Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Transferred files to MicroSD Card get deleted after card is installed in the phone or restarted.

Hello,
    I'll try to make this short. I have a Galaxy S4 phone SCH-I545. It is activated through Verizon. I have rooted and flashed it to Hyperdirve RLS14.
    I recently purchased a Samsung 64GB Micro SD SDHC Memory Card Mobile Class 10 card and installed it. The phone recognized it properly.
    I then attempted to use the drive as storage for alot of .mp3 files to play on the phone. I first attempted to copy and files over to the card externally via windows explorer.
    I did so (after working on it for about two hours). I sent about 30 GIG to the phone. When inserting the card in the phone, of course the media scanner starts. After the media scanner is finished, most of my album folder names are truncated and the contents are erased. I then formatted the card using the phone, which worked fine. I then downloaded and installed Samsung Kies to transfer files to the phone. Kies showed them all as they were loading. Everything was fine, until I restarted the phone. Media scanner again ran and voila, most of my files were again deleted. I have tried this on my rooted phone and my wife's non rooted phone. Same result.
    I also did a hour long chat with a Samsung representative, which was a waste of time.
    Does anyone here know what is affecting this or why it keeps occurring?
    Thanks much.

Default Re: Transferred files to MicroSD Card get deleted after card is installed in the phone or restarted.

Quote Originally Posted by drewman521 View Post
    Hello,
    I'll try to make this short. I have a Galaxy S4 phone SCH-I545. It is activated through Verizon. I have rooted and flashed it to Hyperdirve RLS14.
    I recently purchased a Samsung 64GB Micro SD SDHC Memory Card Mobile Class 10 card and installed it. The phone recognized it properly.
    I then attempted to use the drive as storage for alot of .mp3 files to play on the phone. I first attempted to copy and files over to the card externally via windows explorer.
    I did so (after working on it for about two hours). I sent about 30 GIG to the phone. When inserting the card in the phone, of course the media scanner starts. After the media scanner is finished, most of my album folder names are truncated and the contents are erased. I then formatted the card using the phone, which worked fine. I then downloaded and installed Samsung Kies to transfer files to the phone. Kies showed them all as they were loading. Everything was fine, until I restarted the phone. Media scanner again ran and voila, most of my files were again deleted. I have tried this on my rooted phone and my wife's non rooted phone. Same result.
    I also did a hour long chat with a Samsung representative, which was a waste of time.
    Does anyone here know what is affecting this or why it keeps occurring?
    Thanks much.
    I just went through almost the same process, but on a smaller scale.

I purchased a SanDisk 32GB Micro SD SDHC Memory Card Mobile Class 10 card.
    First I copied 1GB music and 15GB movies to the card using my computer and a SD card reader.
    Then I put the card in the phone and started it up. Everything appeared on the SD after booting.
    Files were not truncated, and all seem to play correctly.

I recently did the same process with a 64GB SanDisk on my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Tablet. Also successful.

The main differences were:
    1. I transferred the files to the card before putting it in the phone. Transferring from PC to Phone should not have made a difference.
    2. My phone isn't rooted. But then; neither is your wife's phone.
    3. I know media scanner ran, but it was very quick and smooth. Really un-noticeable.
    4. My card is Fat32, yours is xFAT. That shouldn't make a difference either.

Since you have already called Samsung. Maybe it's worth the time to try transferring on your computer with a SD card reader.
    Turn the phone off before removing the card, then turn it on after re-inserting the card.
    Don't forget to format the card with xFat. If you use Fat32 it will only format to 32GB.

Default Re: Transferred files to MicroSD Card get deleted after card is installed in the phone or restarted.

Android 4.4 kitkat updated is the cause. Limits the sd card.

So ...is there a fix for this ? I am copying about 50gb of mp3's to galaxy s4 and they disappear !