What's wrong with my SGS4 + where to get replacement parts?

johnny mealone

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! So about a week or two ago I dropped both my sgs4 and my iphone 5. Ahhhhh just my luck. My galaxy only shattered at the top left hand side but the rest of the screen is in pretty good shape.

But the big issue is that it's stuck on black screen. It powers on and I hear the sounds just fine. The buttons light up and even the led flashes. It still vibrates. I even tried calling myself and though I didn't hear it ring (last time it was on I had it on silent so I'm guessing it stayed on silent?) I was able to click the home button and answer the call and could hear myself. So I'm guessing everything is still functioning properly only that the screen won't come on at all. Not in the slightest bit.

So my questions are: what's wrong with it? Is the digitizer broken or is it something else? What parts should I purchase?

I'm going to attempt to fix it myself (though I have no experience in fixing phones a girls got to start somewhere right?)... Plus it kind of looks like a good way to start learning lol.

Could anyone also recommend a good reliable place to buy parts for the phone from? I live in Canada if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
This article is written about the S3, but from what I understand the S4 is very very similar.

Android Coliseum: Phone Disaster 4b - Fixing a Galaxy S3

Its a pretty good site for us Canadian Android fans. (Nice to see a fellow Canadian on here!)

I would say you would be best off ordering a digitizer and screen (as one piece). You can order them separately but from what I understand it's much easier just to order them already put together. Just double and triple check that you order parts for a North American version of the S4, and you should be OK. Apparently the European/Asian version is slightly different and not compatible. Do a bit of research on what you'll need to get going, but some screen/digitizer sets also come with a screwdriver and other tools you'll need to get the job done.

Welcome to Android Central - good luck!

johnny mealone

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! Thank you both, you were both very helpful. I've order the digitizer and screen as a whole as you advised dancing-base. It should be here soon. Hopefully I don't screw it up. lol wish me luck! *fingers crossed*

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! Thank you both, you were both very helpful. I've order the digitizer and screen as a whole as you advised dancing-base. It should be here soon. Hopefully I don't screw it up. lol wish me luck! *fingers crossed*

Let us know how it goes. I haven't taken apart a phone but I've taken apart lots of other stuff (cars, electronics, cars). Estimate how long you'll think it will take, and triple it... Just to be safe! Give yourself lots if time just in case you get frustrated or need to research a step.

Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles