Galaxy S4 CPU Performance Throttled on 4.4.2

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone run a benchmark test before the KitKat update? How about after? If you ran a benchmark test on 4.3, you'll likely recall speedier results because Samsung has "throttled" their CPU's with the 4.4.2 update, not allowing the S4's CPU to work as efficiently and utilize the full CPU's 1.9 GHz potential. Run an AnTuTu benchmark and compare it to the old school benchmark speeds the S4 used to produce. So, 4.4.2 limited micro sd usage and throttled our CPU's. Remind me again why the KitKat update is so awesome???

Testing Shows Samsung Has Disabled Its Benchmark-Boosting Tomfoolery In Android 4.4 Updates To S4 And Note 3

Last edited:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone run a benchmark test before the KitKat update? How about after? If you ran a benchmark test on 4.3, you'll likely recall speedier results because Samsung has "throttled" their CPU's with the 4.4.2 update, not allowing the S4's CPU to work as efficiently and utilize the full CPU's 1.9 GHz potential. Run an AnTuTu benchmark and compare it to the old school benchmark speeds the S4 used to produce. So, 4.4.2 limited micro sd usage and throttled our CPU's. Remind me again why the KitKat update is so awesome???

Testing Shows Samsung Has Disabled Its Benchmark-Boosting Tomfoolery In Android 4.4 Updates To S4 And Note 3

well, thanks for the tip I am going to try it out right away. :)

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Because benchmark boosting didn't serve any purpose.

They just used maximum output from hardware whenever it detects benchmarks but never reached those levels of performance when running apps or playing games.
Basically its CHEATING just to get top scores in benchmarks.

I am glad that Samsung stopped doing it.

SD-card is not at all "limited" in 4.4.x update in terms of "end user's functionality" .The SD-card features were refined to offer more security and better clean up.
"Rogue/***** coded" apps cannot store things in whichever place they want , So when you un-install an app , the app doesn't leave any unwanted cache or traces afterwards.
As far as I know , each app has an assigned folder in which they can store things but cannot store in multiple folders.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Because benchmark boosting didn't serve any purpose.

They just used maximum output from hardware whenever it detects benchmarks but never reached those levels of performance when running apps or playing games.
Basically its CHEATING just to get top scores in benchmarks.

I am glad that Samsung stopped doing it.

SD-card is not at all "limited" in 4.4.x update in terms of "end user's functionality" .The SD-card features were refined to offer more security and better clean up.
"Rogue/***** coded" apps cannot store things in whichever place they want , So when you un-install an app , the app doesn't leave any unwanted cache or traces afterwards.
As far as I know , each app has an assigned folder in which they can store things but cannot store in multiple folders.

The throttled CPU has affected people's ability to seamlessly do gaming whereas FPS have dropped and gaming quality has suffered. And the micro SD has been limited as plenty of people have testified to having to download a file manager and take the "long route" to store items to the SD.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The throttled CPU has affected people's ability to seamlessly do gaming whereas FPS have dropped and gaming quality has suffered. And the micro SD has been limited as plenty of people have testified to having to download a file manager and take the "long route" to store items to the SD.

(edited)
Yeah , Its a loss of choice from consumer point of view which is sad.

Well , I play only small/medium games like Ski Safari , Clash of Clans , Hay Day , Rayman Fiesta , Stick Cricket , Manuganu , Cut the Rope 2 , Riptide 2 , Haven't noticed any performance degradation so far.

Actually in my case , I experienced awesome battery life , same/better performance ( and actually improved performance in some places) and also much better stability.

Mine is Exynos version and your seem to be Qualcomm variant , So I can't comment really.

edit 2 :
What's your device antutu score/benchmark scores ?

Last edited:

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 (Exynos Octa) 32GB has done the opposite. Benchmarks are better, and realworld performance is excellent.

On 4.2.2 JB:
eXyEXwz.jpg

On 4.3 JB:
Y2pWzNa.jpg

On 4.4.2:
8hLxnNV.jpg

Last edited:

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
(edited)
Yeah , Its a loss of choice from consumer point of view which is sad.

Well , I play only small/medium games like Ski Safari , Clash of Clans , Hay Day , Rayman Fiesta , Stick Cricket , Manuganu , Cut the Rope 2 , Riptide 2 , Haven't noticed any performance degradation so far.

Actually in my case , I experienced awesome battery life , same/better performance ( and actually improved performance in some places) and also much better stability.

Mine is Exynos version and your seem to be Qualcomm variant , So I can't comment really.

edit 2 :
What's your device antutu score/benchmark scores ?

22,693 AnTuTu - 4,000 points lower than Android 4.3.

Posted via Android Central App

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
See the difference?

Attachments

• 1399220707602.jpg
    1399220707602.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 14

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I experienced the same thing with my att G Flex. My AnTuTu score went down 4000 points. I went from having an antutu 37000 score on JB 4.2.2 to 33000 on KK 4.4.2. I dont think this is a Samsung issue but a Kitkat 4.4.2 issue. The Kitkat update has screwed with the Dalvik & Bionic files. Dalvik has java support which the benchmark test for. By altering or deleting files the benchmark scores go down.

A lot of folks are not happy with the 4.4.2 upgrade.. And more folks are not happy knowing that there is no non root way to turn these type of updates off.

*This is a partial fix. It will restore a lot of points and restore performance, but root is required. There are other files that need to be placed back in 4.4.2 to get the full 4000 points back.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2592150

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85