Restart - How Often?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I restart my phone after every update. Like after i updated to kit kat i restarted my phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
You didn't have a choice. The phone reboots automatically during an update like that.

I no but when I updated to 4.3 jellybean I restarted my phone & then it said the update was complete. Didn't say it before I restarted.

k1fox

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
turning off/on and restarting is different when it comes to phones. So I just meant actually pressing restart voluntarily and not turning off.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I used to reboot daily with my old phone because it tended to slow.

With my s4 I don't see any need to reboot on regular basis...it just keeps running fine without it.

It comes down to you and your phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I used to reboot daily with my old phone because it tended to slow.

With my s4 I don't see any need to reboot on regular basis...it just keeps running fine without it.

It comes down to you and your phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Exactly it's not really a questions that is answerable you reboot when you need to

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I was always told to "reboot frequently because it keeps your RAM from filling up". I have found "frequently" to be a wide range. Plus we have the ability to clear the RAM when it starts to impact performance.

With my phone on stock 4.3 I could go weeks without needing a reboot (ie: I would reboot when things get laggy and a RAM clear doesn't fix it).
On stock 4.4.2 I had to reboot daily because my widgets would stop working constantly and lag was everywhere.
On 4.4.2 rooted n' tuned I can go weeks again without needing a reboot due to sluggish behavior.
It all depends on your specific phone. When you've exhausted all of your options to speed things up, it's time for a reboot.

I have found the app "Memory Booster" greatly helps my performance, allowing me to go even longer without a reboot.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I only tend to do it when my phone says "Ok damn it, thats enough..." pretty much when it starts to freeze and lag so much that I can't do anything non-painfully. That can sometimes be a few days to a few weeks, depending on my usage. I have a program called DU Battery that optimizes once in a while to keep things like that from happening, but we all know technology. :)

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I rotate batteries so I restart just about every day when my battery dies and I change them. Seems to help.

84guy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I restart my s4 a couple times a week. And about every 2 weeks I do a battery pull and leave the battery out for about a minute. I might just have kept this habit from my older android phones and it is probably not needed but eh lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MaccaBird

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I restart every time nova freezes up. Probably once every three or four days

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

MWD1957

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I use Task Killer as a widget on my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active daily. This kills all the usage RAM is taking up. I reboot device about once a week just for the grins and giggles.