Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By backfat1982
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default IPhone5 to S4 video question.

Hello, I was hoping to get some help with an issue I'm having receiving video messages. My wife has a IPhone5, when she sends me videos she's recorded the quality of the video is terrible. I have a couple worker that's having the same issue. Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: IPhone5 to S4 video question.

Well,you're gonna have to provide a few more details. How are you receiving the video file? If via MMS, that's probably why you're seeing the reduction in quality as MMS doesn't support high-quality video and instead, compresses it to send a MUCH smaller file. If you're using direct file sharing like Bluetooth or apps like PushBullet, the video should be without quality loss (unless, of course, the original video IS of low quality). When using IM apps like Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp, the level of compression when sending videos usually depends on the app, but you can expect it to be compressed.

The thing with iPhones is that, when sending messages between iPhones, they use iMessage, so whatever they send is usually not so compressed (as if you were using, for instance, Whatsapp). But when sending to another phone, it switches to SMS/MMS but doesn't tell the user that, so for them, they're just sending the message 'as they always have done', but you're not receiving it properly.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the quick response. The videos im receiving are mms messages. Is there a setting you know of on either phone that would allow the videos to be sent w/o compression? Or would one the suggested apps need to be used to view them with original quality?

If you want to receive videos without compression you need to use a different method. MMS is just not meant for such large files (Just like SMS are limited to a certain number of characters per message, the same happens with MMS; the file size of each message is capped and this is a standard, it cannot be changed on either phone). One option is e-mail, but you can always use IM services like Whatsapp, Viber, Line, Facebook Messenger, Skype, etc. (but both phones would need to have the app installed).

Another fancy option is to have your wife share the video on a Cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive, or even iCloud and share the link (although I'm not so sure you can share files in iCloud). That way you have access to the original file, just on a Cloud location.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Spook,

Thanks for the help. Very informative.

SpookDroid likes this.