S4 Android 4.3 - Handcent SMS app in error loop - I can't use phone

Christopher Houston

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Suddenly got an error message in Handcent SMS (wasn't even using the app) saying that "Unfortunately Handcent SMS has stopped working." There are the Report and OK buttons, but clicking either one does nothing. If I force a shutdown and restart, the error message reappears after about 15 seconds.

With the error message on display, I can't dismiss the window or use another app. The window sits on top of everything.

Basically I can't even use my phone.

I connected the phone to my Mac and opened Android File Transfer and deleted the Handcent SMS folder, but the error message still appears on the S4 after reboot.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

CORRECTION: I'm using Android 4.4.2 on my S4.

Last edited:

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Suddenly got an error message in Handcent SMS (wasn't even using the app) saying that "Unfortunately Handcent SMS has stopped working." There are the Report and OK buttons, but clicking either one does nothing. If I force a shutdown and restart, the error message reappears after about 15 seconds.

With the error message on display, I can't dismiss the window or use another app. The window sits on top of everything.

Basically I can't even use my phone.

I connected the phone to my Mac and opened Android File Transfer and deleted the Handcent SMS folder, but the error message still appears on the S4 after reboot.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

CORRECTION: I'm using Android 4.4.2 on my S4.

I know the error keeps popping up, but very quickly in between you closing the error and it reappearing can you navigate? I know it could take some time, but, it may be the only way to
correct this without factory reset. So if you CAN do what I asked above here is what you want to do to hopefully correct this.

SETTINGS > MORE TAB > APPLICATION MANAGER > MENU BUTTON and then tap on "RESET APP PREFERENCES"

Hope that helps.

ozzyio

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi I kept getting this but with a different app & couldn't do anything because of the pop up. I solved it by doing a soft reset. With your fone on take out the battery leave 4 about a minute then put it back in & turn on. Fixed it 4 me

Christopher Houston

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
MANY THANKS to both of you.

In the end it was a combo of your 2 suggestions. First, I removed the battery while the phone was still on, then let it sit for several minutes.
When I rebooted the phone, I saw that I had more time before the Handcent error message window popped up and "froze" the phone. The first time I wasn't fast enough to do anything, but the second time I was able to navigate quickly to Application Manager, where I selected Handcent and then Uninstall. And it worked!

Handcent now uninstalled and the phone seems to be working fine.

Thanks again guys. You're lifesavers.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
MANY THANKS to both of you.

In the end it was a combo of your 2 suggestions. First, I removed the battery while the phone was still on, then let it sit for several minutes.
When I rebooted the phone, I saw that I had more time before the Handcent error message window popped up and "froze" the phone. The first time I wasn't fast enough to do anything, but the second time I was able to navigate quickly to Application Manager, where I selected Handcent and then Uninstall. And it worked!

Handcent now uninstalled and the phone seems to be working fine.

Thanks again guys. You're lifesavers.

Great to hear Christopher! Hope you stick around the forums!
Cheers!