Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sanjay Chandra
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does battery saving apps really work?

As said in the title... Does it really work? Apps like DU Battery Saver, JuiceDefender and Battery Doctor. Or it just drains more battery?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Phone:
    Nokia 5610, Blackberry 9780, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505) - Sandisk Ultra 32GB

Tablet:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (T700) - Sandisk Extreme PLUS 32GB

Default Re: Does battery saving apps really work?

large screen phones I don't think so.that application might work in low quality phones but not the large screen phones

Sent from my GT-N7100 using AC Forums mobile app
    Dont' Forget to press Thank you button and like button when you get an answer

I once tried JuiceDefender in 2011 on my Galaxy S2 at the time, didn't see a difference TBH, never tried again.

Some advice:
    Go to Power Save Mode, Enable it, and tick Screen Power Saving, that's what I've done.

You can also turn on CPU Power Saving, all this put together with the app Greenify is an excellent power saving technique.
    Samsung GALAXY S 4 32GB Exynos Octa Black Mist
    Samsung GALAXY S II 16GB Ceramic White
    Apple iPad4 WiFi+3G/LTE 16GB
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

I don't see any improvements with this kind of apps, by the contrary drained more battery in my case. Having a closer look to the apps that use the location settings improved a lot my battery life.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I recently switched from Juicedefender to Greenpower premium, its doing much better at reducing my battery usage.

I'm at 83% right now with 7 hours on the battery. It may help though that I put in a new battery I bought.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

I don't like them. They didn't help me at all when I tried them a long time ago.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Best power saving technique is to use the power saving mode given by Samsung/OEMs because it works both on hardware and software level rather than normal apps which just control brightness and stuff which doesn't help in better battery in any way.

If you really want better battery life, don't constantly off and on location services. Keep it either on or off.

If you travel, put off location services because it constantly tries to watch the wifi hotspots and networks and try to report location to google which might use up battery life a lot.

Poor signal coupled with your phone trying to load stuff is the number one reason which causes battery drain most of the time.

Don't clear RAM because resuming apps on RAM is much better battery saver than restarting the apps again and again.

I never use any anti virus apps or battery savers or cache cleaners (which half of the time mess up things than fix them).

Don't clear cache unless you are out of storage or didn't clear it for a month.

Half the time, people make battery life worse by cleaning cache or clearing RAM which puts more pressure on the processor to reloading things.

Let the system do its work. Android automatically does everything for you. OEMs provide power saving mode optimized for that hardware.

P.S I once installed RAM usage meter on my iPad and I was shocked to see that system constantly takes up 80-90% of the RAM all the time.
    I didn't even notice it until I installed the app. Android and iOS automatically manage your RAM.
    Free RAM = waste RAM. No use of having 500MB free RAM because its useless without using it.

Linux and mobile OS works different from Windows PC. So, free RAM in windows is different from free RAM in Linux. (google search it)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Sanjay Chandra; 05-05-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    trucky likes this.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Really nice explanation, I agree with this way of using the phone.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Battery Guru has seemed to slightly improve my battery life. But I can already tell that my battery is starting to lose its life from time and charging cycles.

Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world.

The apps claiming to save battery are not all the same, I agree with Sanjay that clearing RAM isn't going to help much. Maybe if you have a poorly behaving app but those are best off being removed.

The only battery saving app method I think helps is where the app keeps your wifi, mobile data (and bluetooth if you can) off when the phone is on standby, and turns it on only on a scheduled basis and when you turn the screen on. I set mine to every hour. You still get calls and SMS messages. It's just not good if you have a background app you need running all the time, like voice over IP, but you may be ok with setting a more frequent rate like every 5 minutes, but with less battery savings. Me and a friend had seen about 20% more battery life doing this. If your phone is not in standby much then I'd expect much less benefit. It also addressed periodic severe battery drain when I was inside buildings with a very weak signal and the phone actually got hot as it kept trying to connect.

I haven't tried the built in power savings and have great battery life for now. I already have haptic off. I don't know about the screen power savings, my concern has been more about the excessive drain on standby. The CPU power savings would probably help but I don't like the idea of buying a high end phone and crippling the processor. Maybe if it only slows it down while in standby? I don't get that impression though.

How much phone usage are you getting ?

Short answer no. You know what does work? Plugging your phone in ...

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    Battery Guru has seemed to slightly improve my battery life. But I can already tell that my battery is starting to lose its life from time and charging cycles.

I agree. I use Battery Guru because it was designed by the same company that made my processor: Snapdragon. (I have the SGH-i337)

Yesterday I was at 42% after 15h 19m with the screen on for 1 hr 32min. Right now I'm at 49% after 11h 51m with 1h 49m on the screen. I use it very little as a phone, mostly SMS and apps. I've some real frustrating battery issues in the past so I've tried so many things. It would sometimes get really hot with a fast drain lasting barely 8 hours. Unfortunately I switched to a new battery at the same time I switched to the Greenpower app, so I don't know which of the two is more responsible for it being much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Chandra View Post
    How much phone usage are you getting ?