had the same issue with my phone I had issue with screen, you will hear the phone vibrate a few times once this task has been completed.

its google dot com then /android/devicemanager

Hope this helps

Thanks

Saif

Phillip Blake

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I had a broken LCD and digitiser and found a solution on another forum, so I thought I would share it just in case anyone else runs into this problem. - This also works for those who just want to factory reset their phone and don't have a broken LCD and digitiser. Anyways...

1. Take out battery or switch of your phone (Either one will work)
2. Hold the power button, volume up button and the home button simultaneously till you hear a vibration
3. When you hear the vibration ONLY let go of the POWER BUTTON immediately (Again ONLY POWER BUTTON)
4. Wait 5 seconds, then let go of the rest of the buttons immediately
5. Now push the volume down button 3 times, and press the power button
6. Then push the volume down button 7 times and press the power button
7. OK, Now wait 2 minutes (This is how long I waited), then press the power button - You will know that this has worked if your phone vibrates - If it doesn't vibrate try again, the phone will restart, you know your phone is back on when you hear that Samsung sound (The normal one it makes when you switch on your phone)
8. Now to make triple sure that your phone has been factory reset, download kies
9. When you go into kies your phone will now be in MTP mode, so it means you can use kies to also factory reset your phone (Which is great because my phone was originally in PTP mode :/)
10. In kies, click on tools and then click firmware update and initialisation, this will also factory reset your phone

You don't have to do the kies bit, but its just a precaution. You will also know that your phone has been factory reset when you connect your phone to your computer and everything in your folder has been changed to its original state.

Anyway, hope this helped

voodoorocker

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Without a doubt best response... went to device manager... selected which android device... remote erased the data... completely wiped the phone!! Awesome... You got to love how google / android work together.. Awesomeness.... Only thing I could suggest to someone,.. don't activate you new phone first because your 4G won't work and if you screen doesn't work then you may not be able to connect to Wifi.... So Google would not be able to locate your phone an force the factory reset....

:):D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz