Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 draining battery even when phone is off

I don't know what is going on with my phone. I had my galaxy s4 for about a year and it was working fine. I noticed the battery was draining faster than usual, so I brought a new one (not stock). The new one was charged up to 100 percent, I left it in the phone overnight and turned it off. I turned it back on the next morning the battery was at 38 percent. I sent that one back. I brought two new batteries, different brand again. One of the batteries did the same thing as the last one. Tonight I'm trying the next battery in my phone overnight, phone off again. I went to Radioshack and they don't have the stock battery, the guy said it could be the phone or the battery.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-16-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Global Posts
    665 Global Posts

Default Re: S4 draining battery even when phone is off.

Is the phone under warranty? If so get a replacement. This sounds like too much BS to put up with on a daily basis and is NOT normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    ~~ You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

Global Posts
    8,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon7 View Post
    I don't know what is going on with my phone. I had my galaxy s4 for about a year and it was working fine. I noticed the battery was draining faster than usual, so I brought a new one (not stock). The new one was charged up to 100 percent, I left it in the phone overnight and turned it off. I turned it back on the next morning the battery was at 38 percent. I sent that one back. I brought two new batteries, different brand again. One of the batteries did the same thing as the last one. Tonight I'm trying the next battery in my phone overnight, phone off again. I went to Radioshack and they don't have the stock battery, the guy said it could be the phone or the battery.
    Welcome to Android Central
    Sounds like it's the phone, seeing as the new batteries didn't fix the issue. Could you post screenshots of your battery stats?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have insurance on it so if this battery doesn't work out tonight I'm axing it and calling my phone company.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Galaxy S4 draining battery even when phone is off-screenshot_2014-04-15-22-09-14.jpg
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've done everything I could think of from turning off useless apps and the usual.

Global Posts
    8,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-15-22-09-14.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	112803
    Not seeing anything too unusual that could cause battery drain. Cell signal isn't great but doesn't explain such a big drain overnight. Fully charge up your phone and download GSam battery monitor, then use your phone normally and post your stats again tomorrow to see if the drain is still there.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:

+1 gsam

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

That is my battery on gsam.

Global Posts
    8,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

That is my battery on gsam.
    That's the native battery stats report, not GSam. That screenshot doesn't show asuch info as GSam would, which is why I asked for it.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Galaxy S4 draining battery even when phone is off-screenshot_2014-04-16-17-29-24.jpg

Oh, okay. I didn't understand what you asking for hahaha, sorry.

Global Posts
    8,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-16-17-29-24.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	112923

Oh, okay. I didn't understand what you asking for hahaha, sorry.
    Click the button on the far left of that screen. Looks sort of like a vacuum cleaner. That'll show what apps are using your battery, and then post it again here

Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Galaxy S4 draining battery even when phone is off-screenshot_2014-04-16-22-35-27.jpg

Default Re: Galaxy S4 draining battery even when phone is off

Here's mine for info. Percentages not much different than yours. Both your screen and your apps uses a lot in short time. Screen particularly. Do you have it on auto?

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Nope it's always at 30 percent or less. Could a corrupt sd card be doing this?

Global Posts
    8,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Nope it's always at 30 percent or less. Could a corrupt sd card be doing this?
    I doubt it. I'm not seeing anything inherently wrong with your usage, but you're not getting very good screen on time. I think the poor signal has a lot to do with it.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I see what you mean. This is annoying, I have Verizon. They are suppose to be good with signal. I guess I'll just deal with this phone. The insurance I have will just take this one and give me a refurbished one, I don't know if I want to run the risk of getting a crappier phone than what I have.

Global Posts
    8,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I see what you mean. This is annoying, I have Verizon. They are suppose to be good with signal. I guess I'll just deal with this phone. The insurance I have will just take this one and give me a refurbished one, I don't know if I want to run the risk of getting a crappier phone than what I have.
    I also noticed that you have SmartStay on. If you're not using that, turn it off as well as any other "Smart" or "Air" gestures you don't need. Do you have GPS on?

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

No, the gps is off. That's really odd because in my notification bar smart stay is off, maybe I need to turn it off manually.

Global Posts
    8,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

No, the gps is off. That's really odd because in my notification bar smart stay is off, maybe I need to turn it off manually.
    There are several "Smart" features so you might want to make sure they're all off.