Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts

Default Galaxy S5 user need help from s4 users, specifically Verizon Variant.

Since the S5 just came out, not a lot of information out on the internet so i figured ill ask s4 users.

So i just received a verizon S5, i am on ATT. The reason why i have a verizon device is because it was given to me for free, i didn't have a choice. After attempts to sell or trade for an ATT variant failed, i figured lets just try to get it to work on ATT and it now works with my att sim. This is ATT sim, not straight talk.

So after searching for ATT APNs, i was able to get voice, messaging and hspa+ data to work. i Understand no LTE, but i am ok with just hspa+, probably better battery life?

Some issues remain:

1 cant send or receive MMS
    2 no tethering
    3 not sure how to access my voice mail.

I've never really used an android device, i used an s3 for like a month or so. I have minimum experience with galaxy as i am an iphone/wnidows phone user.

In any case, i tried looking for MMS apns to set up and none have worked, i can't seem to get pictures sent through text nor can receive one to another user. I've double checked the APN settings to match up and still doesnt work. So i am looking for somebody that may be in the same scenario as me with an S4 and see if they can help me get MMS to work. Perhaps screen shotting the APN settings?

Also, is it possible to get tethering to work using a verizon device on ATT network? the phone probably looking for verizon information, but wondering if there was some type of trick to get tethering to work with ATT data plan. My plan does have tethering.

Also how to acces voicemail, when i try to call voicemail, just calls my number, but doesn't go through.

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Galaxy S5 user need help from s4 users, specifically Verizon Variant.

If I recall correctly, the Verizon S5 is factory-unlocked, so as long as the radios are compatible, ATT SHOULD be able to configure everything for you, no questions asked (even if you unlocked the device, they should ask anything to configure your new device). Sometimes they can even send these config settings via SMS, so you don't even have to go to a store.

As for the tethering, if the device is factory-unlocked, the option should be there in the settings. If not, then probably the option was removed by Verizon on their ROMs.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy S5 user need help from s4 users, specifically Verizon Variant.

These were the settings i used. Anything missing?

at&t apn settings 4G details:

If you have a 4G phone (e.g. iPhone 5, Galaxy S4, HTC one, etc) you should try using these at&t apn settings 4G. They run faster and more stable connections.

Name: ATT HSPA+
    APN: phone
    Proxy: <Leave in Blank>
    Port: <Leave in Blank>
    Username: <Leave in Blank>
    Password: <Leave in Blank>
    Server: <Leave in Blank>
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: <Leave in Blank>
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
    APN Protocol: Leave it to the Default one
    Bearer: leave it to the Default one
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts

repost
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts

repost
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts

att tried to help, but still not working. anybody?