Weird rebooting issue on Galaxy S4

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I've been having this weird issue with my S4 rebooting if I set it down on the table too hard for the past few weeks. I tried to replicate it and I discovered the sweet spot is the upper third of the back of the device. I am able to get the phone to automatically reboot if I tap that area of the phone against my hand, and it does it with both of my official Samsung battery's. I am just wondering if this problem is unique to my phone or if other people have had it too. Any ideas on what may be causing it? I've been thinking about getting a moto x lately and it's beginning to look like a better idea every day that passes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(3882976)

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Try putting a thin strip of cardstock or folded-up paper against the edge of the battery opposite of the edge that makes the electrical contact. I've seen other posts where people needed to do this.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
So I took a thin piece of cardboard from the boxes our oil filters come in at work and I put it between the battery and the phone opposite the contacts like stated. It seemed OK for a little while, but a couple hours later it rebooted again. Could it be the accelerometer having issues? As it only happens when I take the phone out of my pocket and if I pick it up or set it down on a table or my tool box.

I did go ahead and order my moto x. My brother is a college student so he entered his email to get me $60 of the price of the phone. I was offered $150 for my S4 as well, so it was not too bad a price.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Older Samsung phones (like my old SamSung Infuse) tended to develop problems with the power button that would act like that. It usually got worse and worse until device was continually rebooting. At that point, if you took the battery out and re installed it, the phone would start WITHOUT even pressing the power button. This last symptom was the sure fire way to confirm faulty power button rather than something else (phone should not start after battery pull before pressing button unless button is faulty). Solution (once confirmed) was to clean or replace power button. Search the infuse forums and you'll find lots of details. I can't say I've heard it on S4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Older Samsung phones (like my old SamSung Infuse) tended to develop problems with the power button that would act like that. It usually got worse and worse until device was continually rebooting. At that point, if you took the battery out and re installed it, the phone would start WITHOUT even pressing the power button. This last symptom was the sure fire way to confirm faulty power button rather than something else (phone should not start after battery pull before pressing button unless button is faulty). Solution (once confirmed) was to clean or replace power button. Search the infuse forums and you'll find lots of details. I can't say I've heard it on S4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I was researching some about the problem I'm having. I have actually seen many people complaining about restarting issues that ended up being the power button. But frankly I'd rather not deal with it and just take the $150 Motorola offered me toward my moto x.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21