Brand new Galaxy S4 not auto connecting to Wifi

Joedm45

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello to you all,

I hope someone can help out with this problem. My girlfriend recently got an S4 and as the title suggests it is not auto connecting to our home Wifi. Every other phone we have had auto connects as soon as you turn Wifi on when getting home.

I've searched online and have tried suggestions but it still won't connect automatically, you have to select the network from the available list and press connect. The password is saved so at least you don't have to input that all the time.

If it helps, S4 is stock, locked to EE network in the UK and running latest Android 4.4.2 update.

Thanks in advance

Joe

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello to you all,

I hope someone can help out with this problem. My girlfriend recently got an S4 and as the title suggests it is not auto connecting to our home Wifi. Every other phone we have had auto connects as soon as you turn Wifi on when getting home.

I've searched online and have tried suggestions but it still won't connect automatically, you have to select the network from the available list and press connect. The password is saved so at least you don't have to input that all the time.

If it helps, S4 is stock, locked to EE network in the UK and running latest Android 4.4.2 update.

Thanks in advance

Joe

First question. Does it connect to other networks automatically, have you tried any other than just your home?
Second. Have you had your S4 "FORGET" the wifo info and tried to choose the connection again fresh, typing in the password again?
Thrid if the above doesn't work. Forget the info again on your phone. And power cycle aka unplug your router for 5 seconds, plug it back in, wait 30
seconds and then try to connect fresh to your network again.
Still would like an answer to the first question though :)

Jamie_tnt

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Two days ago, my 8 month old s4 stopped connecting to wifi. It would just hang when I toggled it on in the quick settings. I fixed this with a battery pull, however I lost all of my passwords etc. Might be something similar.

Joedm45

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
First question. Does it connect to other networks automatically, have you tried any other than just your home?
Second. Have you had your S4 "FORGET" the wifo info and tried to choose the connection again fresh, typing in the password again?
Thrid if the above doesn't work. Forget the info again on your phone. And power cycle aka unplug your router for 5 seconds, plug it back in, wait 30
seconds and then try to connect fresh to your network again.
Still would like an answer to the first question though :)
Thanks for your response, to answer your questions:
I haven't tried other networks but will give it a go tomorrow as we'll be out & about somewhere I know the password to.
I've tried forgetting the network and re-type password with no joy. It remembers the network again but doesn't auto connect.
I've also tried the power cycle on the router with no luck either.

I appreciate it's not a major problem and more of an annoyance but there must be a solution somehow.

Thanks again

Joe

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your response, to answer your questions:
I haven't tried other networks but will give it a go tomorrow as we'll be out & about somewhere I know the password to.
I've tried forgetting the network and re-type password with no joy. It remembers the network again but doesn't auto connect.
I've also tried the power cycle on the router with no luck either.

I appreciate it's not a major problem and more of an annoyance but there must be a solution somehow.

Thanks again

Joe

Frankly I would consider it a major problem, especially if you like to reserve your data like I do, and happen to forget to manually connect to your WIFI because your phone is NOT doing as it should.
I look forward to hearing if you are successful conneciton to the other network you know the pw for. Please let me know. If THAT does the same thing as your experience at home. I would contact Samsung or whomever you got your phone from as there is an issue. If it DOES work at the other place, I would guess it's a router setting, but I have never heard of it connecting manually but not auto. So I am pushing more towards phone. Guess we shall see!

Joedm45

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Frankly I would consider it a major problem, especially if you like to reserve your data like I do, and happen to forget to manually connect to your WIFI because your phone is NOT doing as it should.
I look forward to hearing if you are successful conneciton to the other network you know the pw for. Please let me know. If THAT does the same thing as your experience at home. I would contact Samsung or whomever you got your phone from as there is an issue. If it DOES work at the other place, I would guess it's a router setting, but I have never heard of it connecting manually but not auto. So I am pushing more towards phone. Guess we shall see!

Thanks again for your help.
I've now tested on another network and the same happens, connects manually but not automatically.
I have searched online with this problem and there is nothing recent so it can't be a 4.4.2 glitch as more people would have complained about it.
I will get my girlfriend to contact the phone supplier and go through the relentless useless questions they ask before agreeing there is a fault lol!

Thanks again, you have been most helpful

Joe

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for your help.
I've now tested on another network and the same happens, connects manually but not automatically.
I have searched online with this problem and there is nothing recent so it can't be a 4.4.2 glitch as more people would have complained about it.
I will get my girlfriend to contact the phone supplier and go through the relentless useless questions they ask before agreeing there is a fault lol!

Thanks again, you have been most helpful

Joe

Joe there is one last thing. It COULD be an app you have installed. Something as simple as a virus program or something that's TOLD wifi to connect manually for security
reasons. Sometimes it's always the simple reason. I would check that one last thing.

jim bindewald

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey Joe and everyone else having problems with your Galaxy s4 not automatically connecting to wifi. I finally found the number to call samsung and get the answer 888-987-4357. All you need to do is go into your wifi settings and open it by tapping the name of it. A window will open asking you to either edit, view, or forget. Tap the forget button and then take your battery out and wait 30 seconds. Then just sign back into your wifi. It worked for me. The hardest freaking thing is getting the otter box case off. Good luck

anon(796184)

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey Joe and everyone else having problems with your Galaxy s4 not automatically connecting to wifi. I finally found the number to call samsung and get the answer 888-987-4357. All you need to do is go into your wifi settings and open it by tapping the name of it. A window will open asking you to either edit, view, or forget. Tap the forget button and then take your battery out and wait 30 seconds. Then just sign back into your wifi. It worked for me. The hardest freaking thing is getting the otter box case off. Good luck

I have similar issue but Battery pull and forget network has not worked.

It is the same on other wifi networks.

I am also on 4.4.2 with the EE network. I think this is a operating system issue.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the same with my S4 on EE. The other day it was connecting automatically for 2 days now it's gone back to me having to manually connect it.

Posted via Android Central App

Larry Bernardo

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey Joe, Have you sorted out the problem with you S4? If not try this simple technique I have a similar problem not only on wifi but also in 3G/4G. Go to setting, From Network connection tap the Wi-Fi, then the menu (it is left side of the home button) tap the advance. Then uncheck the "auto network switch" hope that this works for you.

geetali

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello to you all,

Thanks in advance

Joe

Hi
I had the same issue. It wad solved by uninstalling apps. Not sure exactly what did the trick. But I uninstalled Google Alps like songs.. videos.. books. Angry birds as well as jewel. So if you have installed this.. uninstall and the problem goes away. Hope this helps.

Norm Harding

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Oh wait, but my iPhone 4 connects just fine and has not had issues here. Add the fact that internal storage is four times that of the Galaxy S4 so I do not have to struggle with apps, as I have with the S4, wanting to install to a small internal storage....

joshtoothman

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I think there is more to it than what you are noticing..
I recently had an AT&T S4. immediately after an OTA update It wouldn't connect to WiFi, and it was odd because when I did have a Sim card in it, the service bars top right of the screen had a circle w a line through it.. when I took my sim card back out of the phone the bars reappeared.. with mine, it wasn't that it ju sd t would not connect to the wifi.. I could not even turn the WiFi on even to scan for a network..
has anyone found a resolve for this issue yet!?

Posted via the Android Central App