Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default New here. Frustrated after update. Won't stay connected to network.

Hi there,
    I bought my Galaxy S4 around 5 months ago. It was working perfectly fine until a few days ago when I did the update to version 4.4.2. Now, it won't stay connected to my mobile network (Bell). It drops it randomly, several times a day.

I went to settings...connections...more networks...mobile networks. "Mobile date" is turned on. "Date roaming" is off. "Access Point Names" says, Browser pda.bell.ca. When it's connected to the network, "Network mode" says LTE/WDDMA/GMS. When it's not connected, none of the four options in "Network mode" are checked off. I can click on one but it won't save my selection. "Network operations" does nothing but show "searching" forever.

If I try to make a call when there is no connection, it says "dialing" forever and won't allow me to end the call. I have to restart my phone. I've had some text messages fail to go through even when the bars show that I'm connected.

The only way I can connect back onto the network is to restart my phone.

This morning, I contacted Samsung and they recommended a factory reset, which I did. I lost some important data about my pregnancy because I didn't think to back it up, and I still have the same problem! I'm so frustrated!!!

Can someone help me??? Is there some setting that got changed with the update? I'm not a tech savvy person.

I'm thinking about taking it to a Bell Store to ask for help but I'm having anxiety about how much they are going to charge me to fix it. I really hope Samsung covers the cost. I did nothing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. My model number is SGH-1337M

Global Posts
    31,351 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: New here. Frustrated after update. Won't stay connected to network.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraetco View Post
    Hi there,
    I bought my Galaxy S4 around 5 months ago. It was working perfectly fine until a few days ago when I did the update to version 4.4.2. Now, it won't stay connected to my mobile network (Bell). It drops it randomly, several times a day.

I went to settings...connections...more networks...mobile networks. "Mobile date" is turned on. "Date roaming" is off. "Access Point Names" says, Browser pda.bell.ca. When it's connected to the network, "Network mode" says LTE/WDDMA/GMS. When it's not connected, none of the four options in "Network mode" are checked off. I can click on one but it won't save my selection. "Network operations" does nothing but show "searching" forever.

If I try to make a call when there is no connection, it says "dialing" forever and won't allow me to end the call. I have to restart my phone. I've had some text messages fail to go through even when the bars show that I'm connected.

The only way I can connect back onto the network is to restart my phone.

This morning, I contacted Samsung and they recommended a factory reset, which I did. I lost some important data about my pregnancy because I didn't think to back it up, and I still have the same problem! I'm so frustrated!!!

Can someone help me??? Is there some setting that got changed with the update? I'm not a tech savvy person.

I'm thinking about taking it to a Bell Store to ask for help but I'm having anxiety about how much they are going to charge me to fix it. I really hope Samsung covers the cost. I did nothing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. My model number is SGH-1337M
    Welcome to the forums.
    I would try clearing cache in recovery. This is not like a factory reset. This should work for the S4: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    Follow instructions for the S3.

hey dude. im on Rogers and my phone is doing this as well.

are you using any battery saving applications like juice- defender? i disabled juice defender and today was the first day my phone actually worked fine. no restarts to establish data again thankfully. i contacted Rogers and they gave me two options:
    -send my phone in for repairs (lame, because thats gonna take forever)
    -i receive a refurbished phone for 35$ because im still under manufacture warranty
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Thanks. I'll try the factory reset.
    No, I don't have any battery saving apps.

Thanks
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I tried it but it didn't do anything when I selected "wipe cache partition". I then went up to "reboot system now" and again, nothing. I wonder if it worked though because my phone can now find Network Operators. It couldn't before!
    We shall see what happens today.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Ok...so I got the cache wipe to actually work...no difference. Then, I went to a Bell store where they gave me a new SIM card (lost all my contacts). It still doesn't work. Any other ideas. I'm so sick of this.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraetco View Post
    Ok...so I got the cache wipe to actually work...no difference. Then, I went to a Bell store where they gave me a new SIM card (lost all my contacts). It still doesn't work. Any other ideas. I'm so sick of this.
    I am having the same problem with my Sprint s4.
    I will update if(when) I find a fix.
    Please do the same.

Same problem with my AT&T S4 32Gb. I have wiped cache/reset it to no avail and "support's" only option was a refurbished phone...to fix a software update...uh huh...funny that the phone goes out of warranty in a week...not

I have been having a similar issue!
    My phone will connect to the wifi here at work and will send text messages just fine, then a few hours later, it screws up, disconnects & refuses to send anything! Every time this happens, I have to restart my phone every single day after work, JUST for it to work properly! I will even be on my way home or even at home (without restarting my phone) and my phone STILL will NOT work unless it's restarted! It's aggravatingly frustrating! Everyone with the Samsun s4 seems to have the similar problem, from Verizon AND AT&T. The carriers need to FIX the dang problem! I love this phone, but this main problem is making me want to smash it into tiny pieces! I am dreading the idea of going back to the iPhone just because this Samsung cannot keep its **** together! No resets/no clean caches/no new sim cards/no reboots seem to do anything! Ugh.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

To all who reads this.... don't update to 4.4.2.... stay at 4.3.... everything works fine.....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

So clearly this is a problem with 4.4.2... I just bought an S4, and it was working ok until I let the auto updates happen. Of course I dd not read online first about all of these issues.

Here is my question... how do I go back to 4.3? Doing a factory reset did not work.

My symptom is that the phone will not hold a signal. It was fine when I got it, but of course I promptly updated all of the software.

Thanks,
    R

I have the same exact problem. Did anyone find a solution other than factory reset. Factory reset should have taken u to the original version by the way.
    i wish there was an easier way to rollback an update.
    I dont have the time to backup and restore a year's worth of usage, plus i do not trust this phone after this major issue.
    Samsung is very dissapointing once again. They should have be following these forums and give solutions.

I did a factory reset, which indeed does not take you back to the previous version.
    It fixed the problem for 2-3 days and now it started again.
    Keeps loosing the mobile network settings and cannot be set manually unless i restart the device.
    If i try to make a call it freezes and the application cannot do force stop even if i clear the memory.
    I have exhausted all possibilities. Pls help.

Now i also get random restarts and defenitily battery drain very fast.
    I am desperate jn going back to Jelly Bean 4.3. Anyone figured that and how?

I contacted my service provider CYTA and they could not assist me with the issue. They said that everybody else works fine.
    i then changed service provider and the first few days still had the problem until it was resolved out of nowhere.
    then about a month later the problem appeared again and it is getting a lot worst.
    now even after restart it would not always fix the issue.
    i might just end up throwing the phone out of the window.