Not receiving texts from Iphones

tskillz187

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I would be extremely appreciative if anyone can solve this problem for me. I switched from Iphone4s to Samsung Galaxy, cancelled with Verizon and moved to Wal-Mart Straight Talk.

When I switched, I was unaware that I needed to unregister my phone from apple. So I wasn't getting messages from iphone users because it auto sent them as imessages. I have since removed my phone from their plan. I have called apple care, they say it shouldn't still happen but it is, and they have no solution. I deleted my phone from apple 6 weeks ago (they said it might take a week or two to receive messages again) and now they are saying they don't know how to fix it.

Has anyone gone through something similar? The last suggestion was to tell my contacts to delete my contact info and re plug it in. That didn't work, it still sends as imessages. I have been using google hangouts with my main group of friends, but it greatly drains their iphone's battery. Also, 80% or so of my contacts have iphones and I haven't been able to contact them all to tell them I'm not receiving their texts so I imagine a slew of people think I'm being a jerk by ignoring their texts.

If someone knows how to figure this out I'd be soooooo appreciative.

Thanks!

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently dealing with this same situation with my younger brother. I convinced him to switch from an iPhone 4 to a moto X. Now he is not receiving text from other iPhone users. I know this is a fairly common issue. The thing is, I did everything that you are suppose to do before making the switch. He called Apple and asked that his phone number be removed from their servers and they said "sure, for a one time fee of $150."!!!!

I did a lot of Googling and here are a couple of things that have worked for others (still haven't worked for us yet)

1) If you still have access to your iphone definitely turn off imessage.

2) Change your Apple id password and do NOT log back in on your iPhone

3) text " STOP " to 48369 from your current device. You will receive a confirmation text from apple that your number has been removed.

Most people report that the above steps work within 12-24hrs. We are still waiting.

I can't believe there hasn't been a class action lawsuit filed against apple over this.

Good luck.

*Edit*--- I forgot to mention AC recently did an article on this issue. I didn't find it particularly informative or useful but you might read it over anyhow.
http://www.androidcentral.com/issues-texts-after-moving-android-iphone-here-s-easy-fix

I play with my food

tskillz187

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful reply. Unfortunately I can't do steps 1 or 2. I did #3. Here's hoping to some success. I'm all for a lawsuit, haha!

Edit: That article is the one I read initially, I can't believe it's not more well-publicized about the imessage thing. It's a pretty huge deal imo.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful reply. Unfortunately I can't do steps 1 or 2. I did #3. Here's hoping to some success. I'm all for a lawsuit, haha!

You are very welcome, I hope it works out for you. FYI, you can change your Apple ID password online at: appleid.apple.com
Click on "manage your apple id" and follow the steps.

I play with my food

tskillz187

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Also wondering if the fact that I (my wife actually) unlocked my Galaxy s4 to be able to use it on Wal-Mart Straight Talk. I don't know if that's a reason the normal steps aren't working. I don't even know how to reset that if it is the problem. I'll do the apple id thing now too.

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
1. make sure that you have turned off iMessage on your old iPhone.
2. delete your old phone number and delete/unregister all old iPhone(s) from your Apple ID web profile at supportprofile.apple.com.

tskillz187

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I still have my old iphone, but I can't access it. I dropped it in alcohol and it turns on, but the touch screen does not work. So I can't slide to unlock the thing. I've done step 2.

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
As long as you have done step 2 , you should be good to go. Please wait up to 48 hours from now and then have someone test by sending you a message

Kazakaz

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I never had an issue when switching, but I've had friends who couldn't get anything to work. Changing their Apple ID password ended up breaking the iMessage connection, and they started getting messages from iPhone users.