Unlocking Verizon S4 for Use on Sprint Network

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Long story short, my job is upgrading our phones to S5 on Verizon. I would like to give my wife my current S4 but we are on Sprint. Does anyone have a step-by-step tutorial on how to unlock the S4 or should I go to my reputable retailer? For reference, he will charge me $50 and have it done in 15-30 minutes. Is doing it myself worth the time and money savings or is it difficult enough to warrant the expense?

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi mobilecrackers. Thanks for this. I am definitely not new to Android. My current S4 is rooted. When I get the S5, I will use the xda link you provided on the S4. Much appreciated.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 is factory sim unlocked. So no need to unlock anything for gsm carriers. Sprint is a CDMA carrier and as such the imei must be in their database, but Sprint only allows Sprint phones on their network. There is no legal way to get a Verizon phone onto the Sprint network

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Sprint is a CDMA carrier and as such the imei must be in their database, but Sprint only allows Sprint phones on their network. There is no legal way to get a Verizon phone onto the Sprint network

Hi dpham00. Thanks for the clarification. I did not know this. While I respect your comment, can you point me to any Sprint documentation that confirms what you stated? I know I can sell the S4 but my wife's new career demands a much better phone than she has now (iPhone 4S). Thanks again.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi dpham00. Thanks for the clarification. I did not know this. While I respect your comment, can you point me to any Sprint documentation that confirms what you stated? I know I can sell the S4 but my wife's new career demands a much better phone than she has now (iPhone 4S). Thanks again.

Not Sprint documentation but discusses cdma phones in general.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2069847,00.asp

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
"...if it isn't on the serial number list of the network you're bringing it to, it won't work. And the carriers won't add individual new serial numbers to their databases....carriers have cracked down recently. Verizon, Alltel, and Sprint all say they absolutely will not activate any phone that isn't already in their database."

Well that just sucks. Although the article is seven years old, it seems pretty definitive. The only other thing I can do, at this point, is call Sprint directly. I appreciate the time you took to assist me with this.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is att or tmobile an option? It would work, with certain limitations on those carriers

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
AT&T may be an option. She works in real estate and her firm has AT&T extenders in each of their offices. What are the limitations? No 4G? One of the Sprint reps hinted that, even if they add the Verizon phone to the Sprint network, their would be no 4G.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You should get 4g but not 4glte.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for your advice. After discussing this further, she is going to get the Note 3 from AT&T.

Not sure if it is still good, but the refurb Note 3 was $250 on contract last week.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah sorry I mistyped. It was $250 off contract. And recently changed to free on contract

dvauier

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
It seems the question is can I use my new Verizon Galaxy s4 phone on a sprint network. Many say no but I think you can.
So here’s the way the different companies customize their phones. Verizon, sprint, AT&T and the others get a whole bunch of s4 cell phones from Samsung. They are all the same by model and use the same hardware. Each company runs these phones through a customizing process that puts certain apps and features and startup screens on the phones. The most important part of the customization is the serial number which identifies the phone to that particular carrier. The serial numbers, or IMEI, MEID or DSN is special by phone model. I notice that they are different lengths depending in the model. my s2 is 18 long. the s4 is 15.

It seems it is possible to adapt a Version phone to the Sprint network or AT&T because all you need is a clear DSN for that carrier. Federal law prohibits the “fraudulent” modification of DSNs so all you have to do is find somebody who owns a totally broken phone and has a clear DSN. You can then buy the rights to that DSN and then flash it into your phone and you have not broken any laws.

Tom LaGrutta

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
It seems it is possible to adapt a Version phone to the Sprint network or AT&T because all you need is a clear DSN for that carrier. Federal law prohibits the “fraudulent” modification of DSNs so all you have to do is find somebody who owns a totally broken phone and has a clear DSN. You can then buy the rights to that DSN and then flash it into your phone and you have not broken any laws.

Yes, this is EXACTLY what I'd like to do but don't know how. My sprint S4 died, can't afford to replace, and my neighbor have me his old Verizon S4 (not stolen). All i want to do is flash the req ID info from my S4 onto his so i can't now use his phone on the sprint Network. No malfeasance! I could even provide the current ESN(s) for vetting on 1 of the many sites that chec k that info.

If someone who knows how to do this, flash ESN, could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!