Galaxy S4 draining battery even when phone is off

Lexicon7

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what is going on with my phone. I had my galaxy s4 for about a year and it was working fine. I noticed the battery was draining faster than usual, so I brought a new one (not stock). The new one was charged up to 100 percent, I left it in the phone overnight and turned it off. I turned it back on the next morning the battery was at 38 percent. I sent that one back. I brought two new batteries, different brand again. One of the batteries did the same thing as the last one. Tonight I'm trying the next battery in my phone overnight, phone off again. I went to Radioshack and they don't have the stock battery, the guy said it could be the phone or the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: S4 draining battery even when phone is off.

Is the phone under warranty? If so get a replacement. This sounds like too much BS to put up with on a daily basis and is NOT normal. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't know what is going on with my phone. I had my galaxy s4 for about a year and it was working fine. I noticed the battery was draining faster than usual, so I brought a new one (not stock). The new one was charged up to 100 percent, I left it in the phone overnight and turned it off. I turned it back on the next morning the battery was at 38 percent. I sent that one back. I brought two new batteries, different brand again. One of the batteries did the same thing as the last one. Tonight I'm trying the next battery in my phone overnight, phone off again. I went to Radioshack and they don't have the stock battery, the guy said it could be the phone or the battery.

Welcome to Android Central :)
Sounds like it's the phone, seeing as the new batteries didn't fix the issue. Could you post screenshots of your battery stats?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Lexicon7

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

I have insurance on it so if this battery doesn't work out tonight I'm axing it and calling my phone company.

Lexicon7

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

I've done everything I could think of from turning off useless apps and the usual.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Not seeing anything too unusual that could cause battery drain. Cell signal isn't great but doesn't explain such a big drain overnight. Fully charge up your phone and download GSam battery monitor, then use your phone normally and post your stats again tomorrow to see if the drain is still there.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

That is my battery on gsam.

That's the native battery stats report, not GSam. That screenshot doesn't show asuch info as GSam would, which is why I asked for it.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
ypy7yve6.jpg
Here's mine for info. Percentages not much different than yours. Both your screen and your apps uses a lot in short time. Screen particularly. Do you have it on auto?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Nope it's always at 30 percent or less. Could a corrupt sd card be doing this?

I doubt it. I'm not seeing anything inherently wrong with your usage, but you're not getting very good screen on time. I think the poor signal has a lot to do with it.

Lexicon7

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I see what you mean. This is annoying, I have Verizon. They are suppose to be good with signal. I guess I'll just deal with this phone. The insurance I have will just take this one and give me a refurbished one, I don't know if I want to run the risk of getting a crappier phone than what I have.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I see what you mean. This is annoying, I have Verizon. They are suppose to be good with signal. I guess I'll just deal with this phone. The insurance I have will just take this one and give me a refurbished one, I don't know if I want to run the risk of getting a crappier phone than what I have.

I also noticed that you have SmartStay on. If you're not using that, turn it off as well as any other "Smart" or "Air" gestures you don't need. Do you have GPS on?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No, the gps is off. That's really odd because in my notification bar smart stay is off, maybe I need to turn it off manually.

There are several "Smart" features so you might want to make sure they're all off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC